Soon to start Dialysis and I am scared. Please help - Welcome to the myDaVita Kidney Disease and Dialysis Forums

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soon to start Dialysis and I am scared. Please help

Page Title Module
Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soon to start Dialysis and I am scared. Please help

Im writing this on my husband's account, his GFR has gone down to 13 and creatine to 5.1 and I know Dialysis is near. His fistula surgery was just last week Tuesday and he has been home ever since, he won't consider going on disability he says he will die if he stops working. He says he feels fine and that I shouldn't stress over it but im scare. What if he needs dialysis before the fistula matures? what if we can't find a donor(he should be placed on the list soon just finishing a few things to be put on the list) Im just scared of the unknown I guess. All I do is cry all day and worry

Hi edgar223 - welcome to myDaVita! Thank you for reaching out here and sharing a bit about your connection to kidney disease. There are many other care partners of loved ones on dialysis in these forums, so I'm sure you'll be able to connect with people going through the same thing to find support, advice & inspiration.

I also wanted to share some tools that I think you may find helpful. First, many dialysis patients are able to continue working! DaVita.com has some information on working while on dialysis: https://www.davita.com/treatment-opt...le-on-dialysis. You and your husband can also speak with his local care team and social worker to discuss the benefits of working on dialysis.

You and your husband could also attend a no-cost Kidney Smart class in your neighborhood: http://bit.ly/2axNzHn. Kidney Smart classes are led by kidney disease education experts and are a good opportunity to learn more about CKD, the treatment options, kidney diet and to get your questions answered.

I hope this helps a bit! Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Have a nice day!

Comment

If he needs to start sooner, they will fit him with a catheter for the short-term. There is a guy at my clinic who is doing just this, and working, too.

Comment

Hello, I am in stage 5 and I am preparing to have both of my kidneys removed in order to have a transplant. I am not on dialysis yet but my Dr. is preparing to place a chest port during the removal of my kidneys in order to access dialysis. Of course, like a normal human being, I am scared to death. Scared of not knowing what lies ahead for me. My kidneys are having to be removed because of the size and the pain they cause. I was diagnosed with polycystic kidney disease when I was 15 years old and up to recently really haven't experienced a whole lot of issues other than occasional kidney infections and of course fatique. Could someone that has had both kidneys removed give me some insight on what to expect? Thanks.

Comment

Working...
        X