Subscribe to this Thread…
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Leafsunbear
    Also, be careful of salt-substitutes like Mrs. Dash because they replace sodium with postassium chloride and that's bad for us too!

Mawf;
    So that is what you posted that I was responding to. You completely gave missinformation on Mrs. Dash. I sought to clear up that error. Yes that stuff called salt free salt substitute, it does use potassium chloride and it dangerous. Mrs Dash on the other hand uses all natural ingredients and I seriously doubt you would have any problem with it. Maybe if you were just eating it, then maybe you could have trouble with it. I don't know maybe you are on real low potassium restriction. I can not truly say about your situation, because I don't know it. I agree that we should check every label. I have given this same advice in other threads. My personal favorite is how some things say Low Sodium. Then you check the label and you are like," what is there concept on regular sodium?". Canned Tuna fish is the worst about this. I have found cans of tuna with as little as 25mg's of sodium per serving. I have also seen cans with as much as 225mg's sodium per serving and they were labeled low sodium. So yes check the labels, but did you ever actually say that in any of your posts? Also about soy milk versus regular milk, they have an almost equal level of potassium. Rice milk is the very best choice for dialysis patients, but in saying that you should always inform people not to get the enriched version of rice milk. Which is the most commonly available type of rice milk. Rice dream has the original version that is not enriched. That is the best choice for dialysis patients. If you are going to buy the enriched kind than you should just as well be drinking yummy organic milk instead, it's real creamy. Does everyone know about sensipar? It has worked miracles with many peoples phophorous levels and their PTH too. Also that on Home Hemo you may actually be asked to take a phosphorous pill instead of a binder. My phosphorous was 3.1 last month, I have been drinking Organic Whole Milk all month, YAY. I don't dare say or believe that I have all the answers for everyone. I do however beleive that if you are going to give information out you should try and give good information out. You never mentioned checking labels and you gave incorrect information about the ingredients of Mrs. Dash. So no anxiety caused here, kinda funny you actually thought you did. As far as me," Mrs. Dash it away then." well I don't have to use Mrs dash cause I use regular sea salt and spices to flavor my food. That is the joy I experience being on HOme Hemo, but I remember being on Incenter Hemo and Mrs dash sure made some chicken taste a bit better before I learned more about cooking my own food.
    Peace;
    LSB

kidknee5

low potassium diet

Sorry to hear about your husband's new dietary restrictions. Low potassium diets are very difficult to adhere by. Have you tried dairydelicious (www.dairydelicious.com)? It is the only milk product I have found that is made for kidney patients. I don't think they make creamers, but maybe adding a tiny amount of almond extract would give a similar flavor.

Hope this helps!

RiverDog
    Quote Originally Posted by polarice
    In response to kidknee5, I would be careful with the DD line of products. My husband incorporated their milk into his diet and became ill. Our doctor says there are very large batch to batch variations in the milk, so the amount of potassium/phosphorus he was "counting" was off substantially. Once he quit using the product he felt much better.
    Does his doctor have actually proof of this or was it his/her opinion?

Reason being I have seen way too many doctors say something just because they did not actually know.

Considering that DD is marketed specifically to renal patients I would imagine they would have a disclaimer to this affect if it was occurring.

One should remember that PO4 and K are easily absorbed when they are in the form of milk ,no matter if it is DD or regular milk.

This is also the same with soda. Even though soda (colas) only has about 18-20 mg of PO4 per serving it is easily absorbed and why most patients are told to avoid colas.

polarice

Potassium in Milk

Riverdog,

I'm very sorry for the misinformation. It was the doctor's opinion based on half facts. My husband was not sticking to his diet--and didn't let me or his doctor know! DD products should be more than fine as long as you stick to your diet!

disndat

potassium in sodium substitutes

Hi, I'll list a few things which have potassium in them. Another thing you can do is search the internet for potassium contents of foods. Kidney sites usually have some information on this as well.
    Salt substitutes are almost all potassium based. They're very bad if you're actually on dialysis. Check with your doctor as you may still be able to use sprinklings of this on the food as it sounds as if he hasn't started dialysis as of now. Tomatoes, oranges, orange juice, turnip greens, all kinds of things you wouldn't imagine. There are lots of things you can still use though so don't despair. You're doing the right thing by asking questions from folks who know and have had the experience. Best of luck!

Here is a link to a website with specific nutrient content of foods -- you can choose the nutrient (ie, in this case Potassium), and you can sort by alphabetical order, or by content order (highest-lowest).

http://www.ars.usda.gov/Main/docs

See the above posting by the Moderator on 12/13 for more info. Best Wishes.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    The response of this moderator is not an attempt to address a specific condition. Please note that the DaVita.com discussion forums do not provide medical advice or professional opinions about specific conditions. The purpose of the discussion forums is to provide an opportunity for individuals to discuss end stage renal disease and related topics. The discussion forms are not a substitute for professional medical care. For questions or

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Leafsunbear
    Also, be careful of salt-substitutes like Mrs. Dash because they replace sodium with postassium chloride and that's bad for us too!

Mawf;
    So that is what you posted that I was responding to. You completely gave missinformation on Mrs. Dash. I sought to clear up that error. Yes that stuff called salt free salt substitute, it does use potassium chloride and it dangerous. Mrs Dash on the other hand uses all natural ingredients and I seriously doubt you would have any problem with it. Maybe if you were just eating it, then maybe you could have trouble with it. I don't know maybe you are on real low potassium restriction. I can not truly say about your situation, because I don't know it. I agree that we should check every label. I have given this same advice in other threads. My personal favorite is how some things say Low Sodium. Then you check the label and you are like," what is there concept on regular sodium?". Canned Tuna fish is the worst about this. I have found cans of tuna with as little as 25mg's of sodium per serving. I have also seen cans with as much as 225mg's sodium per serving and they were labeled low sodium. So yes check the labels, but did you ever actually say that in any of your posts? Also about soy milk versus regular milk, they have an almost equal level of potassium. Rice milk is the very best choice for dialysis patients, but in saying that you should always inform people not to get the enriched version of rice milk. Which is the most commonly available type of rice milk. Rice dream has the original version that is not enriched. That is the best choice for dialysis patients. If you are going to buy the enriched kind than you should just as well be drinking yummy organic milk instead, it's real creamy. Does everyone know about sensipar? It has worked miracles with many peoples phophorous levels and their PTH too. Also that on Home Hemo you may actually be asked to take a phosphorous pill instead of a binder. My phosphorous was 3.1 last month, I have been drinking Organic Whole Milk all month, YAY. I don't dare say or believe that I have all the answers for everyone. I do however beleive that if you are going to give information out you should try and give good information out. You never mentioned checking labels and you gave incorrect information about the ingredients of Mrs. Dash. So no anxiety caused here, kinda funny you actually thought you did. As far as me," Mrs. Dash it away then." well I don't have to use Mrs dash cause I use regular sea salt and spices to flavor my food. That is the joy I experience being on HOme Hemo, but I remember being on Incenter Hemo and Mrs dash sure made some chicken taste a bit better before I learned more about cooking my own food.
    Peace;
    LSB
    LSB,
    I agree with you that the dieticians donít always know all the facts, since as you said they arenít the ones on the diet. I am an in-center hemo patient and over the past few years have had some challenges with my P and PTH levels. I am on Sensipar and also Fosrenol and sometimes Renagel. I was wondering about the rice milk you mentioned. I have never tried rice milk (you mentioned Rice Dream and Iíve seen in at the store) but I use soymilk. I am aware that it is higher in potassium than milk, but I use it occasionally on cereal. Iíve never been a big milk drinker and actually lost the taste for it in my teens. I do really like the Silk soymilk, at least the vanilla flavor, which my dietician told me is the better choice since out of the 3 or 4 versions of Silk it is the lowest (strangely enough, even lower than the ďregularĒ flavor!). Have you tried it, and if so, would you still prefer the rice milk to the soymilk? I read that you are able to drink organic milkÖ I will have to go check the label the next time I am at the store. I have found that doing that plus searching online to find out K & P amounts is sometimes better than asking the dietician, although I would still ask mine for her opinion since in general she has been pretty helpful. Anyway, any suggestions you can offer on the rice milk vs. soymilk situation would be helpful.

Thanks and keep up your spirits! I enjoy reading your postsÖ you make a lot of sense and have posted some good comments.

Peace and be well!
    PurpleGirl
    Knowledge is Power!

Leafsunbear
    Brandy;
    First of all I want to tell you that I am on Home Hemo and do six eight hour treatments a week. My Phosphorous levels are low now and milk and cheese are now in my diet. So please know that is why I can drink milk. About the RIce dream versus Soy milk, The Silk Soy Milk is one of the best tasting milk alternatives there is. Rice dream is a bit watery to be honest. If you do drink Rice Dream only use the regular, non- enriched version. The enriched stuff is just as bad as anything else. They have it in the vanilla flavor and it is lower in stuff then soy or milk. If you only eat it on cereal it will be great for you. Maybe give yourself a carton of soy milk as a treat once a month or something. Mix it up some, but if you have a high phosphorous you need to get it down. I am speaking from twelve years experience and also having a high Phosphorous for a long part of that. My heart and veins are calcified now and I have Osteopenia. High phosphorous can become dissabling after a long time. I understand that no matter how well you follow the diet some times it just won't go down though. Please take care of yourself.
    Thank you for the kind words about my posts. I know that I rub a few people wrong from time to time around here. It is hard to see the compassion in a persons eyes when you are just reading their words. Thank you for acknowledging me and giving support. I truly appreciate it.
    Peace;
    LSB

LSB,
    Sorry I only just got back to this thread this morning. Youíre welcome for the comments. I know all too well what you mean about coming off the wrong way sometimes in these posts. No one really knows us in a personal sense on here, and youíre right in that you canít tell how someone is implying his or her comment. We all mean well and can only offer words of encouragement and suggestions based on our own experiences. I donít ever intend to come off as a know-it-all (hardly!) but I do try to offer what I can because maybe it will give someone an idea in their head to ask a different question or think of things from a different perspective. Thatís one of the things I enjoy myself from these posts. There is such a variety of people and experiences here that, even though weíre all spread out over the globe and have had different situations, weíre all in this crazy boat together and it makes me feel less alone in it all. Know what I mean? ;-)

As for your suggestions on the rice milk, I havenít picked any up yet. The last time I went to the store was merely a quick trip to get some staples. I still want to check out those labels for the rice milk vs. soymilk vs. organic milk. I mention the organic milk because perhaps after my transplant I might want to try that when it wouldnít really matter which one I drank. For now though, I think your suggestion of the once-a-month-treat for the soymilk is a good idea. I really like that Silk Vanilla, so Iím just a little apprehensive to try the rice milk. It reminds me of when my mom tried to get me to like Brussel sprouts when I was a kid! LOL. Alas, I am still curious and will at least scope it out at the store.

I guess I could say youíre ďluckyĒ since you can factor the cheese and other dairy back into your diet; then again, six 8-hr home hemo sessions donít sound that fun either. It sounds like youíve done it all and found what works for you the longest, and thatís good at least. Do you have to have someone at home to help you with the home hemo or do you just do it yourself?

You can email me privately if you wish.
    Take care, and peace be with you.
    Oh yeah, Happy Valentineís Day!
    PurpleGirl
    Knowledge is Power!

Pat F

Smile Low Potassium Diet

Hi,

I just got out of the hospital after 8 days with renal failure and am now on Dialysis with a low potassium diet. They told me to stay away from oranges, tomatoes, chocolate. (Ouch, I am a chocolaholic!) bananas. All foods have potassium but these are the highest. When you eat mashed potatoes you much soak them first in water for at least three hours, then dump the water (this leaches out the potassium) . The Dialysis nurses explained all of this and I also have much written information. They also said I could have any type of non diary mild product. I hope this helps and I wish you the very best........Pat F

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast