Hoping to Donate, advice? - Welcome to the myDaVita Kidney Disease and Dialysis Forums

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hoping to Donate, advice?

Page Title Module
Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hoping to Donate, advice?

Hi all, a friend told me that his wife needs a kidney - PKD. I replied, "She can have one of mine." He thought I was kidding. I wasn't. In 2004 I was a member of the Five Points of Life cycling team that rode from Seattle to Florida promoting the need for donation of blood, blood products, organs/tissue, bone marrow, and umbilical chord blood. There were twelve of us and we spent 54 days cycling 4,000 miles. I decided back then that it would be a privilege to give the gift of life. Having said all that, I am scheduled to go through the testing and Stress Test Sept. 12-14 with a potential transplant date of the 28th. I would really appreciate it if anyone could share detailed info with me about what I can expect process, and recovery wise. Also, catheters freak me out. I know - goofy, but still. Are there catheters involved? Can't imagine there aren't. How uncomfortable or painful are they? Can do they do that stuff when the patient is knocked out? . Any info is appreciated.

Originally posted by 777Captain View Post
    Hi all, a friend told me that his wife needs a kidney - PKD. I replied, "She can have one of mine." He thought I was kidding. I wasn't. In 2004 I was a member of the Five Points of Life cycling team that rode from Seattle to Florida promoting the need for donation of blood, blood products, organs/tissue, bone marrow, and umbilical chord blood. There were twelve of us and we spent 54 days cycling 4,000 miles. I decided back then that it would be a privilege to give the gift of life. Having said all that, I am scheduled to go through the testing and Stress Test Sept. 12-14 with a potential transplant date of the 28th. I would really appreciate it if anyone could share detailed info with me about what I can expect process, and recovery wise. Also, catheters freak me out. I know - goofy, but still. Are there catheters involved? Can't imagine there aren't. How uncomfortable or painful are they? Can do they do that stuff when the patient is knocked out? . Any info is appreciated.
    That is wonderful of you to donate to a friend. I commend you. Sorry but I think it is kind of funny that you will donate and worry about the catheter. (I am not making fun really) My husband had a catheter when he had a heart procedure and they placed it when he was asleep. They took it out when he was awake. As of pain it was a second of ouch( not even a big ouch) and done when they took it out. He didn't act like he felt it otherwise. Don't let that worry you. You are doing a great thing. I hope all the testing goes well. I am sure she thinks you are her angel. Take Care

Comment

Originally posted by 1scaredycat View Post

That is wonderful of you to donate to a friend. I commend you. Sorry but I think it is kind of funny that you will donate and worry about the catheter. (I am not making fun really) My husband had a catheter when he had a heart procedure and they placed it when he was asleep. They took it out when he was awake. As of pain it was a second of ouch( not even a big ouch) and done when they took it out. He didn't act like he felt it otherwise. Don't let that worry you. You are doing a great thing. I hope all the testing goes well. I am sure she thinks you are her angel. Take Care
      I know, right!!! I worry about the little (no pun intended) things.

Comment

I am currently wrapping up my evaluation as a Paired Donor - my husband needs a kidney but we are not a match. The evaluation process is amazing! I certainly hope all donors have to go through what Yale does! I know more about my own health than I ever did before! By now you have gone through your testing as well! hopefully you had a good outcome!

Comment

You are a good friend. I have no advice or information for you, but I can tell you I just started dialysis and it is completely painless. I'm sure that is not the case when you donate, I'm Just hoping to give you some kind of peace of mind. I wish you a speedy recovery!

Comment

Working...
          X