X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HI new here

Hi, I've explored the site a few times for recipes and decided to join the forum.

I was born with urethral reflux disease. By the time I was 13 I had grown out of it, but my doctor had told my mom that what damage was done, was done and that it shouldn't get worse. Growing up, I knew someday I may need dialysis and a transplant, but I figured I would be closer to like 50 or 60 and not 28.

Last year October 11th, I went into the hospital because of a gout attack, it was so bad I couldn't walk we had to call an ambulance to get me. Come to find out on top of the gout attack, I also had pneumonia plus a major UTI. (though I felt perfectly fine aside from the pain the gout was causing) I also found out then I was in end stage renal failure.

After about 2 weeks in the hospital, I was told if I didn't start dialysis, I would be lucky if I lived 2 weeks. Admittedly, I was terrified of doing dialysis. I had been through so much growing up from multiple hospital visits/stays and always being sick with something, I didn't want to do it. I was tired of fighting, and tired of all the medical stuff. I was refusing it at first. But I did change my mind (Well I guess that's obvious since I'm still here lol)

I currently have a permacath in my chest, and in the process of getting on the transplant list. I just have to lose a little more weight to get things finalized and start the classes for the transplant.

I've been to 2 different centers. The first was just ridiculous, seemed like way to many patients and not enough staff. Their sitting area was around a corner wall, so if someone needed something it took forever to get their attention. They didn't care about the patients needs/wants etc.. They even went as far as telling my husband he had no business in anything regarding my health/medical issues and tried to tell him I said the same thing when in fact I didn't. Needless to say, I was only there a week.

The facility I'm at now is great. My nurse and the techs are wonderful. They love that my husband is so attentive and involved in my health stuff, they even allow him to come back and sit with me the 4 hrs. We all joke around, have fun etc.. They care about the patients and are very watchful of things. Unless something changes, it'll be the center I stay at

Well, I guess that's enough for now. I'll be snooping around here and there
Working...
X