I'm getting my fistula on Nov 19 and I am scared... - Welcome to the myDaVita Kidney Disease and Dialysis Forums

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm getting my fistula on Nov 19 and I am scared...

Page Title Module
Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm getting my fistula on Nov 19 and I am scared...

On Nov 19 I will get my fistula put in and shortly after that the Nephrologist says I will start dialysis...I am scared, alone, and feel like life is over for me...
    I am handicapped, leglly blind and now this happens to me...My friends don't understand what is going on and badly I feel...

You won't start dialysis using a fistula for a couple of months because it has to mature to be able to be used. You will start with a perm cath in your chest most likely. Don't worry both are simple procedures. Dialysis is not the end of your life. You will do fine, everyone feels like you do at some point even if the feelings go away quickly, almost everyone has had those same feelings. Enjoy what you can when you can and you will be fine. Good luck and I hope you feel better real soon.

Comment

I am new to davita and I understand how you feel. Life is definitely not over, in time you will realize that. I know you must be a courageous person because you are here. You are not alone and you will get a lot of information and support here. Please be patient and hang in there. Good to meet you. If you need to talk, message me.

Comment

Hello khmike1. I am sorry you are going through this. But you are not alone. Although I am only stage 3 I understand your fear. There are many people on here that have been where you are and will tell you it will get better. Your life isn't over. Yes it will be different. It will be a pain sometimes but as you get to know the routine it will get better. You can do this.

Comment

I have the the chest cath. and have started dialysis for past 2 weeks. Im waiting for my Fistula to be put in. I have to admit at the very begin I was afraid and a nervous mess. I found the more I learned and was told helped me greatly. Ask questions, this is a big life change, but it dose get easier. Get a close friend involved it will not be so lonely and its always less lonely GOOD LUCK

Comment

Anyone getting a Fistula, make sure they staple or suture the incision closed. Mine was glued shut and after a week it broke back open and I almost bled to death. I lost 3 1/2 pints of blood and my core temperature dropped to 94.2 degrees, that is what saved my life. I had it sutured bedside ( which is very painful) even with a local.

After they put in the fistula it will take approximately around 8 - 10 weeks to mature before it can be used. What they do is graft an artery to a vein which is where the name AV fistula comes from. If you are doing hemodialysis or might do hemo in the future an AV fistula is the Gold standard. Much less chance of infection and you can swim or shower as much as you like, Good Luck.

Comment

After 4 years of being on Peritoneal dialysis my health deterated rapidly and now in hospital rehab. They have removed the PD catheter and inserted a semi permanent port. I will be gettng a fistula soon. A whole new way of life. With the PD dialyasis we traveled in and ourt of the country. Now with dialysis 3x a week, how do we cope. And a new type of diet. Wife & I are in our mid/late 80s. this will be a big adjustment for us. Also legally blind, so wife has to do all driving and taking care of me. We need all the encouragement we can get.

Comment

Originally posted by Iquique View Post
                With the PD dialyasis we traveled in and ourt of the country. Now with dialysis 3x a week, how do we cope. And a new type of diet. Wife & I are in our mid/late 80s. this will be a big adjustment for us. Also legally blind, so wife has to do all driving and taking care of me. We need all the encouragement we can get.
                If you traveled before you can still travel you will just need to plan a little more. Your dialysis center should be able to set you up for dialysis in the area you are going or close to it. You can do it.

Comment

I have been on in center dialysis and go on two or three week vacations a year. The dialysis center sets up everything including with the insurance. I usually tell them when I will be about a month or two ahead of time. You can do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Iquique View Post
                    After 4 years of being on Peritoneal dialysis my health deterated rapidly and now in hospital rehab. They have removed the PD catheter and inserted a semi permanent port. I will be gettng a fistula soon. A whole new way of life. With the PD dialyasis we traveled in and ourt of the country. Now with dialysis 3x a week, how do we cope. And a new type of diet. Wife & I are in our mid/late 80s. this will be a big adjustment for us. Also legally blind, so wife has to do all driving and taking care of me. We need all the encouragement we can get.
                    The biggest adjustment going from pd to hemo is limiting your fluid intake. Because for all the liquid you put into you body the hemo has to take it back out and in a much shorter time span. I used to get massive cramps from hemo almost everytime, until I managed to drink less than 60 ounces of liquid over a 2 day period.

Traveling is no big deal , just make the arrangements ahead of time, good luck to you and God Bless you.

Comment

Originally posted by Loganwon View Post
                      You won't start dialysis using a fistula for a couple of months because it has to mature to be able to be used. You will start with a perm cath in your chest most likely. Don't worry both are simple procedures. Dialysis is not the end of your life. You will do fine, everyone feels like you do at some point even if the feelings go away quickly, almost everyone has had those same feelings. Enjoy what you can when you can and you will be fine. Good luck and I hope you feel better real soon.
                      Thanks for letting me know that I will start with some other catheter. Thanks too for the encouraging information. As I said, I am scared, I live alone and if something happens I may be in deep trouble.I don't know what can go wrong so I cannot plan for it.
                      Again, thanks, Mike

Comment

Originally posted by niteskywatcher View Post
                        I am new to davita and I understand how you feel. Life is definitely not over, in time you will realize that. I know you must be a courageous person because you are here. You are not alone and you will get a lot of information and support here. Please be patient and hang in there. Good to meet you. If you need to talk, message me.
                        I am here because I have no other place to be to get answers to questions. You folks are terrific, thank for all for talking to me.

Comment

If you are doing pd at home, very little can go wrong. Like they say ,"follow the directions and you won't get infections". Home Hemo is a whole different animal. You have to have a partner to help with the needles with home hemo. PD is painless. Using a fistula is not. Look for a dialysis center near you and have them give you a tour if you haven't done that already. Every Davita employee I have ever met has been great and very helpful. It is a big hassle getting started, but keeping you on the right side of the grass is very important also.

Comment

Im right there with you, Scheduling for the fistula is on my list to do, but my doctor said I'm a great candidate for PD. I was diagnosed with stage 3 July 2012, and at the present stage 5. I've been on the transplant list for a year now. Sometimes i feel like any minute now I'm going to keeled over. i was scheduled for the fistula last year, but on the day of surgery, the attending nurse put the IV in the same arm that the fistula goes on. I hope you keep us posted what goes on after the fistula, I'm very interested.

Comment

Once you get a fistula, that arm can not have blood drawn or blood pressure checked using the arm with the fistula. It takes about 3 months to mature, grow together, for the artery and vein to become one.

Comment

Working...
                              X