New Member - Care Taker - Welcome to the myDaVita Kidney Disease and Dialysis Forums

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Member - Care Taker

Page Title Module
Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member - Care Taker

My husband had a kidney transplant 33 years ago and it has been very successful up until now. The realization that dialysis is now part of our game plan has come to a shock to both of us. Getting adjusted and mentally preparing that we were very fortunate to have 33 years is still difficult. Anyone else been through the same experience as us? My husband was never on dialysis prior to his transplant so it truly is a new experience.

Hi jacran1, welcome to myDaVita! That's wonderful that your husband's transplant lasted 33 years but understand that you're both going through an overwhelming time right now. You and your husband could attend a no-cost Kidney Smart class to learn more about dialysis and a kidney-friendly diet: http://bit.ly/2iBwy1d. You could also speak with a local social worker to discuss lifestyle changes and gain resources to help with this transition.

Wishing you and your family all the best! Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions in the future regarding myDaVita.

Comment

I haven't such experience, but I really wish to help

Comment

I am the wife and care taker of my husband who had unexpected acute kidney failure three weeks ago.
        The doctors are not sure if dialysis is a permanent condition or if he will recover kidney function after a few months on dialysis.
        He and I are adjusting to the dramatic changes but it is a real struggle to get him to eat.
        I’ve tried many of the recipes on the DaVita site and he liked some of them but mostly he just refuses to eat.
        Any advice would be appreciated.

Comment

If there are some that he likes I think I would make them most often and try to introduce new ones that have similar ingredients slowly.

Comment

At first, the goal is to prepare something that tastes good to him that he will eat. His appetite should improve, though it may be slow. I found that new recipes from DaVita's website were tastier than my old favorites made without salt. Good luck!

Comment

Chapman, ask your nephrologists if your husband is allowed to have Suplena. It is a drink like ensure only it's for renal patients. It's kind of pricey but it might due to get him back on track. He needs his nutrition to stay health. Call his Dr and let him know how your husband is struggling to eat. Don't wait till the next visit, give the Dr a call. God Bless.

Comment

New to website, Just wanted to introduce my self. My name is Cynthia and I am a 51 year old black female. I currently have 4 stage almost 5 stage renal failure. Very glad to find davita it helps a lot with everything.

Comment

Hi. My name is Dawn the food changes are difficult. Binders can mostly take care of phosphorous foods if u want to have something. I eat spaghetti with red sauce I just take the binder with. I have cur cheese out unless I fell like pizza which I take a binder. A little dairy won't hurt you. I have. Learned to cook with a lot of lemon. I use it on my vegetables. I make lemon garlic chicken. Lemon garlic shrimp. I'm sorry you are having a hard time. Hopefully this is helpful. Only thing I stay away from completely is bananas, orange juice and soda. You can have some nuts and chocolate just need the binder. Just make sure to watch you're labs and see where the phosphorous and potassium are. Reach out if u have any question's

Comment

Cynthia, knowledge is your best friend, read, ask questions, do research, read the post by the caregivers also. Get that knowledge so you are better equipped to make the choices that better suit your life. Fran

Comment

Working...
                    X