Hoping to Donate, advice? - Welcome to the myDaVita Kidney Disease and Dialysis Forums

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hoping to Donate, advice?

Page Title Module
Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hoping to Donate, advice?

Hi all, a friend told me that his wife needs a kidney - PKD. I replied, "She can have one of mine." He thought I was kidding. I wasn't. In 2004 I was a member of the Five Points of Life cycling team that rode from Seattle to Florida promoting the need for donation of blood, blood products, organs/tissue, bone marrow, and umbilical chord blood. There were twelve of us and we spent 54 days cycling 4,000 miles. I decided back then that it would be a privilege to give the gift of life. Having said all that, I am scheduled to go through the testing and Stress Test Sept. 12-14 with a potential transplant date of the 28th. I would really appreciate it if anyone could share detailed info with me about what I can expect process, and recovery wise. Also, catheters freak me out. I know - goofy, but still. Are there catheters involved? Can't imagine there aren't. How uncomfortable or painful are they? Can do they do that stuff when the patient is knocked out? . Any info is appreciated.

Originally posted by 777Captain View Post
    Hi all, a friend told me that his wife needs a kidney - PKD. I replied, "She can have one of mine." He thought I was kidding. I wasn't. In 2004 I was a member of the Five Points of Life cycling team that rode from Seattle to Florida promoting the need for donation of blood, blood products, organs/tissue, bone marrow, and umbilical chord blood. There were twelve of us and we spent 54 days cycling 4,000 miles. I decided back then that it would be a privilege to give the gift of life. Having said all that, I am scheduled to go through the testing and Stress Test Sept. 12-14 with a potential transplant date of the 28th. I would really appreciate it if anyone could share detailed info with me about what I can expect process, and recovery wise. Also, catheters freak me out. I know - goofy, but still. Are there catheters involved? Can't imagine there aren't. How uncomfortable or painful are they? Can do they do that stuff when the patient is knocked out? . Any info is appreciated.
    That is wonderful of you to donate to a friend. I commend you. Sorry but I think it is kind of funny that you will donate and worry about the catheter. (I am not making fun really) My husband had a catheter when he had a heart procedure and they placed it when he was asleep. They took it out when he was awake. As of pain it was a second of ouch( not even a big ouch) and done when they took it out. He didn't act like he felt it otherwise. Don't let that worry you. You are doing a great thing. I hope all the testing goes well. I am sure she thinks you are her angel. Take Care

Comment

Originally posted by 1scaredycat View Post

That is wonderful of you to donate to a friend. I commend you. Sorry but I think it is kind of funny that you will donate and worry about the catheter. (I am not making fun really) My husband had a catheter when he had a heart procedure and they placed it when he was asleep. They took it out when he was awake. As of pain it was a second of ouch( not even a big ouch) and done when they took it out. He didn't act like he felt it otherwise. Don't let that worry you. You are doing a great thing. I hope all the testing goes well. I am sure she thinks you are her angel. Take Care
      I know, right!!! I worry about the little (no pun intended) things.

Comment

I am currently wrapping up my evaluation as a Paired Donor - my husband needs a kidney but we are not a match. The evaluation process is amazing! I certainly hope all donors have to go through what Yale does! I know more about my own health than I ever did before! By now you have gone through your testing as well! hopefully you had a good outcome!

Comment

You are a good friend. I have no advice or information for you, but I can tell you I just started dialysis and it is completely painless. I'm sure that is not the case when you donate, I'm Just hoping to give you some kind of peace of mind. I wish you a speedy recovery!

Comment

newbie:

Am thinking about donating a kidney to my father who is 89 yrs old & in good health (other than his stage 4 kidney disease). I'm a 57 yr divorced smoker w/no kids & some dental issues.

On the surface, a donation seems to make sense.

Am aware initially that blood types need to match and a thorough head to toe physical in addition to my psychological makeup needs to be assessed.

Anyone been were i,m at or know of someone who has been?

Thanks for any insight/opinions/sharing.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Comment

From the date of your post I assume that you have already donated. I would love to talk to other donors about their experience! Respond if you are still around!

Comment

Working...
              X