X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Immunosuppression & Vaccines

Hi, I'm waiting for a kidney transplant and have had something on my mind for a while. My husband's sister has a 5-year-old daughter and another one on the way and her and her husband are choosing not to vaccinate their kids. My husband and I had tried on numerous occasions to have a conversation with his sister about the risks unvaccinated children could potentially cause me post-transplant, but we've been shut out every time. We just learned that they are trying to file for an exemption from vaccines for her kid to go to school this year, so it seems like they are set on their decision.
    I'm at a loss as far as what to do. I've heard from my doctors and nurses from just stay away from people who are visibly sick (a runny nose, fever, etc) to absolutely no contact with unvaccinated children post-transplant. Can anyone tell me what your experience has been posted transplant and what your doctors have told you to do as far as close contacts and vaccination?
    My concern is the following: something like the measles might not show any symptoms for weeks, and knowing my niece isn't vaccinated I don't feel comfortable putting myself in a risky situation if she's sick with something like that.

Post transplant four months ago. Just inform the family that your health is important and when you get a new kidney life changes are put in place. You will not be able to be in contact with the kids should they get sick. You can't forced them to do anything they chose not to do. You start with educating them about your health risk and precautions when you have the transplant. Then you lovingly share the things you need to be careful for but you can't force family if they lack compassion and understanding.

Comment

Working...
    X