Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i found this recipe today to help digestion and make you 'go' more regularly. i have issues with my stomach, vomiting and gas. presently i use zantac, 150mg once a day. i've noticed with increased water my level of need for zantac has decreased, i still have vomit issue a couple of times a week...i use childrens pedi-lite to replenish electrolytes after being sick.
    • i used to go to hospital, but er takes up to 4-6hrs ugh! check this out for 'your diet'. this is a website with multiple recipes for same tea with info about how it works. https://www.google.com/search?q=ging...hrome&ie=UTF-8
    • 6 c water
    • 1 chunk fresh ginger {approximately 5-6" in length}
    • 3 cinnamon sticks
    • 1 tsp ground turmeric
    • ½ tsp cayenne pepper (i can't use due to stomach)
    • 6 fresh lemons
    take care, ml

instructions

report this ad

1. peel the ginger and dice into thin slices.
    2. in a large pot or saucepan over high heat on the stove combine the peeled and sliced ginger and water. bring to a boil. then turn to low heat and let simmer for approximately 10 minutes.
    3. after 10 minutes, add the cinnamon sticks, turmeric and cayenne and simmer on low heat for another 10 minutes; stirring occasionally.
    4. then remove from heat, let cool and strain.
    5. this makes about 6 cups of a concentrated version of the detox tea which you can store in a glass container in the fridge. you can drink this concentrate warm or cold and add ½ fresh lemon juice right before you enjoy.
    6. i personally like to add ¼ c of this mixture to ½ fresh lemon juice and 6 oz hot water.

Comment

I will try this, just have to buy some fresh ginger.
      I discovered coconut milk, no sugar no flavour. It is so delicious and Kidney friendly. You can drink it on its own or have
      it in cereal. Yum.

Comment

HI I'm Cheryl

Just found out today. I'm 65 GFR 31. Not only do I have a lot to learn about this, also need to figure the forum out (not computer savy) . I was so glad to find this needed to talk I'm scared.

Comment

Good morning Cheryl. Welcome to the kidney site. I am in stage 4 of this disease and have been for a number of years. To use the forum all you have to do is click on one of the forums on the top of the page. They are slightly different in their content, but if you click on one and it isn't the one you want, click on the other one. This forum is the one on the top line if you want to be able to post something, this is the
          one to use. I haven't posted on here for a long time, but I want to get back to it now. I wish you all kinds of luck. Chris

Comment

Good morning, Hope you all are feeling well today. Trying to be upbeat, it is a beautiful day here in British Columbia.

I made a big pot of Borscht soup today. Changed my recipe to be kidney friendly.

Boil beets till tender. place in pot and cover with water.
            In large skillet (prefer cast iron) saute 1 large onion, 2 cups chopped celery, 1 clove chopped garlic, 3 sliced carrots, (2 cups cubed turnip opptional)
            2 cups chopped spinach or gai lan, 1 TBLs Black pepper, 1 tsp red pepper flakes. Add 2 cups of water with 1 flavour cube and cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
            Transfer to large soup pot, pour water from beet pot over vegetables, let cool. Also cool beets enough to cut into cubes. Add beets to large soup pot, bring to boil and turn off heat. Remove lid from pot and let soup cool. Store in jars or containers in fridge. Season lightly with sea salt and add Tblspoon of greek yogurt or sour cream to each serving bowl.

For those that like Borscht, this is a kidney, heart, diabetic friendly.

Talk to you soon.

Vicky

Comment

Good Morning all! and Welcome Chris and Cheryl

Chris is right, you don't need to be too concerned until you go lower than 20 gfr. So you now are in stage 3b. I'm almost 65, will be in another 3 weeks,at stage 4, gfr at 29. I'm working really hard to get back to stage 3. My behavior with eating went way off the kidney diet, and I'm being brutal with myself in a nice way to just say ''no'' to what I cant eat. I believe with proper diet, exercise, good sleep habit, weight loss, and water I'll get myself back to level 3! Prayer is helping me too...I ask for strength to stay away from sugar especially I really like my sweets!

I agree with you, there is so much info on the internet this can be overwhelming if you get really obsessed with reading everything. Per my nephrologist and if you don't have one of those doctors, specifically for kidney, might be a good idea to look into doing that. Also if you are concerned about what to eat, ask to be referred, to a ''renal dietitian' and they based on your numbers they can give you a specific diet plan to follows. I don't eat any dairy, now drink almond milk, I use olive oil in place of butter except toast and that is 'real butter with olive oil in it...and an egg. For protein, no more red meat, based on the protein level, usually palm sized, I stay at 40oz per day.

I research on the internet a lot. so if you have questions, and I mean ANY questions that increase your worry, please do post. Slowly drink filtered water each day to half your body weight...if you don't do that now, go slow and space the water through the whole day, gulping can put overload on kidney. You also might want to find out how your liver is doing as it works hand in hand with the kidney.

Take Good Care All...ML

Last edited by mlr0853; 07-14-2018, 11:15 AM. Reason: more info, dang hit the wrong post :)

Comment

Good Morning All...

I'm so glad I found in my favorites this group again, couldn't find the forum yesterday...ugh

This is a natural way to help filter the body, I'll be asking my renal dietitian about this(how much to use) when I get my apt...hopefully within two weeks. http://www.naturalways.com/chlorella...properties.htm, http://www.naturalways.com/kidney-Enhancer.htm

Take good care all ml

Comment

Some help me got a letter in mail saying stage2 but all blood test coming normal no protein in urine

Comment

Am so wprry and confuse

Comment

Thank you Ml, I am going to look into chlorella and other natural ways of increasing chlorophyll in my diet. I used dandylion root tea and the lemon, honey, cinnimon tea to cleanse my liver. Had fatty liver for a number of years and do the Dandylion tea or lemon,honey,cinnimon tea about every 4 months for a few weeks. I no longer have fatty liver and my liver function tests are normal. Now I need to do my best for Kidney disease.

Talk to you soon. Vicky (PGCruiser)

Comment

Hi All, I'm stage 4 (gfr 18, creatinine 3.5) as of last year and trying to go vegetarian per Dr. Greger's book, How Not to Die. I good way to monitor how much protein, potassium, calories, carbs you eat is to go to calorieking.com and put in the food you eat, and that will give you that info. Will need a good scale that measures food in grams for best results, cost about $25. Time consuming but very interesting. Challenge with vegetarian food is that it tends to be high in K
                        UPDATE: Another excellent source to look up protein, K, calories, carbs, etc. is Bowes & Church's Food Values of Portions Commonly Used.
                        Last edited by TumaloTed; 07-16-2018, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Hi Ted, I became a vegetarian 8 years ago. Long before I found out I was stage 4, GFR 126, Creatinine 174 (Canada measurement). I just cook and eat vegetable the
                          way I enjoy them the most. I also eat a lot of my vegetables raw. I think if you can embrace cooking your own foods at home, it makes it way easier to enjoy being vegetarian. I only found out about my kidney disease 3 weeks ago. So now am adjusting my diet even further.. it is challenging. Cutting down on potatoes, tomatoes, bananas, dairy and searching out lower potassium, phosphorus, sodium & caffeine, alternatives.

I am finding this thread helpful to get me motivated.

Good luck with your search.

Vicky (PGCruiser)

Comment

Hi vicky my name is cindy and I take care of my sister (becky) she has stage 5 kidney disease she is also a diabetic and partially blind we've only been doing peritoneal dialysis for almost5 months but I know that watermelon retains a lot of fluid so I would check with your dr first just thought I'd share that with you

Comment

Hi my name is Tiffany and I am currently stage 4 CKD with creatine at 3.4. I was on PD dialysis for four months and it improved my kidney function from GFR 12 to GFR 22 (November 2017-February 2018). My catheter was removed as I was ordered to not use it as my kidney function was "good". I went to a dietician and it helped as I did meal planning to get used to all the foods as to what I can eat and not. We all have to know what our amounts are for protein, sodium, phosphorus, and sugars. Even watch your water intake! As your kidney function goes down you are unable to filter the water as well so ask your doctor how much water you can drink. If you are in the hot sun, make sure to drink more to stay hydrated! Also I learned not to add so much sauces to my things...my food look raw and clean...able to eat more and lessen sodium intake.

Comment

Originally posted by Fivegrandkids View Post
                                HI I'm Cheryl

Just found out today. I'm 65 GFR 31. Not only do I have a lot to learn about this, also need to figure the forum out (not computer savy) . I was so glad to find this needed to talk I'm scared.
                                Cheryl!

I know it could be very scary. However, I know if you are in stage 3 you have a chance of reversing the disease. Can I recommend some things...get a copy of your labs, see a nephrologist and a dietician. Bring the labs to your dietician who specializes in kidney disease that can help manage the diet part. Right now your kidneys are basically screaming saying I am working too hard, can you get some help. I am currently at GFR 22. There is no way back and I am accepting the fact of getting a transplant...try all things first. Please don't give up yet!

Comment

Working...
                                X