X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doing PD on a long flight

Has anyone taken a flight long enough that you've had to do PD while in the air? For an 8-10 hour flight, for example, wouldn't one need to dialyze during that period?

Would you really trust the cleanliness of an airplane cabin?

Comment

I should, perhaps, have added that I am not on dialysis yet. I'm, currently, at 15% and waiting to get my PD catheter. So my question really is whether or not you do HAVE to (I have no idea on what actual terms to use to say 'drain and replenish' your dialysate) every 4-6 hours or in a case, such as a very long flight, for example, can you wait longer?

Comment

Depending on what your all over health is, I suspect you could skip an exchange or two. If I were thinking about doing that I would seek the advice of my doctor. I don't know that I would attempt doing an exchange on an airplane because of all the germs that are floating around in the air. You normally wear a mask to cover your nose and mouth during part of the exchange procedure, you can't put masks on everyone in the plane. I was told to shut down my furnace during the exchange because of air borne germs, you can't do that in an airplane.

Comment

Originally posted by leewebber View Post
          Depending on what your all over health is, I suspect you could skip an exchange or two. If I were thinking about doing that I would seek the advice of my doctor. I don't know that I would attempt doing an exchange on an airplane because of all the germs that are floating around in the air. You normally wear a mask to cover your nose and mouth during part of the exchange procedure, you can't put masks on everyone in the plane. I was told to shut down my furnace during the exchange because of air borne germs, you can't do that in an airplane.
          I don't do dialysis yet but do you need to turn off the furnace just when you hook up to your machine or during your whole treatment?

Comment

Not once was I told to turn off my furnace during hook up. You need a clean environment, even with your furnace off you will still have air flow and current so to me that makes no sense

Comment

I as not told to cut my furnace off to connect at night to the machine but when I did it every four hours I had to cut the furnace off as I did my treatments

Comment

As a PD nurse- My best advice would be to discuss your travel plans with your healthcare team. They can assist you with figuring out the safest way for you. There are many options available to make sure that you get adequate treatment time in a clean, safe environment. Your physicians and nurse will be happy to help you plan your dialysis schedule during your vacation. Also remember to plan you trip in advance if at all possible so that you can arrange for your supplies and to give your care team time to help you come up with a treatment schedule that will work with your travels.

Comment

Working...
                X