Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mamicat
    started a topic Just learned I have Stage 3 CKD

Just learned I have Stage 3 CKD

I am so grateful to have found this site because it is loaded with information and I look forward to learning from all of you. I have spent the past two days reading about this disease. My GFR is 35 and my Creatinine is 1.52. I am also pre-diabetic with Hgb Alc 6.3 glucose 104. LOVE food (especially unhealthy ones) so this feels like a real hurdle because of having the CDK & pre-diabetes. I am 5-10 pounds from my goal weight, and that is because I lost 29 pounds over the course of several months by using portion control. Fortunately I know how to cook low sodium because my husband is a heart transplant patient and I had to cook that way for him for over a year prior to transplant. He said he will join me in eating better. My first appointment with a nephrologist is August 10, so I'm sure I will learn more at that time. I am almost 68 years old...guess it is about time to start taking better care of myself!

• mlr0853
    replied
    Hi All!!!

Well Once Again, the Mighty Happy Kidney rises to the occasion of Renal Diet and Good Hydration!!! Two weeks ago I went to ER for IV fluids...my gfr was at 24%, prior to hydration. Previously at a hospital stay, my kidney function went down to 17% due to dehydration.with only one kidney, I was scared *hitless!!

Exiting the hospital, I was back up to 31% and Yesterday I got the results of sticking to my renal diet like scotch tape...32%!!!! Haaaahoooieeee!! This is why I keep harping on staying hydrated, Kidney Function Can Increase!!

I found this site that gives some really good explanation of CKD and the symptoms. Sometimes we feel so badly, yet to the outside world 'we look just fine' and family, friends, and others just don't get the 'it' of why we can't function. Perhaps showing this article to a loved one or friend, they might be more understanding of your illness.
    https://lifeoptions.org/learn-about-...ease-symptoms/

Haven't a clue why I can't get the underline 'gone'...tried and didn't work....so copy and paste

Unfortunately, my anemia has increased in number due to the lack of red blood cells...here is a link of how to increase hemoglobin and hemocrat levels.

https://www.google.com/searchq=how+to+raise+hematocrit+and+hemoglobin+lev els&oq=how+to+raise+hemocrat&aqs=chrome.3.69i57j0l 5.15477j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I just Love Love this article!!! I'm trying really hard to start living my life in a way to best support mind, body and soul. Some days I find when I'm really anxious, I now have methods to calm myself down. I guess you could say I've made a "Tool Box" of different ways to feel better. Sometimes, I need a bit of help to 'remember' what feels good.
    https://lifeoptions.org/learn-about-...e-a-good-life/

This is a listing of different tests that your nephrologist or a pcp can order to detect or determine the level of kidney function.
    https://medlineplus.gov/kidneytests.html

It's a pretty funky day here in CT, humid big time and cloudy. Not sure if rain is on it's way...sure would be a Great Thing to happen...been awhile!! So I'm going to chill out, feeling kind of tired after a 'full day' of running around yesterday...another 'Tool Box' is to reduce what bothers me...today it's my bedroom...needs some clean up and de-cluttering!

Hoping you'll have a Wonderful Day!!!

Take care, ml

List of cereals with high iron content. Do look for potassium, sodium, phosphorous levels.

https://tools.myfooddata.com/nutrien...&list=Detailed
    Last edited by mlr0853; 08-06-2019, 11:11 AM.

Leave a comment:

• mlr0853
    replied
    Hi All!!

My day yesterday was wonderful, couldn't have asked for more! I pushed past my fear, said bite the bullet and Got Into My Gardens!
    Oh did working feel good, also looking out my windows and not seeing the 3' tall weeds blowing in the wind sure did feel great too!!

After a sleepless night, I'm feeling some anxiety about tomorrow seeing my pcp...I'll get my nephrologist's blood work results. And the ones she ordered for me... 8 tubes in all! The last tests I had showed a BUN level of 25 ...so not cool. Today I'm really feeling the heat, my stomach from all fluids/veggies/fruits is really distended...glad I'm going to dr tomorrow! I've got to figure out how to stay hydrated...I know I'm not now from doing skin https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/003281.htm

I came across this website that describes with BUN is and how to lower it. https://www.wikihow.com/Lower-BUN-Levels another area I need to address, all will be determined based on current numbers. I'm seriously thinking of seeing my Urologist because of the up and down of my kidney function...I see him once a year, and that isn't until December.

My son is not doing much either, no PT or OT today....at least he has airconditioning ! I've got all my windows open for the nights cooler air and the fans blasting on full...hope where ever you are living, you are comfortable.

Please keep in your thoughts Texas and Ohio...and the Kennedy's..

Take Good Care, ml

Leave a comment:

• mlr0853
    replied
    Hi All!!

Well, I've had Quite The Challenging couple of days!!! Dear son came out of the hospital and is now in a nursing home/rehab facility. We 'got into to it' and that was not pretty, however we've now got to the point of OK, for the time being....as long as I don't say anything to bug him. Trying my best, as the stress is No Good For Me!!

Today I've reached the Young age of 66, and just puttering and doing whatever I want to do. Among the challenges with dear son, I've come to the conclusion that fear and control on my part because I want him 'safe' are at the base many of our conflicts.

Then I thought about my own life, how the tick bite has created a fear and taken control over people, places and things that I once did, but I'm afraid to do 'just incase' another tick bite.

So today I said No More as far as my son's life is concerned and No More to ticks. I just went Wild in my flower gardens with the weed wacker front and back yard gardens and wow, sure did feel good! Yes, I did have long pants and knee highs on, and some tick repellant ...I pushed past my fear and what a gift to me!! Not to mention every time I look out my windows, my stress will be reduced.

On topic, making our kidney happy. Well no matter how much water I drink I just can't keep hydrated. I'm up and down like a yo yo all night long in you know where!! so I'm not getting good sleep. A continuing source of frustration for me, and not good for my happy kidney. I've written before, if number 2 doesn't happen, then the body is pulling fluids from their to your body...dehydration.

Since coming out of hospital, at gfr 31, then going down to 24, I've been hell bent to get my numbers back up and total War by eating, drinking, resting, meditation, and anything else I can think of to raise the numbers. I'll find out on Monday how I'm doing cause I have an apt with my pcp, and Wednesday an apt with my nephrologist.

Since drinking water is a problem for me, I thought I'd do some poking around to find an answer to how to rehydrate without water.

No To Caffeine, tea, soda, or foods as they are all diuretics ..even lemons!!.
    Coffee according to the link ok, other stuff I've read, it's a no no...some of the things listed are no no's for our happy kidney.

https://dailyburn.com/life/health/he...without-water/

Well I did make a smoothie and here's what I made, in a 16 oz container all fruits and veggies below, and water just to 'cover' then blended. Yuk! it did not taste good, so I added a table spoon of organic honey, still didn't work for me...the strawberry were very sour and I didn't want to use sugar, so I used about a 1/4 of the smoothie mixture I made, recipe above in a post, and that made everything work...I drank some, then added ice cubes, and that made everything go down ok.
    1 cup strawberry
    1/4 cup of blue berry
    1 stalk, about 10" of celery
    a baby cuke about 4" or 1/2 cup

This link has hydrating veggies...personally I can't do veggie smoothie. I can't take eating raw spinach either, so I mix it with a salad, I do broccoli too in my salad with some oil and vinegar dressing...everything but the kitchen sick goes into a salad

https://chopra.com/articles/9-ways-t...drinking-water

Sipping away now, will return to a shaded part of my yard and enjoy the day...hope yours's is going well too!!

Take care, ml

Leave a comment:

• mlr0853
    replied
    Hi All!

I'm happy to write I'm more or less on a level ground today compared to yesterday! Dear Son is in rehab, has a private room, window facing woods. He has his beloved computer so he is as happy as a pig going through a hug veggie garbage pile of scraps!

Me, well I thought I'd share my new morning drink, I'll do my best to write down protein, and other important stuff...again this is my own stupid silly recipe, tasted ok to me, and hope the taste will do the same for you! Two fruits, yogurt for probiotics and protein, chia seed blend, fiber, sunny d, 100% Vt C.

First I use a Magic Bullet blender...https://www.walmart.com/ip/Magic-Bul...80536200a70906

In the 16 oz container I put in 1/2 cup blueberry, 1/2 cup applesauce, 4oz of Dannon yogurt(comes in 4pk I get it from the dollar store) 2 table spoons of organic milled flax and chia seed blend, about a 1/2 cup of Sunny D, and 1/2 cup of purified electrolyte ph 9.5 water...comes in a 50oz bottle again from dollar store.

I purchased a bag for a buck with 28 9oz plastic glasses to pour smoothie mixture into, making two at a time, then pop them all into the freezer. So now I'm drinking one, have one in ref for tomorrow and 6 frozen ones to pop into the fridge at night to drink the next day.

This is something I did after my cancer surgery, sadly, I've gone lax and I'm paying the price. The reason I added the Alkaline water with electrolytes is the heat factor, the clear color of my urine, and psychologically thinking my electrolytes are more balance makes me feel better...reduce my anxiety and stress levels...need all the help I can get in those two areas!

I guess what I'm trying to achieve is if drinking 'plain water' is as good for me, as drinking smoothie (18oz), 1/2 and 1/2 sunny d with water (20oz) plain water 20oz which brings me up to 58oz per day, at 112, that's half my body weight...then there are the veggies which add in more fluids.

Here is the break down~~~Please be sure to check out what Your Specific Diet Allows!

Yogurt:
    4oz protein, 60mg sodium mg, and 180 potassium mg....per my renal dietitian I'm able to have up to 1000mg of potassium per day...
    Apple Sauce:
    Protein 0, sodium 15mg, fiber 2g (a lot of sugar, I bought organic so none added 21g
    Flax/chia seeds mix: info for '2' table spoon,
    sodium 0mg, potassium 100mg, fiber 8g, protein 4g
    Sunny D: I used this because it has So Much Less sugar than orange juice, plus much less expensive and good nutritional values
    sodium 160mg, sugar 14g, protein 0, Vitamin C 100% Thiamin 15%

Then I have an 18 oz container, I put about 5 ice cubes in, and then fill the rest to top with the alka water.

As a side, I bought some crackers that have 3g of protein, fiber 1g, and iron 4% in a half cup serving...the sodium level is high at 310mg so I'll watch my sodium intake for the rest of the day. The dollar store also had 6pk of raisins, sodium 0mg, protein 1g Iron, 4%, and fiber 2g.

Hope you'll try and have a happy kidney and happy tummy too! So much easier for me to drink my fruits in the am!!!

Take Good Care, ml
    Last edited by mlr0853; 07-31-2019, 12:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mlr0853
    replied
    Hi All!!

Total wipe out today..pure exhaustion. Dear son is now in nursing home/rehab after nearly 6hrs of hospital stay/discharge...

Of late as I posted, I got leg cramps which is a sign of electrolyte imbalance so off to er for fluids. While there, I got all my blood info...every visit I get blood drawn or dr apt, I get my lab work to keep on top of my health.No one mentioned that my red blood cells (rbc) were low, hemoglobin and hematocrit...

I'm anemic!!! Was I told this? NO. So on the phone today with pcp, seeing her next week to see how my numbers are...this is a site that gives examples of dehydration, a couple I'd never heard of...another blood test is urine..'the color' mine is clear, I always thought clear meant 'hydrated' Nope! clear means that your kidney is not detoxing the body...so here's the link https://stayhealthy.fit/15-unusual-s...s-dehydration/

Hoping ya all are doing better than me tonight!!

Take good care, ml

Leave a comment:

• mlr0853
    replied
    Hi All!!

Update… I said when I got leg cramps that was my signal I needed fluids...well I was Unfortunately Right! My gfr was down to 24 and my creatinine was a to 2.0...not cool and a Huge decline from 31% gfr function and 1.60 5 weeks ago leaving the hospital. I'm anemia as well...guess I have my work to get healthy cut out for me.

Now the way I figured what happened is this: Number One Rule for a Happy Kidney is to Do Self Care First! Ya it's a hard way to travel for sure, given woman and Mom's have the instinctual 'give' before they give to themselves. Today I spent the day "just for me" trying to bring some sanity back to my life and home.

The next area I was not focused on was Hydration and My Kidney Diet....I know better, the medical issues of my son took my brain away, my energy away and my health away..so not cool. Well I'm going gung ho and no matter how tired I am, eat drink!

The next...Stress! I was very surprised to find out that low red blood cells, hemoglobin are effected by stress....so along with focus on diet, I listened to some medications today and took a Nap...never do that during the day.

After doing some more looking at my blood work I noticed that my albumin level is on the low side, so I looked up how to increase. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...6B65&FORM=VIRE

Beautiful Sunny Day!!...those poor people in CA and AZ temps up and over 100 degrees, so I'm not complaining...not one little bit!

Take good care, ml
    Last edited by mlr0853; 07-29-2019, 06:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mlr0853
    replied
    Hi All!!

Wow 7 days since I last posted!! Seems like forever to me...my head is just spinning with all that has taken place. As I mentioned above, my son's pneumonia, well now he is in hospital with VTE, 3 clots in legs and lung...I'm out of my mind...doesn't take much to get me to that place! He is doing a bit better, the fear factor as a Mom Is Huge!

Since I've been going and going, I've recently noticed I've felt light headed and last night I was experiencing leg cramps...guess what, the number 1 issue to keep our kidney's happy is: Hydration!!

Are you now, or have you ever experienced any of these symptoms...https://www.healthline.com/health/dizziness-and-fatigue or these symptoms https://healthfully.com/504608-hand-leg-cramping.html ?

A bit on the gross side, however another indication of dehydration...Even If You Are Getting Enough Fluids!
    https://www.colonicsinorangecounty.com/blog/2012/09/27/If-I-Drink-Water-all-day-how-could-I-be-Dehydrated.aspx

Well this is what I'm experiencing now, so I'm going to be heading out to the local medical center for fluids...ya just got to be aware that summer time, sweating, not getting enough water or electrolytes is a huge factor in kidney health! Right up there is what you eat, low protein, complex carbs and fruits and veggies. The link below is a full search of low protein food diet.
    https://www.bing.com/search?q=low+pr...&setlang=en-US

Take Good Care!! ml
    Last edited by mlr0853; 07-27-2019, 08:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

• mlr0853
    replied
    Hi All!!

Well never a dull moment...today marks the first day my dear son came down with pneumonia, in er on Monday with temp of 103....now Friday, I'm totally wiped out from lack of sleep and caring for him...3 weeks out of the hospital myself....Monday will be a month.

Lord Above, then the weather today heat wave in CT is unreal, I'm just sitting here and the sweat is just running off me. Remember Remember "Huge" Remember when you sweat, drink and drink...even some Gatorade to keep your electrolytes up and keep hydrated. It was 90 degrees today with humidity at 84% that is the killer. I went outside and just hosed myself off...didn't even have enough energy to go to the beach....showers just don't do the 'it' that the hose does

So I've no info really to post, just stopping by to blah blah blah and hoping you are all doing well, keeping hydrated and have Happy Kidneys!!!

Take Good Care, ml

Leave a comment:

• mlr0853
    replied
    Hi All!!!

Another beautiful sunny day at 79 degrees...yesterday we got a high of 89! I'll take that any day. I continue to think about those who live in Louisiana and the hurricane...California with the earthquakes, and Florida too. Just a few states where good wishes for healing could be forwarded to.

I found this site as something which I need to deal with...bone strength and love handles, belly fat. Both are very challenging to obtain and to loose as we get older...the silent symptoms of loss being in our 30's. Don't know about you guys, I had a Whole Lot of other stuff on my mind at that age and diet wasn't one of them, nor bone health!

https://thetommyexperience.net/2013/03/31/senior-health-how-to-get-rid-of-stomach-fat-and-love-handles/

Another area of our health that needs to be focused on is our immune system, the fighting white cells to return us back to health or any type of healing.

https://securessl.naturalhealthrepor...QaAvXlEALw_wcB

sorry if this is a repeat...shows that I didn't send.
    Not sure when my next post will be, dear son came down with pneumonia and me, well trying to take care of him and myself cause it's contagious...God knows I don't need to get sick again!! 9 days in hospital, 3 weeks out now and I sure as heck don't want to go back!!

Leave a comment:

• mlr0853
    replied
    Hi All!!

Hoping this note finds you all well and enjoying this July weather...post 4th. Me, well I'm just puttering along, still not much energy. When I spoke to my physical therapist she said sometimes up to 12 weeks to recover from a hospital stay....they are Not relaxing for sure!

Anywho, I thought I'd post some info about ticks and hopefully prevent happening to you what happened to me. The specific tick that I got bit by is called Lone Star Tick/ Ehrlichiosis.
    Now since I only have one kidney, I'm a bit concerned about the toxic level of deet which was recommended by the infectious control dr I saw in the hospital...he said spray it all over me...well, for me, I just can't spray that stuff directly on my skin...I use Cutter, 20% deet, and I sprayed it on my clothing on ankles mainly.

This link talks about 9 tick borne diseases and their symptoms.
    https://www.prevention.com/health/a20117220/tick-borne-diseases/

This link is a full bing search about how to prevent tick bites and how you can protect yourself in your yard and outdoors. Take with a grain of salt....especially the 'yard' stuff...those little buggers are tough!
    https://www.bing.com/search?q=how+to...&setlang=en-US

Natural methods to prevent tick bites...this one is from the Farmers Almanac...for my mind, the Farmers Almanac is the Mother Earth Bible
    https://www.farmersalmanac.com/7-nat...ies-work-27452

Hoping the above will help you to enjoy and feel safer in the great outdoors...me, well I'm a work in progress and hoping soon I'll feel more confident about working outside.

Take Good Care!!! ml

Leave a comment:

• mlr0853
    replied
    Hi All!!

Well I guess I can be called a 'bad penny'...I keep going away and coming back! Not sure where that saying came from?

Anywho, I got bit by a tick and ended up in the hospital for 9 glorious days...ha ha...with a high temp of 103.7 and grf at 17% for my single kidney...So Not Cool to say the least!!! Here is some info on ticks...at the moment I'm covered from head to toe and staying far away from tall grasses!! I so miss working in my gardens, they've gone to hell in a hand basket with weeds....oh well, No more bites for me!!
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/med...cid=spartanntp

I'm back on the mend now, two weeks out of hospital and moving around much better....Thanking God and lots and lots of drugs and IV fluids my kidney is back up to 30 gfr again and will be seeing my dr every three months now instead of 6 months to keep track of my continued Happy Kidney Function Level!

With the hot weather on the East Coast, I saw this article and thought I'd post it....this goes for Everything in any type of can.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/wel...cid=spartanntp

This is a Huge problem for me: sleep. Since I've been in the hospital I've been very tired, weak physically and sleeping is a problem. I continue taking my melatonin, sometimes it works....what I've been told is if I take the 3mg form in a tablet, to take it '5" hrs before I go to bed, that's how long it takes to dissolve. This link speaks to sleeping and how the body is effected.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/med...cid=spartanntp

I wish you all a Great Day...kind of cloudy and humid in CT...I like the cloudy cause my body is still recovering from the antibiotics reaction to sunlight....muggy, well I can do with out that

Take care, ml

Leave a comment:

• mlr0853
    replied
    Hi All!!

Hoping ya all had a wonderful Memorial Day!! Funny how holiday's are sort of bitter sweet...happy memories of people and events, yet for some of us, sadly missing those we love...as for me, well I've got Way Too Many Angels in Heaven.

I wanted to write today about an experience...scary as all get out...that has been unfolding for the last 1.5 weeks. I had my identity stolen, an account opened after checking my credit, and charged for 2009.48 dollars worth of Verizon phones from PA. Then the perps had the phones Fed Ex'd to my Home Address, had a License with my son's name on it and my street address. They tracked the shipment, and were waiting for the Fed Ex to deliver to my home...I was sick so I didn't answer the door...they followed the truck and showed the driver license to the driver and picked up the phones. I can't begin to tally up the hours on the phone to fed ex, the police and Verizon...sheer insanity...finally now, Verizon is in the process of removing the hard credit check, police sending down a report and once they get that then I won't be billed.

In the mean time, I've had Everything breeched closing accounts, freezing accounts, banks social security..and to top all off...Verizon shut off the phones, so the perps knew they'd been found out, they 'gave me a gift' of a 'Smile Face' virus on my computer. Personally I can't believe that Verizon would open an account, despite me having a Very High credit score "online" as a "pay as you go" order...essentially the perps got 2009.48 of merchandise by paying only the tax for the phones!!

This is a website that you can check your credit from all three Credit Reporting...Experian, Equifax, and Trans Union...you can do this Every Year for free...be sure to copy or print out, once you've opened you can't go back in again without paying.
    www.annualcreditreport.com

If you have any incorrect info, any Hard Inquiry, or soft inquiry Call The Company and get an explanation ...have it removed...especially if you want to get a loan from a bank or for a car. If there is any incorrect information have that corrected too...you can do this online or by writing. I've No Idea how I got to be the "chosen one", the police don't know either...so be diligent with any papers that have important info, credit card offers etc.

That's all for today...I'm still spinning and emotions are flying...

Take Good Care, ml

Leave a comment:

• mlr0853
    replied
    Happy Memorial Day!!

For all the men and women who have served and are currently serving in the military to keep our Country safe....Thank You!!
    For those who have lost loved ones to the wars...no words can express the feelings of your loss...I just want you to know I'm thinking of you today. My Mom, Dad, and Uncle were in WW2 in the Navy. My Stepfather was in the Royal Airforce...and I have a Dear Dear friend who has done 4 tours of duty...he is a doctor.

For today, not much in the way of posting...just a simple site where you can get lots of ideas for salads~~

https://www.thekitchn.com/potluck-sa...paign=05252019

Wishing you the Best and and Safe Memorial Day!!

Take Good Care, ml

Leave a comment:

• mlr0853
    replied
    Hi All!!

From a Bright Sunny 60 degree day in CT...YA!! I have a dear friend who lives in CO they are hovering in the 40's and below, still with snow coming down...I told her Move To CT!!! Me I was outside yesterday and it was Beautiful!! I can see the END of finishing my front yard garden. My little seedlings are starting to sprout...still not too late for you to plant or buy something...no yard...container garden!! Dug out my front porch area that will have 3 different types of lettuce and chives...I just need to fold in some fertilizing soil

Today I start on my side veggie garden, I've got some plants I need to transfer to the big gardens then I'll have a place to plant my 'store bought veggies'. In another area, that is now covered with brush, well under that I've got stepping stones so that will be where I'll be planting my seedlings once it's all cleared out. May 31 is coming up Fast, my little hands and feet are working as much as they can....still much to go!!!

Anywho, today I wanted to talk about 'cheating'...
    Yup I do it on occasion. Speaking for myself, I have several food items I Can Not Bring Into My House. Cookies, Ice cream, potato chips, Fritos sharp Cheddar cheese, of course cup cakes/cakes of any kind. Do I cheat, yes....in two days I can stuff down a whole bag of cookies and fritos, in one day I can scoff down a full bag of potato chips, Ice cream, cup cakes or cake slower, same with cheese ALL depending on my mood.
    Another catch is I'm So Sick And Tired Of CKD and I'm going to eat what I want...or I've been denying myself for so long I can eat a whole cake and I'll be ok I just won't have any for a while again.

I've many levels of energy, motivation from full forward jet speed or worm wiggly on the ground, motivation up running a marathon, or sit on my butt all day playing computer games or reading a book....really bad pull up the covers, in pj's eating pbj from a jar....so energized to depressed to bed and pull the covers over my head....emotional eating is a problem...oh the stories I tell myself!! Two other drinks...soda and beer. I like soda, beer not so much unless I'm having a toasted grinder, or pizza.

So I'm going to write what I do to curb these Outbursts of Stuffing My Face. My number One
    Weapon is Never Ever go to a grocery store hungry or without a list...if I'm hungry I'll do emotional buying, no list, I'll float from isle to isle picking up what I want...good bad or ugly, it goes into the cart. My diet is such that I have like 12 key items I'll eat in a week, so I look at the fridge, what needs replacing goes on the list, if my son is coming over, I'll put on the list what I want for him.

This is where I have my fun...my son only comes maybe 2 a month....so I'll buy a think crust white cheese pizza topped with veggies I Give Myself 3 Slices, at the same time I'll buy a bottle of sprite and Give My Self soda. I Never buy Ice cream or frozen yogurt, so I'll Give Myself a Treat at McDonalds or DQ of a vanilla cone. A Grinder, now I get meatless with cheese...a treat...and if sprite doesn't do it for me, I'll buy an O'Doul's non alcoholic beer.

In the grand scheme of life, I Hate Taking Pills...I'll fight tooth and nail to not take another one. Recently with my stomach, being ill so much that I became so dehydrates as to get the chills...I said to myself "what is worse, getting sick, becoming dehydrated, or taking a pill to prevent my stomach from going into spasms of indigestion, gerd that makes me sick....Yesterday morning after a night time of tossing and turning I got up and took an extra stomach pill. Why, a doctor friend of mine, and one of my dear friends who passed a way experience last year. The woman was his wife...he is a doctor...even He Could Not Make Her Take Medication and that reduced the ''quality'' of her life.

Now with CKD we are limited to they types of pain medication we can take...personally I don't Take Any pain medication. Recently though I was in such pain, I thought to myself do I agonize, is taking the one pill going to kill me or hurt my kidney so much, I thought of my friend who was in agonizing pain and what her husband said to me "I don't understand why people refuse medication and have less of a quality of life when if they do take a med, the "Quality Of Life" is so much better.
    I took a Motrin. I was in less pain. Actually I took two at night, that was enough of an edge so I could manage without.

So I guess what I'm really writing about today is that sometimes depriving can lead to binging, Denying yourself something that you really want and really like is going to make you want to eat/have even more. I figure I'm nearly 66, Blessed with a little glitch here and there healthy with one kidney, So I say, 'acknowledging' I want this and I'm going to have one. Not every day, or every week, maybe once/twice a month and that is good enough. I still will watch for all the other stuff, sodium potassium phosphrous, protein. When reading a package lable for pizza I'll look at the protein level for one serving, that will base my protein intake for the day...if it's 30, I know I only have 10-15 more grams for the day. Although it's better to spread out your protein evenly through out each meal.

So my long blah blah is to say, be kind to yourself, be kind to your kidney and you'll both be healthy and be happy!

Have a Wonderful Day!!

Take Good Care, ml

Leave a comment:

Working...
X