Just learned I have Stage 3 CKD - Welcome to the myDaVita Kidney Disease and Dialysis Forums

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just learned I have Stage 3 CKD

Page Title Module
Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just learned I have Stage 3 CKD

I am so grateful to have found this site because it is loaded with information and I look forward to learning from all of you. I have spent the past two days reading about this disease. My GFR is 35 and my Creatinine is 1.52. I am also pre-diabetic with Hgb Alc 6.3 glucose 104. LOVE food (especially unhealthy ones) so this feels like a real hurdle because of having the CDK & pre-diabetes. I am 5-10 pounds from my goal weight, and that is because I lost 29 pounds over the course of several months by using portion control. Fortunately I know how to cook low sodium because my husband is a heart transplant patient and I had to cook that way for him for over a year prior to transplant. He said he will join me in eating better. My first appointment with a nephrologist is August 10, so I'm sure I will learn more at that time. I am almost 68 years old...guess it is about time to start taking better care of myself!

Good for you! When I was diagnosed my creatinine was 5.3. I was told I’d be on dialysis within 3 months. Following the renal diet, eliminating high potassium and high phosphorus foods from my diet I stayed OFF dialysis for over 10 years! I am 83. It can be done!😃

Comment

Hi Mamicat and Mitchslala,

I am also new and don't have my first nephrologist appointment until August 16. I had open heart surgery 2.5 years ago and am doing really well with that and the diet that goes along with Healthy heart and Diabetes (30+ years). I am now incorporating the Kidney diet with watching my intake of Potassium, Sodium, Phosphorus. caffeine. I have stopped drinking coffee and added some cleansing teas, Nettle Leaf, Dandylion root, and Camomile. Hope this helps me improve my numbers .

Mitcheslala, I am so impressed that you staved off dialysis for 10 years. How long have you been on dialysis? I would love to hear any information you have to
      keep your kidney in the best shape possible considering kidney disease.

Hope to hear from you soon.
      Last edited by PGCruiser; 07-07-2018, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Hello mamicat seem like you are in pretty good control I can relate yep like unhealthy food too really trying to work on that sound like you have a jump on it and congrats losing the 29 pounds
        Mitchslala wow that great you have stat off dials for 10 years what is your gfr if your creatinine at 5.8

Comment

Hi Mamicat, Mitchslala, PGCruiser, and Pattypkd

Wow!!! Mamicat/michsala/PGCruiser!!! you have been through hell and back and are in the arena fighting!
          I'd like to learn as much from you as I can. Me I've gone down to 125 from 135, and now next goal is 120...i'm 5'1". gfr 29, creatinine 1.8 down from 2.2. I'm struggling with exercise motivation, also junk/sugar cravings...trying not to buy....ugh.
          I only have 1 kidney due to cancer, almost 65 female. Thanks ml
          Last edited by mlr0853; 07-08-2018, 04:13 PM.

Comment

It seems we can start a group. Its good to be back I am also almost 65. Yikes. I find being proactive the best medicine. Got the wind knocked out of me with this one, but onward I say. Newest find - i like red peppers almost as much as tomatoes

Wishing you all the best.
            PGCruiser
            Vicky

Comment

I like your idea of group....Mary Louise here/single...short 'ml" I too find the age thing crazy! Sometimes I do 'too much proactive' ... web searches. i'm really working hard with diet to get back to level three Having a really hard time thou with the exercise. Do you eat white bread vs wheat. white rice vs brown rice? I've stopped beef, mostly chicken/fish/turkey...I found this website last night...cool...www.rsnhope.org
              this one is on low salt http://www.bloodpressureuk.org/micro...ssalt/Shopping
              watch out for potassium level with salt alternatives
              Greatest Good, ml
              Last edited by mlr0853; 07-09-2018, 10:55 AM. Reason: added new info

Comment

Hi Mamicat, Mitchslala, PGCruiser, and Pattypkd, Mitch, & Mlr,

This is a group that has an open invitation. To help each other to successfully walk this road through the long stretches of hwy and the speed bumps, up hill and downhill. To post information to help each other along this journey. All are invited.

I made a vegetable dinner in my cast iron frying pan last night. An inch of water to the boil, a small amount of each cabbage, carrots, corn, califlower , green beans, turnip. A hot salad bar. Removed each vege on to the plate and added a very tiny amount of olive oil margarine to each on and some course pepper. it was yummy. I have been eating a handful of cherries or grapes here and there to satisfy the hunger and stave off some of the boredom that I am feeling with the changes in my diet. I have been vegetarian for 8 years, Diabetic and healthy heart diet. I know it can be done. Just a huge learning curve to get to the place where I am satisfied with my eating plan and not so darn hungry.

I am hoping to learn as much as I can from others as well as searching and testing ideas that I find on myself and I will post the successes and failure of my endevours.

Does anyone else know of any kidney friendly foods or cleansing drinks, like Nettle Tea (any loose tea with Nettle leaf in it), Dandylion root tea (sold at safeway) Camamile tea. All can brewed and drinken hot or stored in jar in fridge and just add ice. Acquired taste .

Talk to you soon,

Vicky

Comment

Multiple brands of Greek Yogurt chart of nutritional values, and probiotics - Journal of Renal Nutrition. I couldn't copy link..wouldn't let me, so just type "Greek yogurt" and both articles come up.

Comment

The brand of Greek yogurt I have been using is called Krema.. It is really thick and really good. If you put some fresh berries on it its just as good
                    as an icecream sunday. I will check out the yogurt articles for nut values etc.

I bought some candied salmon today, trying to replace cravings for chocolate bars. It is really good, but I will have to do a search and make sure it works for my diet. Hope all are well and figuring things out. Talk to you soon.

Vicky

Comment

i have to watch protein levels of what i eat, breakfast i eat an organic pear, about 4 tablespoons yogurt, couple of strawberries, blue berries and dried cranberry..like raisins. Found this site, good guide/info for us to use for questions about our health. https://lifeoptions.org/learn-about-...d-urine-tests/
                      I 'finally' got to talk to a person, not a machine today requesting a renal diatition, unfortunately my dr. is out of the office until the 17th, so i guess i'll have to wait, or just thought to call my primary dr...duh!
                      beautiful day here in ct...went to the beach and read a silly paperback..i'm learning to find my way to 'fun' and out of the house every day. Living alone is not 'lonely' for me, it's isolating...not cool.

till next time, hoping all are enjoying? ml

Comment

I don't eat meat, so helps with the protein levels. I have now cut out most dairy (all at the moment) Newest loss to my diet is tomatoes, legumes. Trying to cook without my
                        vegetable broth cubes. Just found some with 1/2 the sodium, but they don't have a taste i am fond of. So on the search for cubes that taste good. I look after my Mom 2 days a week. She has alzhiemers.. so a nice long drive out there today and had a nice day visiting with her. I am going out to coffee with my husband, but I have changed to camomile tea (no caffeine) and says it is good for the kidneys. Things are being adjusted as I go. Hope you had a wonderful day at the beach. Talk to you soon.

Vicky

Comment

Hello, I posted a question the other day, which I know the answer to now. But wanted to introduce myself. My name is Greta and have a GFR of 56 ( African American) and I am trying to find food to eat and just look through the posting to learn more. I will not see the nephologist until Aug 24th. It is inspiring to read your stories.

Comment

hi greta, and welcome. this is a divita site that might answer some of your questions about food. http://forums.davita.com/forum/diet-...iet-tips-q-a-s. if you type into google, gfr diet 56, you'll come up with lots of info...actually can be overwhelming doing food searches...been there done that i'm at 29 gfr. stage 4. if you think you could loose a few pounds do, try to walk or some type of arobic to reduce blood pressure if your on the high side, if you take anti acid med, ''don't use prilosec'', use zantac, and don't take any advil, motrin, and that type of pain med, tylenol only if 'really' needed. drink 1/2 your body weight in water daily...start slow and build up. hope to see you back again and post. i've been advised to stay away from herbal stuff...i'll be seeing a renal dietitian soon and hope to have more info to post. always check with pc dr. until you see your nephrologist,...what i've written is what i've been told by my nephrologist, and could very well be different for you....since i'm at a different stage.

take good care, ml

Comment

Good Morning Greta and all. Beautiful sunny day here in western Canada. I made a caffeine free tea which includes nettle leafs. Recommended for kidneys. Drink a hot cup each day. But needed something cold to drink on these hot days. Just put it in a jar in the fridge and voila.. add ice. Refreshing. I am still learning, so constantly looking things up to see if they are OK for the kidneys. We all seem to be new at this on this thread. But it is great to research together. I make lots of foods with vegetables. Start off with a cast iron pan, actually adds iron to your food. Tblspoon olive oil, Onions, celery, garlic, red pepper, gai lan, and any other vegetable I am feeling at that moment. Can add some noodles a little water to steam. Season with pepper flakes or black pepper. Could add small piece of low sodium flavor cube. Make sure no pottasium.

Breakfast this morning was water melon. I better check to see if this is OK. Have a great day.

Vicky

Comment

Working...
                              X