X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leg Cramps

I was just wondering if anyone has any advice on helping with leg cramps at night. On occasion I get cramps in my lower leg/ankles. Does anyone know why this might happen? And how do you deal with them? At times they will keep me awake.

Thank You

Re: Leg Cramps

try drinking tonic water as has quinne in and is supposed to help cramps
    Audrey
    Kidney problems starrted 1980's when I had Saracoidosis
    Recenty started HD at my local renal u Init in Telford.Still having a few problems with my 2nd line.

Comment

Originally posted by granny View Post
      try drinking tonic water as has quinne in and is supposed to help cramps
      **WARNING!***

Quinine in tonic water can cause kidney damage. Do NOT drink tonic water in any large amounts if you need to retain what kidney function you have left!

Comment

Originally posted by dac0214 View Post
        **WARNING!***

Quinine in tonic water can cause kidney damage. Do NOT drink tonic water in any large amounts if you need to retain what kidney function you have left!
        I was instructed by my kidney doc to drink quinine water which is tonic water with quinine in it. It was not easy to find, at first. I suffer from leg/feet/and stomach cramps most of the time. I tried the tonic water and I still cramp. My next search will be to find the pills for leg cramps. There has to be a better way to get rid of the extra fluid without cramping. Not much has changed since I started dialysis going from cramping to not cramping to cramping again. I still have some kidney function, and I would like to keep it... so I do not know if taking anything with quinine in it will be the solution. I am trying to work towards what hopefully will be the solution for me, and that will be to do PD @nite while I sleep.

Comment

I used to cramp so bad, I'd be in tears. I tried several things, but the best thing I've found is to keep a heating pad near my bed at night. When I start to cramp, I turn on the heating pad on low and rest my legs or ankles on the pad. Works like a charm for me.
          Diagnosed with PKD in 1992
          On transplant list since Dec. 2009
          Peritoneal dialysis since March 2010

Comment

I had really bad leg and side cramps. My doctor put me on coq10. He said if you take blood pressure meds it will deplete the coq10 in you body. It has seemed to help me a lot. I agree the tonic water is not good for you.

Comment

My foot doctor said to put your hands up against the wall with one leg back at a time far enough to stretch the muscles in your calfs, try to keep your foot as flat as you can when you stretch, hold it for a few seconds. It helped me. Do it easily every day. When I stopped they came back again. So I started again. The doctor said there is a connection between the foot all the way up to the leg calf.

Comment

Have you tried Quellitall? Many people swear by it, and they pay you if it doesn't work!

Comment

As they say on the website for this stuff: "ASK YOUR DOCTOR".

Comment

Cheapest and easiest is a teaspoon of plain table mustard at bedtime. It take's about a week for results. This helps me.

Comment

Hello,

It has been ages since I have looked at the nutritional contents of mustard but I am thinking it may be high in things most of us pre-dialysis (CKD) folks are advised to keep an eye on so be sure and look into that.
                      Originally posted by redneckbubba View Post
                      Cheapest and easiest is a teaspoon of plain table mustard at bedtime. It take's about a week for results. This helps me.
                      Create signature while not logged in, edited through forums.davita.com on 08/15/2012 @ 12:53!!!!!

Comment

Hi travel lady,
                        I have tried the leg cramp pills and sometimes they work but they do have quinine in them and I haven't asked my dr about them yet. I am on PD cycler at night while I sleep and it is wonderful. If I keep my fluid balanced and avoid getting dehydrated I don't seem to cramp so much.
                        Are you on PD now? I have been on for 2 months and I use 8000 a nite and it is usually 1 3000 yellow 1.5 and 1 5000 green 2.5 however if I feel like I am dehydrated i will use both in yellow and it doesen't take as much fluid off, but if my feet are swollen and my BP is alittle high I use a red 5000 this pulls off more fluid. I hope I have helped some. Please feel free to ask me whatever you want if I know I will be glad to share. I have been on Hemodialysis and manual pd as well.

God Bless
                        Donna

Comment

My husband has hand cramps. Does anyone have these? What are they from?

Comment

Originally posted by Suzy39 View Post
                            My husband has hand cramps. Does anyone have these? What are they from?
                            Muscle cramps can be due to mineral (potassium, sodium, calcium, magnesium, ect) inbalance, and/or dehydration.

I used to get them often. I started paying attention to when they happened, it was mostly when I hadn't had much to drink that day or in previous day.
                            I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Comment

I get cramps only if I am dehydrated.Drink lots of water throughout the day.

Comment

Working...
                              X