X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flying with PD Machine

I will be flying toi visit my daughter and grandchildren. I do PD. Has anyone experience with flying and taking the machine along? What should I expect at Security? Does the machine fit under the seat or in the above head storage? How did you manage the weight? (25 lb) I will have a letter from the Clinic Swker.

Re: Flying with PD Machine

We've flown several times with my cycler. It's a pain in the neck, but with planning, it's worth it. You wlll be stopped at security and they will probably take it out of the case and scan it with a wand to look for explosives. If you go though a body scan, you'll probably be taken into a private room to be searched because your catheter will show up on the body scan and they'll check to make sure it's not an explosive device. I've had no problems fitting my cycler (with case) in the overhead compartments. Happy traveling!
    Diagnosed with PKD in 1992
    On transplant list since Dec. 2009
    Peritoneal dialysis since March 2010

Comment

Re: Flying with PD Machine

We flew with my husband's PD machine from California to Florida, Hawaii, Las Vegas. It wasn't too bad, heavy and always gets opened up and inspected at security but other than that no biggie. I don't even think we brought the letter one of the times and it wasn't a big deal but I would try to remember it.

Comment

I'm in Canada, and I've flown within this country several times with the warmer filled with a couple bags. It all depends on the security people...some of them have seen it all before, so have a quick look at my hospital note and push it (and me) through. Other's scratch their heads, pull me aside and do a thorough search/call a superior to discuss what to do. In the end, though, I've always gotten through. Sometimes I'm temped to put all the dialysate in my cheked-in baggge to avoid it all, but I know it's safer to take the stuff with you, in the event the baggage gets lost. (not that that would EVER happen on an airline)

Comment

Originally posted by dd4241 View Post
          I will be flying toi visit my daughter and grandchildren. I do PD. Has anyone experience with flying and taking the machine along? What should I expect at Security? Does the machine fit under the seat or in the above head storage? How did you manage the weight? (25 lb) I will have a letter from the Clinic Swker.
          dd4241,

As long as you plan correctly, things should go smoothly. Call the airlines disabilities coordinator and have them mote your account that you will be traveling with life saving dialysis equipment. They will search perhaps even put through x-ray. This is normal. I personally would check it at the gate instead of checking it when you first arrive and letting them put it on the belt system to get to the plane. There is more chance the cycler will be damaged this way. Treat it like a stroller or wheel chair and check it at the gate. It will be the first item on as well as first item off the plane and will meet you after you get off the plane.
          Keep all your medical supplies in once bag/suitcase and have a list of everything. Make sure you put your name/address/number of where you will be traveling to including hotel or where you will be staying as well as if you have a cell phone in case of emergency. Letter from the doc also helps. Lastly, I would take a copy of Title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations (14 CFR), part 382 which are the rules/polices stating you can travel with such equipment. You can find a copy of it here... Title 14 CFR part 382 Nondiscrimination Code
          Just click on link and click download. If it doesnt come up, just do a search for the name above. Hope this helps.
          NxStage - Since April - 06
          Facebook: Dialysis Discussion Uncensored

Comment

I would never check my PD machine again. It was broken once and I did not discover this until I got ready to use it in Las Vegas. Nope, I never let it out of my sight. that's my life!

Comment

I flew from LA to N H last year and kept my machine with me as carry on . I had a letter from Baxter indicating it complied with FDA regulations and a Doctor letter indicating the necessity of my treatments. I had no issues at all. I was screened and the machine was opened and wiped. the only inconvenience was the weight of getting the machine in the overhead. I also asked for pre boarding to have the time to get the machine into the overhead. Southwest was wonderful and very helpful.

Comment

HI pparfitt65, thank you for sharing! It's great to hear that you've been able to successfully travel!

Comment

Thanks for sharing that you are still traveling. I have been doing PD Since the beginning of April and the one thing that I was concerned with was the fact that I would have to give up traveling. I am so relieved to read and hear that I can still travel with my Machine. I only have to plan accordingly. thank you so much.

Comment

I have traveled extensively with my P.D. Machine without a single problem. I never check it and take it on the plane with me .By law the airlines must allow this. Your P.D. center will provide you with a case made especially for the machine and a medical seal to place on it. I have never in about a dozen or more flights had security open it (although I suppose no biggie if they do) I have never been subjected to any special search's either since I provide them with a letter from my doctor before going through security. Baxter will send your supplies anywhere so no need to carry solution but I made one trip that required me to travel overnight so I checked bags of solution along with my machine to use before getting to my destination. That too presented no security problem since they did not open the box. It is a bit of a pain but don't let it stop you from traveling.

Comment

Working...
                    X