X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dialysis Within Six Months

I guess we all have different experiences depending on how kidney disease affects us. As for me, I found out not quite a year ago that I had kidney cancer which was rough because I only had one kidney. I had a partial nephrectomy in November with complications so my recovery took about 6 months. When I went back to work in May I was at gfr of 25, six weeks later it was 17. It has remained at that level since but I went for a gfr kidney scan and the doctor told me last week I will need dialysis within about 6 months. I have an appointment to see the doctor about my fistula surgery tomorrow.

I have read many of the entries in the forum here. I have radically changed my diet of fast food but whether I am very good or not so good, it has had little affect on my numbers. I thought I felt much better now than I have in a couple of years and all but my kidney related blood levels are good. So I was very surprised to learn this news from my doctor who up until now has been optimistic. I'm trying hard to be a realist and acknowledge that while my life will be greatly altered, life will go on. I will try to learn my options to juggle work and dialysis for a few years until my planned retirement. I didn't want to work when I was out on disability but now that I am back, I am not ready to give it up.

I am interested to know how others have coped in a similar situation, knowing that no two of us are exactly alike. I don't believe there is a fix (also the opinion of my doctor). I am hoping for personal experiences more than information and advice since I have a good grasp on the types of dialysis and center options. I am always better able to accept adversity when I know what to expect. I am a person who would rather hear this will hurt a lot from a doctor and here are the possible complications than this might hurt a little.

Originally posted by Piesmom View Post
    I guess we all have different experiences depending on how kidney disease affects us. As for me, I found out not quite a year ago that I had kidney cancer which was rough because I only had one kidney. I had a partial nephrectomy in November with complications so my recovery took about 6 months. When I went back to work in May I was at gfr of 25, six weeks later it was 17. It has remained at that level since but I went for a gfr kidney scan and the doctor told me last week I will need dialysis within about 6 months. I have an appointment to see the doctor about my fistula surgery tomorrow.

I have read many of the entries in the forum here. I have radically changed my diet of fast food but whether I am very good or not so good, it has had little affect on my numbers. I thought I felt much better now than I have in a couple of years and all but my kidney related blood levels are good. So I was very surprised to learn this news from my doctor who up until now has been optimistic. I'm trying hard to be a realist and acknowledge that while my life will be greatly altered, life will go on. I will try to learn my options to juggle work and dialysis for a few years until my planned retirement. I didn't want to work when I was out on disability but now that I am back, I am not ready to give it up.

I am interested to know how others have coped in a similar situation, knowing that no two of us are exactly alike. I don't believe there is a fix (also the opinion of my doctor). I am hoping for personal experiences more than information and advice since I have a good grasp on the types of dialysis and center options. I am always better able to accept adversity when I know what to expect. I am a person who would rather hear this will hurt a lot from a doctor and here are the possible complications than this might hurt a little.

It's a battle!! BUT we can win it.

I've been at Stage 5 with a GFR of 15% for over 5 years. After it fell from 45%. I wish I caught it sooner but at the point where I did, my function couldn't get better. You have 17% which is not far away and you have the will for the fight hence the change in diet!

WAY TO GO!!!! massive high-fives...seriously....these things must be celebrated.

I actually work with other kidney patients, and I help them find the best diet for their bodies that reduces the toll on the kidneys and helps them feel better, so they can be fully present in their lives, care for their family, and finally live to their fullest potential without being limited. If you're interested in learning more, please visit my page, https://www.experiencepaleo.com/holistic-health-coach/ You can do anythiing you set your mind to, you just need the right system, the right support, and the right accountability.

Comment

Working...
    X