Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can GFR / Creatinine Scores Fluctuate?

My GFR went from 24 to 20 and Creatinine from 2.78 to 3.24. I've been on 'kidney friendly diet' for a couple months now, and my BP has gone down from the 150's / 90 to as low a 108 / 64. How can I tell if this is just a fluctuation, as opposed to things worsening?

Well I believe you said you are on Lisinopril for your blood pressure in another post. So it must be working. Diet also helps bring your blood pressure down. Typically your blood pressure goes up not down with kidney disease so that is a good thing. THe GFR and Creatinine on the other hand are getting worse. Just keep steady with your diet and learn all you can. Has your doctor mentioned anything about dialysis? You might want to learn all you can about that also. Not to scare you just so you can be prepared and not shell shocked in case things go that way. It feels much better to be in control when you know what is going on.

Comment

absolutely, they can and usually WILL FLUCTUATE. A example is my GFR was 29 I changed my diet and a few months later my GFR was 30. I started drinking LOT of water along with a very STRICT kidney diet and 6 months later my GFR was 40 . I do have CKD.I recently had a ultrasound of my kidneys and the test considered them "diminutive" and shrunken and still shrinking, however I was still able to improve my GFR by 10% within a years time by eating a strict kidney diet and drinking 6 or more bottles of water a day. also I take NO medicine that is metabolized in the kidneys.(it WILL state on the back of over the counter medicine) and look online for RX medicine to see if it's metabolized in the kidneys or metabolized in the liver. I even stopped my water pill (although I deal will persistent swelling)because it's metabolized through the kidneys and also strips them. I can't say I enjoy this but I cut out ALL SALT INTAKE . I limit myself to one SMALL glass of soda at night for dinner and ONE cup of coffee in the morning. Those are my most indulgence. I stay AWAY from red meat and eat ONLY lean protine such as turkey meat as a substitute for hamburger, and fish, baked not fried. I choose kidney friendly vegetables. I use non salted butter. I no longer eat tomatoes (which I love) or pickles (which I also love) you would be very suprised at which foods, including vegetables can affect your kidneys! I went online and did a sever all searches for kidney friendly foods and followed to a TEE. I truely believe this could have EASILY went the other way if I DIDN'T MAKE CHANGES. I could have easily dropped my GFR ten points instead of raising it. I would have been doing dialysis by now. So yes, to some extent we have control. we can't stop the disease or stop the kidney shrinkage. but with Strict dedication, we can lengthen the time before we need dialysis and transplant (or do our best to try) my GFR does have fluctuations up and down. so I do know it's possible. a lot depends on your disease progression, and what you put into your body. Remember EVERYTHING gets metabolized so EVERYTHING COUNTS that goes in your body. hope this helps. best wishes.

Comment

Great advice! Thanks! I will try to do better...

Comment

I have had kidney disease for about 12vyears. My creatinine seemed to fluctuate between 2.0 and 24. Once In a blue moon it would be slightly higher. My gfr always seemed to hover at 25 to 30 percent. But eventually things took a took a turn for the worse. I would say the past 4 or so lab works showed things getting worse. My gfr now is 18 and creatinine is 351. Both the worst numbers ever. Not on dialysis yet, but was referred to transplant team since gfr fell below 20.
          My dr and I discussed how things were stable for a long time but then took a turn for the worse. Seems that is normal. The disease finally progressed.
          So here I now wait for the initial evaluation to hopefully go on the transplant list.
          Seems that to some degree we can control the progression of the cdisease, but we need to remember that we may be able to slow things down to a point, eventually it will get eorse. Just some things are no yet in our control.
          Fluctuations will occur but if you see a progression over several tests, then progression has set in. Keep track of your numbers, blood work. Good luck

Comment

I was diagnosed with CKD Stage 3 about 6 years ago. The dr. was puzzled as to why because my pressure apparently was never high during my physicals. So one year she was concerned because my creatinine had risen. She sent me to a nephrologist and they couldn't see any apparent reason also except for dehydration. Well after a year I was diagnosed in stage 3 which still puzzles me because why wasn't this caught earlier. Anyway I fluctuate between 37-47 GFR which is fine as long as I do not go beyond 37. It went lower because I am susceptible to UTI's which obviously also lowers it with taking antibiotics. I am 59 and would like to live to see my grandchildren become adults. Have changed my eating habits (still working on desserts), and exercising at least 4-5 days weekly. My diet consists of fish and chicken twice a week, and the rest veggies, beans, oatmeal, eggs, English muffins, and fruit. There is room for improvement but I will get there. My prayers are with everyone and their families who have to deal with this disease. I have not told my children as of yet hoping that I can remain in this stage for years to come. I still work and have not exhibited any signs of slowing down YET....

Comment

I am trying a new seaweed formula found in Tonga. It is a liquid form called Fucoidan. It has been shown to improve kidney disease. I take it twice a day and will see what my labs are in May.

Comment

Hello jimscott,

The preceding replies should provide more than answer to your question of fluctuation in GFR/Creatinine scores. Here's a pointed summary explanation. These numbers will fluctuate in the short term in response to the body's level of hydration, e.g. the more hydrated you are, the more water in your blood, the lower the concentration of toxins and thus lower creatinine and higher GFR. These numbers will also change over the long term in response to the loss of kidney function. Dependent on the medical cause for that loss of function, e.g. disease, the decline in these numbers may be gradual or rapid.

It is imperative that a trend line be established over the long term in an attempt to predict the point which transplantation or dialysis will be needed. Along with my nephrologist, I watched my kidney function decline over a period of roughly 10 years before I made plans to start HHD training and commence hemodialysis, avoiding the trauma of sudden kidney failure, ER visit, hospital dialysis and the inability to work.

Comment

I am very happy with my last blood results I have brought my GFR from 31 back up to 50, and lowered my Creatinine, Potassium & Phosphorus, and Sodium scores. I have stuck with the diet faithfully. I calculate the numbers of everything I put in a recipe and everything I eat, whether it simple or a more complicated meal. A lot of the recipes I have cut in half and I still recalculate all the numbers broken down to the smaller version just to be sure. My husband doesn't eat the same as I because of the diet his doctor has him on for his diabetes. Sounds crazy but that's how his is working for him, and this is working for me. Yes, I cook 2 different meals at night, and the rest of the time it's simple and not complicated. I don't follow the daily plan for the day,,,,I'd really go nuts. Besides, that's too much for me to eat. Doing what I have been doing this way, occupies enough of my time. I don't need to spend every single moment in the kitchen,,,,that would just raise the blood pressure, and mine has been remaining pretty stable and good. We are both retired, but there is still lots to do, even in our 70's. All I can say stick with it! I know it works that's for sure!

Comment

When people post about being on a strict kidney diet, is that something worked out for you or something that I can find online?

Comment

Originally posted by maryc0428 View Post
                      When people post about being on a strict kidney diet, is that something worked out for you or something that I can find online?
                      Hi maryc0428 - that's a great question. Everyone's medical needs and care plan is different based on their specific circumstances. It's best to speak to your local dietitian and care team to determine what diet is best for you. Once you have a clearer understanding on the foods you should and should not be eating, you may want to give the DaVita Diet Helper a try: http://bit.ly/2ae6Vi2. It helps you plan and track kidney-friendly meals that adhere to your specific nutritional goals. I hope that helps!

Comment

How can I see my Creatinine/GFR tests

Comment

I have stage 3 CKD and have been following the food recipes on Davila for past 4 years. My numbers also fluctuate a lot. I learned the hard way that we need to check our magnesium levels. Mine plummeted and I did not know it. I was having constant UTI, dizziness, fatigue and just felt bad. I ended up in hospital getting 6 bags of magnesium through an IV. So have that checked. I now take Mag Ox as this does not mess up kidneys. Another food to avoid is chocolate. I have high blood pressure, CAD and A-fibs so have to really watch my diet. Following the Davila recipes, I lost 40 pounds and have kept it off. My husband loves the Davila recipes but I will cook me chicken and him beef, but still he lost 20 pounds. Diet is the key.

Comment

Working...
                          X