Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi all,

Hi to everyone and Happy Thanksgiving.
    I have not been diagnosed yet but going through the testing process and meeting with my Nephrologist on Dec 1st to see where I am at. I was hoping for some insight as I am just learning about CKD.
    I have had proteinuria for a number of years, discovered while applying for life insurance. Had a couple 24 hour tests done as well as some blood work and the result was just benign protein. Fast forward 8 years and at age 61, I find myself getting up sometimes 2 or 3 times a night to urinate. My last protein test was 22 and my GFR was 95 in August. I also have a weird taste in my mouth which I seem to be able to ignore but becomes more obvious to me as I am attempting to go to sleep.
    From everything I read my symptoms seem to indicate early CKD. I am diabetic which I control with my diet and no longer taking meds, my blood pressure ranges from 120 over 70 to 140 over 85 currently taking Amoldopine (sic). Neither my BP or my BG has ever been wildly out of control so I am not sure how or why I could have gotten CKD, but with the protein in my urine somewhere I did some kidney damage. Other symptoms I am experiencing include a strange kind of balance issue where I feel like I am rocking back and forth as I stand and itchy skin, occasionally if I sit too long my feet and lower legs get a little swollen but most of the time they are fine.
    I would love to hear from anyone that may of started with symptoms similar to mine. Obviously I will do whatever it takes to work towards controlling my progression. I am just a little concerned at what I should expect with progression. Thanks in advance, and best of luck to everyone.

If your GFR is 95 then you probably don't have anything to worry about. As for wondering why you would have it(if you do) Blood pressure and diabetes are not the only ways to get CKD. I got it from taking to many NSAIDS throughout my life. I don't have high blood pressure or diabetes. I am stage 3 and losing protein. Sometimes in later stages they say you can get a metallic taste in your mouth and swelling. Some of the things you can do just in case are drink plenty of fluid. Start exercising and get overall healthy. Hopefully you won't have to worry. Good Luck at your next doctors appt.

Comment

Thanks for the response.
      What I have been told and from what I have read, if you have protein in your urine and a GFR over 90 you are in stage 1 of CKD, The protein is the key, it's odd that I have some of these other symptoms because most happen in the later stages (again from what I have read). I am hoping that the taste in my mouth is caused from my BP meds and the Nocturia is from some other minor malody. Thats why I was asking if anyone else started with the symptoms that I have.
      Regards

Comment

Muhney1 I did have the dizziness and itchy skin at one point. But I did notice that when I was well hydrated it went away. The dizziness was a strange kind of dizzy in my case. Almost a dazed kind of dizzy if that makes since. Just a thought but even though you say you have your diabetes under control have you thought that your nocturia could be caused by that? Also the leg swelling may be a diabetic issue. My husband is diabetic and he gets up every night several times and his legs swell also. As for the taste in your mouth do you by any chance have allergies? I have had allergies/nasal polyps for many years and one thing about them is that it changed the taste in my mouth. Now that I have them under control my taste is back to normal. My allergist used to ask if I had a metallic taste in my mouth. Also Although you may well have CKD a GFR over 90 could be normal at your age. As we get older the GFR does naturally decline. If you are at 90 now you may never face dialysis.(not sure with the proteinuria) Also FYI my nephrologist nurse said that Amoldopine was not good on the kidneys but Lisinopril was okay. I hope you get the answers you are looking for when you get to your nephrologist. Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

Comment

My fasting BG is 90-95 and after a meal less than 120. I don't test but once or twice a day so I guess I could have exceptions but I would be surprised. It will spike if I have fruit but still only around 140. So I am pretty sure none of this is caused by the diabetes.
          I will know more after I get all the test results back with updated numbers. Thanks for your input, and Happy Holidays.

Comment

So tomorrow I meet with the Nephrologist to discuss my blood and urine tests of the last 4 weeks. I did get a call from his office today wanting to change my BP meds from the Amolodopine I have been taking to an ACE inhibitor. I was on an ACE class BP med a few years ago and had to go off because of severe coughing.I am not sure what this all means but I guess I will find out soon.
            What should I be looking for in my blood and urine tests? I understand the GFR, but not sure what other measurements I should be concerned about.
            Any help is appreciated.

Comment

You should be aware of your creatinine, phosphorus and potassium. (These are the things they tell you to follow with kidney disease) The creatinine is the thing that calculates your GFR (along with other factors). Again 90 is still at normal range in GFR. If you drop below that then your kidneys aren't functioning properly. Unless you have a lot of protein loss then you will most likely not ever get to stage 5. Also they may be able to stop the protein loss if they find the cause. I hope you get good news at the nephrologists office.

Comment

Well my news today was fantastic. As 1scaredycat mentioned my kidney function is good. I am still spilling protein but it's not any more than it was years ago, my GFR and other tests were all in the normal range. My other symptoms are most likely from my BP medicine which is getting changed, and I may have a slightly overactive bladder. All in all a really good report compared to what I was initially told.
                Thanks for your response 1scaredycat, I hope everything goes well for you and everyone else here. I have always been aware of watching my BG and BP and will be even more going forward. Happy Holidays!!

Comment

Fantastic! I am happy for you. I know how scary it can be to think your kidneys are failing so I am very happy that is not your situation. Happy Holidays to you!

Comment

Working...
                  X