question about care - Welcome to the myDaVita Kidney Disease and Dialysis Forums

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

question about care

Page Title Module
Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, the cost and number of anti-rejection meds has caused me to re-examine whether I want or do not want a transplant (as well as the 3+ months recovery period-just long enough that no employer is required to hold your job for you...). My mother had 2 cadaver transplants, and neither lasted more than 7 years. Plus, medication interaction problems made her unable to try certain cancer medications when she developed lung cancer, so it is entirely possible that having a transplant was at least a contributing factor in her death at age 76.

It's like leaving one master for another, plus it will make you ineligible for disability after 1 year. Unless I am GAINFULLY employed, I'm not going to even consider a transplant until I'm 64; that way, when my disability runs out, I'll be old enough for straight social security.

Comment

Sorry Patricia. I have had the same thoughts about transplant. I supposedly am on the list at Cedars Sinai, but alas, as I pointed out to my DaVita Social Worker a few weeks back, I have had no contact with them since I made the list in 2013. Supposedly I am still listed. With my other health issues and my lifestyle, I can honestly say that when I was 21 I never thought I would live past 25; then when I was 40, I was facing that my Mom passed at 41; and now I just turned 50 and have been been on pd for 3 years. I am about to start some in depth research on the subject, but my plans would involve completing grad school (thanks DOR!!!) before I would want to consider the aggressive pursuit.

As you speak of Patricia, I have lived a very full and rewarding life in my few short years. The fact one doctor told me on Monday that if he did not know already that from my blood work he sees, he would never even be able to tell that I was a dialysis patient or that type II diabetes I recently developed as a result of all the dextrose in pd is even possible based on my labs.

Short version, I need to really examine a transplant and the issues you present and my own thoughts and desires related to how I want to wind down my life. I have heard stories (I think it was on an episode of Undercover Boss - Wast Management) of one gentleman who has been on dialysis for 20 years. I could totally live a happy and satisfying life if that is truly possible in my current circumstance.

Thanks for sharing everyone. You definitely make the stress of our shared situations much more bearable and manageable.

TTFN-

Comment

Originally posted by richolquin View Post
        The fact one doctor told me on Monday that if he did not know already that from my blood work he sees, he would never even be able to tell that I was a dialysis patient or that type II diabetes I recently developed as a result of all the dextrose in pd is even possible based on my labs.

TTFN-
        Rich did your family have a history of diabetes? Was wondering if you getting diabetes was because of PD or a predisposition to it. With getting Diabetes do you still feel the PD was the right choice for you?

Comment

Originally posted by 1scaredycat View Post
          Patricia when did you learn about the anti-rejection drugs? Did the doctors inform you or did you do your investigation on your own?
          I was sent to the Mayo clinic in jacksonville FL for 5 days right after I started PD, for evaluation for transplant. there they tell you everything you do (and do not) want to know about transplants including the anti-rejection drugs that are so strong they cause cancer all by themselves...seemed like a no-win situation for me.

Comment

I have swollen feet the past 3 days with pain. I went to a clinic to get in the same day,my family Dr. takes 3 weeks to see. It took 5 hours to get in and I told him I thought it was my chronic kidney disease and he agreed and sent me immediately to a lab to get 14 kidney and liver tests done. Lab told me it would take 2 days for results. I went back to Dr. in 2 days to see about results,they said they had information and went to check with the Dr. Dr. is now sending me to a Nephrologist because kidneys are getting worse. My family Dr. does 2 kidney tests a year and says I do not need to do anything unless it is really bad. I get my appointment date in 2 more days. After I see him I will ask to see a nutritionalist A.S.A.P. I finally found someone to look after my health properly. I do not know what stage I am in now but, will find out soon from Dr. I have had kidney disease for 2 years now.

Comment

I had a situation where I had high Creatinine levels and abnormal EGFR for my age (74) for years. There was no remediation done nor mention of any problem . Have a new Doctor who ordered blood work and diagnosed stage 3 CKD and now on kidney diet, and followup blood work shows it is helping to stabilize.

Comment

Sounds like you're doing better orangecity2015, glad to hear it! Have you tried using the DaVita Diet Helper yet? It's a great resource that allows you to plan and track kidney-friendly meals while staying on top of your nutritional goals. It sounds like it may help since you're new to a kidney diet. Let me know if you have any questions, have a great afternoon!

Comment

I have had chronic kidney disease for 3 years with no luck with my family Dr. I recently went to a clinic and waited 5 hours and was told my chronic kidney disease has caused liver damage and must go to lab immediately for 14 liver,kidney and mineral tests. I am being sent to a nephrologist when I can get in who will give me the results. Clinic Dr. will not give me my results. Maybe you should see another Dr.

Comment

Kelsey. I have used the Davita menu and diet planning, and is very helpful. Some great recipes! Thanks. My weight loss has evened out and feeling ok, with balanced exercise activity. It is a hard diagnosis to grasp and adjust to..

Comment

That's so great to hear orangecity2015 - keep up the great work!

Comment

Working...
                      X