X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prescriptions

Hello. I have stage 3 CKD and have not had to take any medications yet. I switched my nephrologist recently so I have someone closer to home. I hear he is very thorough. Which is great. He definitely ordered a lot of blood samples and urine. He prescribed me 100 Mg Allopurinol because my Uric acid was a little high, Calcitroil .25 Mcg Calcium was low and 2.5 Mg Lisinopril to help with protein in my kidneys. I was just wondering if anyone has experience with these prescriptions? I am just hesitant with long term prescriptions at age 30.
    Thank you in advance.

Hi there,

I was diagnosed with Kidney Disease when I was about 13-14 years old. I was told by one doctor that I had to be on dialysis within weeks or I would die. That was quite a scare, but I believe the Lord led me to another doctor that was confident he could control my condition with medication and diet.

Believe it or not, I didn't have to start dialysis until I was 21!!! I may have even been able to hold it off longer, but due to some unfortunate circumstances my dad was laid off from his job and with that I lost my insurance. I was without care from that point on and eventually my disease progressed and I had to eventually begin treatment.

I'm sorry I don't have any previous experience with these specific medications you mentioned, but I hope to put you at ease about taking medications long term. It's certainly not as bad as it seems and if it can keep you from having to go through dialysis, I would definitely give it a shot. Do your research and be your own advocate. If you're not comfortable with the way a medication makes you feel, communicate that with your doctor and work together to find a better solution for your unique situation.

I wish I could do more to help you. The early days were rough on me, but I thank God for the wonderful people He places along the way to help me though it all.

If there's anything I can do please feel free to reach out!

Comment

Thank you PMendez86 I appreciate that. I can't imagine being diagnosed at 13, that certainly would be difficult. This is my 3rd Neuphrologist and did more blood work and urine testing than the others. I am hoping I can stay with him for a long time. I started taking the medication last night because I have to do blood work next week to see how it is working. But I will definitely do some more research. I do not like taking any medications but if this is going to help me stay off of dialysis longer I will take them.

Comment

I have stage 4 kidney disease and am a type 2 diabetic. I am curious what meds you are taking for diabetes??

Comment

Originally posted by bjyargar View Post
          Hello. I have stage 3 CKD and have not had to take any medications yet. I switched my nephrologist recently so I have someone closer to home. I hear he is very thorough. Which is great. He definitely ordered a lot of blood samples and urine. He prescribed me 100 Mg Allopurinol because my Uric acid was a little high, Calcitroil .25 Mcg Calcium was low and 2.5 Mg Lisinopril to help with protein in my kidneys. I was just wondering if anyone has experience with these prescriptions? I am just hesitant with long term prescriptions at age 30.
          Thank you in advance.
          The only one I had problems with was the allopurinol, which really made me extremely run down and tired. I was also taking metoprolol for the blood pressure. I mentioned this to my nephrologist and he told me to stop the allopurinol. I didn't seem to have the fatigue since and my BP was just fine.

Comment

Working...
          X