Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Although I'm new to this group, with epilepsy, Tuberous Sclerosis, Emphysema and Islet Cell Cancer; I have been using Cyclobenzaprine with my bedtime medicines to remove Foot and Leg Cramps--74 yr. old male. Kay Kramer---PS: now noted as Stage 3 Kidney Disease too.

Comment

For leg cramps, I drink a couple of glasses of water first and I usually get relief in about 15 minutes - I have also tried a bit of fruit to bring up my potassium level. I only do that because I am always low.

I agree, check with doctor and ask about gout ....

Comment

Try 25 to 50 mg of Benadryl about 30 minutes before bed. Or if it makes you sleepy take one around dinner time and one at bedtime. I know that sounds wierd but give it a try. It's simple and cheap and generally doesn't harm your body in low doses. If you are uncomfortsble with this ask your MD about it.

Comment

Leslie. morphisrl@yahoo.com

Try 25 to 50 mg of Benadryl about 30 minutes before bed. Or if it makes you sleepy take one around dinner time and one at bedtime. I know that sounds wierd but give it a try. It's simple and cheap and generally doesn't harm your body in low doses. If you are uncomfortsble with this ask your MD about it.

Comment

I keep Gatorade on hand, it usually does the trick. Sometimes though nothing helps like last night when it goes on for hours and has moved up to my thighs now. Any suggestions?

Comment

Hello foghorn,

My nephrologist recommended a magnesium supplement. I am usually more prone when I've been more active, e.g. walking, mowing lawn, where I've either been using the muscles or sweating. Water often does the trick, although pickles can help with their high sodium content.

Comment

Well, you should check to see if all the minerals in Gatorade are a problem for you.

Comment

the only thing that helps my severe leg cramps is a med called calcitrol.25mg1xd.must check with dr. before using!

Comment

Calcitriol is the SAME as Vitamin D3 (which in reality is not a vitamin, but a hormone) and can be bought at any pharmacy, healfood store, without the high price.

Comment

why am i having leg cramps. somedayes cramp on my right side and my left hand. All this happen when on dialysis.what can i do to avoid this.Dry weight is played out.

Comment

I frequently have cramps of hand and leg during treatment. I just ask them to slow down treatment. Sometimes they will even turn it off for awhile. There are several things they can do to help. You need to be aware of triggers that happen before the leg cramps become severe. I happen to have a spasm feeling in my back several minutes before I start cramping. That is when I alert staff. Hope this helps.

Comment

Try chewing 2 Tums when you get the first signs of cramps. They can also be taken on a more regular basis to prevent cramps (ie: daily). Quinine is no good for people with kidney disease (in tablet or tonic water form). Stretching the muscle sometimes gives a bit of relief, but can also cause the cramp to spread and worsen (hit and miss at best). I get cramps in my feet up to my calves and also at times in my hands to elbow area. Not on dialysis yet, but high Stage 4 bordering Stage 5. I often wonder if the spider veins in my feet have any correlation to the cramps I get, as they seem more prominent during a cramping attack and my feet also get discoloured before and during the attack..

Comment

Like Marina, I notice the cramps when I've had something particularly salty and I haven't had enough water that day. When I get cramps I get up and walk around for a bit and they go away. Good luck. Chris

Comment

I get them so bad and my Doctor prescribed Ropinerole. I take it nightly and it helps quite a bit.

Comment

Working...
                              X