New Kid on the Block.. - Welcome to the myDaVita Kidney Disease and Dialysis Forums

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Kid on the Block..

Page Title Module
Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Kid on the Block..

Hello everyone, I haven't been formally diagnosed with CKD, but my recent lab work shows that I am in Stage 3. My Dr. ordered an ultrasound of my kidneys as back in January I had a CT scan (prior to my hysterectomy) and there was a cyst on my left kidney. The ultrasound was Friday, so I don't have the results just yet.
    After reading some of the information here, I feel a little concerned that my doctor hasn't discussed CKD with me. I will certainly have some questions for her. Should I be concerned at this point? I don't have the lab results, just a visit summary stating I have CKD Stage III (Moderate) GFR 30-59.
    The reason I stumbled across this site is I have been feeling quite fatigued as of late and then remembered the visit summary, so I looked up CKD. Fatigue was one of the first symptoms mentioned.
    Anyway, Just checking in and hope to hear more form others.
    Blessings to you and yours,
    Gloria

The Drs don't want to tell you that eventually you will need a new kidney (transplant) and do dialysis until you can find a match for you. This process usually takes about 3 years. Start asking friends and family to get tested to see if they are a match and if they are ask them to donate a kidney. Otherwise you will have to wait until some one dies to get a matched kidney. CKD is a huge life altering event. The outcomes are limited 1.) get a transplant 2.) start dialysis
    3.)adjust to a very restrictive lifestyle. CKD has the potential to shorten your life dramatically, if you let it, or you can fight for your life and take great care of yourself.

Comment

Hello Glory84 I am also stage 3. You ask if you should be concerned at this point. Yes it is right to be concerned. The first thing to remember is that everyone is different. What happens with one person doesn't necessarily happen to another. CKD means your kidneys are not functioning as they should. It is a progressive disease meaning the kidneys will get worse but you may be able to slow the progression. If you are closer to stage 2 than stage 4 than there is a good change you can stall the progression. You didn't say your age but it is possible that you may never reach dialysis. Just don't panic. There is a ton of information out there. What you can do is eat right, don't drink or smoke, exercise, drink plenty of water and don't take NSAIDs. (Advil,motrin ect.) Tell your doctor any medications you are using. Doctors don't seem to discuss a lot about CKD unfortunately. Just write down your questions and get them answered by the doctor. Also fatigue is a side effect but not everyone gets side effects in stage 3. I don't have any. Fatigue could be from anemia or a number of other things. Just don't panic. Take care.

Comment

Originally posted by 1scaredycat View Post
        Hello Glory84 I am also stage 3. You ask if you should be concerned at this point. Yes it is right to be concerned. The first thing to remember is that everyone is different. What happens with one person doesn't necessarily happen to another. CKD means your kidneys are not functioning as they should. It is a progressive disease meaning the kidneys will get worse but you may be able to slow the progression. If you are closer to stage 2 than stage 4 than there is a good change you can stall the progression. You didn't say your age but it is possible that you may never reach dialysis. Just don't panic. There is a ton of information out there. What you can do is eat right, don't drink or smoke, exercise, drink plenty of water and don't take NSAIDs. (Advil,motrin ect.) Tell your doctor any medications you are using. Doctors don't seem to discuss a lot about CKD unfortunately. Just write down your questions and get them answered by the doctor. Also fatigue is a side effect but not everyone gets side effects in stage 3. I don't have any. Fatigue could be from anemia or a number of other things. Just don't panic. Take care.

Thank you for responding, I'll be 50 next June. This has been a difficult "Health" year, dealing with lots of pain prior to a hysterectomy and then the changes associated with that. I was doing pretty good until a couple months ago, I just started feeling so run down. I have a list started to talk with my Dr. about.
        Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by Loganwon View Post
          The Drs don't want to tell you that eventually you will need a new kidney (transplant) and do dialysis until you can find a match for you. This process usually takes about 3 years. Start asking friends and family to get tested to see if they are a match and if they are ask them to donate a kidney. Otherwise you will have to wait until some one dies to get a matched kidney. CKD is a huge life altering event. The outcomes are limited 1.) get a transplant 2.) start dialysis
          3.)adjust to a very restrictive lifestyle. CKD has the potential to shorten your life dramatically, if you let it, or you can fight for your life and take great care of yourself.
          Thank you for your thoughts

Comment

Glory84 another thing about your blood work is sometimes it may look like you have kidney disease but it might just be a problem they haven't found yet and not kidney disease that is causing your numbers to go crazy. My doctor did 3 different blood workups one month apart to make sure it was kidney disease. Since they haven't officially diagnosed you don't jump the gun just yet. See what the doctor says before you panic. Since you said you have had a bad time recently with your health it may just be that showing in your blood work. It may just bounce back. Don't rule it out just yet. Here is hoping or good news for you. Let us know how things go.

Comment

Originally posted by 1scaredycat View Post
              Glory84 another thing about your blood work is sometimes it may look like you have kidney disease but it might just be a problem they haven't found yet and not kidney disease that is causing your numbers to go crazy. My doctor did 3 different blood workups one month apart to make sure it was kidney disease. Since they haven't officially diagnosed you don't jump the gun just yet. See what the doctor says before you panic. Since you said you have had a bad time recently with your health it may just be that showing in your blood work. It may just bounce back. Don't rule it out just yet. Here is hoping or good news for you. Let us know how things go.
              Thanks for that information..the ckd has been on my "problem list" I get in my visit summary from the dr for the past year or so, so it's not necessarily something new. I just didn't get concerned until recently I wont get to worried until I speak with my dr again. Thanks for the encouraging words.

Comment

Working...
              X