Type 2 diabetics dont have options or choices?? - Welcome to the myDaVita Kidney Disease and Dialysis Forums

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Type 2 diabetics dont have options or choices??

Page Title Module
Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Type 2 diabetics dont have options or choices??

At my last apt with my nephrologist I was told I am now stage 4.He also told me that I am not a candidate for transplant because I am diabetic.He was not honest with me I feel as I later found out thru a local renal center at hosp that Type 2 diabetics must have a BMI (body mass index) of 30 or less to qualify for transplant or peritoneal dialysis.
    Something about not enough clearance to be effective.Is that the standard guideline or my neph`s opinion?? Has anyone else heard this?? I went into a depression afterwards and felt I had no options or choices in my treatment plan.I tried to discuss it with my neph and somehow offended him and yesterday I received a letter of discharge that he no longer wants to be my doctor and go find someone else! So now I have no kidney doctor or care.I am so bummed.The nearest Davita center is 30-40 mins drive away.How I wish they were closer.

"BMI (body mass index) of 30 or less to qualify for transplant or peritoneal dialysis." I believe this is true. But you can lose weight if you are overweight. Start exercising now. If you start dialysis on hemo dialysis you can switch to peritaneal dialysis when you lose the weight. So don't give up hope. I hope everything works out for you.

Comment

Hi. I'm type 2 as well. My nephrologist said transplant IS an option, but I would have to lose weight to get on the list.She said for now, peritoneal dialysis would not be a viable option because of my weight. I'm currently trying to lose weight and haven't started dialysis yet. I hope you can find a better doctor and that it all works out for you.

Comment

Working...
      X