X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a question

I was at urgent care and they took a urine test and said that bilirubin +1 and trace ketones. Does anyone know what that means?

When bilirubin is present in the blood or in the urine it may indicate some sort of dysfunction in the body. Common causes of bilirubin in the urine are biliary obstruction and hepatitis. Medications can also cause this. About the ketones are you diabetic? If not it could be that you are dehydrated or need a few carbs in your body.
    What Are Ketones?
    Ketone bodies are acids made when your body begins using fat instead of carbohydrates for energy. When there is not enough insulin to get sugar from the blood and into the cells, the body turns to fat for energy. When fat is broken down, ketone bodies are made and can accumulate in the body. High levels of ketones are toxic to the body. The condition is called ketoacidosis.

Ketones are most likely to show up when there is not enough insulin in the body. This can happen if people who have type 1 diabetes don’t take insulin or don’t take enough to meet higher demands, such as during illness or stress, or when a pump gets clogged or unattached. It can also happen in people with type 2 diabetes who are insulin-deficient if they get sick.

You may have ketone bodies without having ketoacidosis if your diet is very low in carbohydrates or very low in calories and nutrients.

Comment

I just have a general question that I can't seem to find an answer to. My husband has been on dialysis for 7 years. Lately his eyes are swollen when he wakes up and there are bags under his eyes. This must be from fluid retention....can someone please tell me how much fluid is acceptable for him to drink in a day including jello, ice cream etc...They have been taking a lot of weight off him and this is exhausting him...please help and thanks! Melinda

Comment

Originally posted by mellen623 View Post
        I just have a general question that I can't seem to find an answer to. My husband has been on dialysis for 7 years. Lately his eyes are swollen when he wakes up and there are bags under his eyes. This must be from fluid retention....can someone please tell me how much fluid is acceptable for him to drink in a day including jello, ice cream etc...They have been taking a lot of weight off him and this is exhausting him...please help and thanks! Melinda
        Fluid intake is contingent about his body weight and activity level. The remedy for the puffiness is to sleep with your head slightly elevated so that the fluid drains downward. Similar to if your feet swell then elevating your feet makes the fluid drain back down towards your midsection. Elevating your head does the same thing only in the opposite direction. It does not have to be a large elevation, try a couple of inches to start with and see what happens. Good luck.

Comment

I would ask his dialysis nurse how much fluid he should be drinking. It probably isn't much. Maybe someone on here can give you a general guideline. I am not on dialysis but here is what I found for you and think I have heard it from someone else on here.

A liter of water weighs one kilo (2.2 lbs). With no kidney function, your fluid limit on in-center hemodialysis will be about 1 liter per day, or just under 32 ounces. Between dialysis treatments, you would be able to drink 2 liters and gain 2 kilos, or 4.4 lbs. If you weigh yourself at the same time each day, wearing the same clothes, you will know if you are on track. (If you make some urine - or do daily or nocturnal hemodialysis—you will be able to drink more fluids.
          Hope this helps.

Comment

hello I am writing for me and my husband. he is in renal failure . and now is a BAD dietbic. I dont know what to cook him . I am disabled also . If anyone has any thing that i cook him that is good PLEASE let me know , I am at at the point i dont know what to do ,I bake his food or use a pressure cooker for all of his foods I am very careful about the renal diet. I need something kind of simple because i have sezures and cant stand over the bruners . Please help He has been gong for 4 years to dializsis
            Last edited by edjones; 11-12-2015, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by edjones View Post
              hello I am writing for me and my husband. he is in renal failure . and now is a BAD dietbic. I dont know what to cook him . I am disabled also . If anyone has any thing that i cook him that is good PLEASE let me know , I am at at the point i dont know what to do ,I bake his food or use a pressure cooker for all of his foods I am very careful about the renal diet. I need something kind of simple because i have sezures and cant stand over the bruners . Please help He has been gong for 4 years to dializsis
              If you check out the davita recipes on here they have them labeled if they are good for diabetics or not. Hope that helps out some.

Comment

Originally posted by 1scaredycat View Post
                I would ask his dialysis nurse how much fluid he should be drinking. It probably isn't much. Maybe someone on here can give you a general guideline. I am not on dialysis but here is what I found for you and think I have heard it from someone else on here.

A liter of water weighs one kilo (2.2 lbs). With no kidney function, your fluid limit on in-center hemodialysis will be about 1 liter per day, or just under 32 ounces. Between dialysis treatments, you would be able to drink 2 liters and gain 2 kilos, or 4.4 lbs. If you weigh yourself at the same time each day, wearing the same clothes, you will know if you are on track. (If you make some urine - or do daily or nocturnal hemodialysis—you will be able to drink more fluids.
                Hope this helps.
                A lot of factors factor into how much liquid you can drink. I am very active, plus I spend a lot of time in the sauna and steam room as part of my passive workout phase. I drink about 3/4 gallon per day or about 100 oz of liquids per day. You have to remember that with every breath you exhale; some water is expelled from your body. If I only drink 64 oz or less per day then I get dehydrated. Everyone is different, when I was doing hemodialysis my blood was too thick to run through the machine at higher filtration rates if I drank too little water.

Comment

Originally posted by edjones View Post
                  Go to the dialysis center and sit down with the center's dietician, that's what they get paid to do, help people who are on dialysis, it is a free service and they are usually very helpful.

Comment

I am having bladder pain from peritoneal diyalis,what can I do to help

Comment

Yes everyone is different. I found this guideline on a mayo clinic site. It is of course just a guide. I also said she should ask her dialysis nurse who would know better than we would considering they actually see him during dialysis. I just gave it as a basic guide. Glad you have a different side to give her. I just hate that doctors don't give patients the needed information that they need to get by and feel the best they can. I am glad they can get different sides on this forum.

Comment

my creatinine levels were 308mmol/L and 1 month later it was 245mmol/L what would cause these changers perhaps diet yes/no.thanks vince

Comment

Originally posted by 1scaredycat View Post
                          Yes everyone is different. I found this guideline on a mayo clinic site. It is of course just a guide. I also said she should ask her dialysis nurse who would know better than we would considering they actually see him during dialysis. I just gave it as a basic guide. Glad you have a different side to give her. I just hate that doctors don't give patients the needed information that they need to get by and feel the best they can. I am glad they can get different sides on this forum.
                          You are exactly right, the Dr's guard their knowledge and treat people like they are too stupid to understand anything. People also have a Dr tell them something and then follow the Dr's advice like it is the word from God. I think everyone should get 2nd opinions and educate themselves also. Drs can be wrong and frequently are wrong. Good luck in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by constablev View Post
                            my creatinine levels were 308mmol/L and 1 month later it was 245mmol/L what would cause these changers perhaps diet yes/no.thanks vince
                            Yes the amount of protein you eat raises or lowers creatinine levels as does exercise. Weight training raises creatinine levels because your muscles create it through the breakdown process of creatine. Creatinine is the waste product of creatine.
                            Last edited by Loganwon; 11-14-2015, 12:20 AM.

Comment

Thank you so much for the information. My primary doctor looked at it and said for my CKD, it was normal.

Comment

Working...
                              X