X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gfr decline

1 yr ago i started lisinopril for hbp my gfr was 55 before script. Now 1yr ltr on lisinopril my gfr is 39,. I can't seem to maintain my weight and am slightly underweight. I eat chic, fish, turkey, some beef, yogurt etc no processed foods and drink much water.. Doctor, says nothing about anything except ldl cholesterol which is 190. (i don't even eat eggs but 1 or 2 mth.)

I am concerned, wondering if I shld quit lisinopril, wondering why dr didn't even mention swift gfr decline. Could really use some feedback.

thanks

Lisinopril is probably not the cause. ACE inhibitors like lisinopril are often early-stage treatments for kidney problems, and generally are the safest blood pressure medications for problematic kidneys (it's only in later stages where your potassium levels may be raised by lisinopril that a nephrologist might change to a different class medication). Sounds to me like a case of natural progression of kidney disease, with reasonable variations in GFR numbers (can vary as much as +/- from 1 day to the next), and possibly a need to start limiting your protein intake, at least a bit.

Comment

Thank you for taking the time to respond. Your feedback is appreciated, .I guess it is what it is and I will try and hang in there.

thank you again

Comment

I was on lisinopril for a couple of years as wells as atenenol for heart and blood pressure problems. really controlled my blood pressure. my kidney doctor took them away because of potassium readings were going up . my gfr is 33 and now they are having a hard time controlling my blood pressure and keeping my kidney safe.like the other person said the lisinopril is probally not causing your gfr problem. hope your find a good resolution. be well and have a great day !!

Comment

thank you

thank you for taking the time to respond. It helps. I've actually tried testing my bp w/o the lesinopril, thusfar its been 123/83 not too bad. But I guess i will commence meds tomorrow. Perhaps this 5 day reprise will let my body leech some potassium as well. I'm sorry you are having problems regulating your bp. Hope you can get that straightened out.

I will pray for both (respondees) of your inproved health as I pray for my own.

God bless you both and thank you again.

It really does help to know there are others going through the same thing --- and doing it better than I.

Comment

My Nephrologist took me off lisinopril after an unexpected (and sudden) renal failure and a five day hospital stay. My GFR was 21 after several years of lisinopril, and it most recently rose to 39 after two months off the med. He thinks the lisinopril somehow contributed to my kidney failure. I am currently not taking any bp meds, so we'll see how that goes at my next Nephrologist visit and blood test. I suspect that there are lots of individual variables involved with meds and dosages. It's a crazy, cruel, beautiful world...

Comment

BTW, a couple of years ago, my nephrologist, concerned about my rising potassium levels, tried taking me off lisinopril, and he put me on a different BP medication. After 3 weeks, I had gained 10 lbs fluid (all in my lower legs), and my blood pressure went through the roof. The nephrologist put me back on lisinopril (but at half the previous medication), and had me take Cardura in the evenings. Seems to work well....

Comment

Lisinopril has been the BP med of my nephrologist's choice and has been a staple in controlling my BP since elevated BP diagnosis in 1993 and PKD diagnosis in 2002. While the dosing has increased from the original 5 mg to a current 40 mg, the drug had been supplemented with Cardura (doxosozin) until start of hemodialysis in 2012. My BP's on HHD typically run from 110's/70's down to 90's/70's depending on time of day and where I am at during my treatment week. Generally, the more consecutive treatments the lower the daily BP will get.

Comment

Just a comment on the potassium - for my LO (loved one as the caregiver I'm doing the writing) We of course eliminated the "high potassium" list but allowed potatoes once or twice a week in smaller amounts - and fresh home grown tomatoes in season in the same limited way. I asked the nephrologist for a renal vitamin and that added the final improvement to get barely into the high end readings. As I told her he'd much rather have a fresh tomato than the vitamins potassium content

Comment

Working...
                  X