scared and confused - Welcome to the myDaVita Kidney Disease and Dialysis Forums

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

scared and confused

Page Title Module
Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scared and confused

hi I would like any thoughts ideas or help I am a stage 4 almost a 5 with a gfr of 16. what do you think about vein graft versus fistula

Hey Sushismom from what I have read A fistula is the better choice. A graft is usually an artificial connection between your vein and artery while a fistula is a natural connection between vein and artery. The fistula is the natural choice. No artificial pieces to contend with.

Comment

thank you for your input I was leaning towards the fistula

Comment

I have the AV fistula, they graft an artery and a vein together. Very low risk of infection. Artificial grafts have a much higher rate of infection. AV fistula is the best way to do hemodialysis.

Comment

Not to mention that a graft, if it's not very deep, is really, REALLY ugly.

Comment

Originally posted by dac0214 View Post
            Not to mention that a graft, if it's not very deep, is really, REALLY ugly.
            Does your arm look normal with an AV fistula?

Comment

My Husband's AV fistula does look normal. I am his caregiver and we do home Hemodialysis and I access his AV fistula. I was so frightened about accessing through a buttonhole, but my biggest fear has turned into my easiest task. Find you a vascular surgeon you trust and go for it!

Comment

Arteriovenous fistula (AVF) is the "gold standard" of vascular access. Fewest use and performance problems, longest life and because it is your own tissue, no rejection issues. There are folks out there who had fistulas placed over 25 years ago and they are still working today.

Comment

Working...
                X