Feeling like CRAP!! - Welcome to the myDaVita Kidney Disease and Dialysis Forums

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Feeling like CRAP!!

Page Title Module
Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Feeling like CRAP!!

    Hey all. I'm in Stage IV CKD. Numbers are:

    Serum Creatinine: 3.5
    BUN: 54
    GFR: 22

    Numbers have been fairly stable give or take. I've been feeling very nauseated and tired lately without any energy. I just feel like complete crap and sleep a lot. I've asked my Neph several times if I should start thinking about a renal diet. His position is "NO" and my only limitations is monitor salt intake. My question for you guys should I be thinking about a renal diet? Is my diet causing me to feel this way? I'm a meat and potatoes guy so I do eat a lot of protein. Is this causing me to feel so sick all the time? Are my kidneys not processing what I'm eating, thus making me feel bad? I go back and see doctor a the end of month and have several other questions as well.

    Thank you for any help you can give me.

    JF

  • #2
    I was sick with potatoes, protein (red meat not fish or chicken), nuts and milk products. Don't eat them and feel better but still not feeling normal(just better). Of course everyone is different on how their bodies respond to their kidney disease.

    Comment


    • #3
      It seems like it's just a guessing game... Drink plenty of fluids to avoid the leg cramps and then I am on the pot all night instead!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by foghorn View Post
        It seems like it's just a guessing game... Drink plenty of fluids to avoid the leg cramps and then I am on the pot all night instead!
        Hi Foghorn. Everyone is different. I would STRONGLY recommend that you ask your doctor for a referral to a nutritionist! They will look at your current labs and help design the right diet for you at this stage in your process. No two people are exactly the same, so its hard to give a canned response. If your physician is not supportive or assisting you to get what you need, call your insurance company and find out who else is in your plan and CHANGE DOCTORS.

        This disease can progress very quickly for some and slower for others. Of course, also driven by other physical issues you may have (like diabetes or high BP). Generally speaking, phosphorus is a no-no after stage 3, so just learning what foods you can/cannt eat will not only help you feel a bit better, but potentially keep the disease from progressing as quickly.

        Comment


        • #5
          Phosphorus is a very serious problem. My husband did not take his Phosphours binders as he should. Did not really understand how important they were. He developed calciphilaxis. Look it up. He has since lost his leg. If it had come up anywhere else in his body, he would not have survived. Can't tell you important it is to take your pills.

          Comment


          • #6
            Hi JK--My eGFR fluctuates between 50 and 60 and I am on a strict renal diet. I too ate lots of protein and milk products and drank wine. Now I limit protein to very small amounts about 2 times per day. I do not eat milk products. My diet is mostly fresh veg/fruit, some carbs like cereal etc.And when I eat eggs and meat etc., I pick grassfed or organic only. You need to make a radical change if you want to feel better. Right now, I feel great, all my headaches, nausea, and sick feeling has gone away. Change your diet.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by HellsBay View Post
              Hey all. I'm in Stage IV CKD. Numbers are:

              Serum Creatinine: 3.5
              BUN: 54
              GFR: 22

              Numbers have been fairly stable give or take. I've been feeling very nauseated and tired lately without any energy. I just feel like complete crap and sleep a lot. I've asked my Neph several times if I should start thinking about a renal diet. His position is "NO" and my only limitations is monitor salt intake. My question for you guys should I be thinking about a renal diet? Is my diet causing me to feel this way? I'm a meat and potatoes guy so I do eat a lot of protein. Is this causing me to feel so sick all the time? Are my kidneys not processing what I'm eating, thus making me feel bad? I go back and see doctor a the end of month and have several other questions as well.

              Thank you for any help you can give me.

              JF
              My doctor also said to only watch my sodium. I did find when I reduced my protein and gave up potatoes,milk and bananas and my numbers seemed better. My nurse said that I didn't need to be restricting those. But since I went back to eating the protein,milk and potatoes my numbers went up again. My way seemed better for me. I am going back to the way I was eating. Do you know your phosphorus numbers? I look over all my labs to see what is up and down each time. Potatoes have a lot of phosphorus. Most everything I read says to reduce protein. Not saying you should but may be something you might try. Milk is another high phosphorus food. Try changing to chicken and veggies and eat less protein for a week and see where it gets you. In my opinion you have to do what works for you. If the doctor isn't helping time to find a new doctor. But make sure you know your numbers. I graph my numbers so I can see what problems may be coming. Hope things will turn around for you soon.

              Comment


              • #8
                Hi 1scaredycat, one medium baked potato has 121 mg. phosphorus...and 926 mg. POTASSIUM .....(too much potassium will slow down the heart!) but you were right about milk being high in phos.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by patricia0805 View Post
                  Hi 1scaredycat, one medium baked potato has 121 mg. phosphorus...and 926 mg. POTASSIUM .....(too much potassium will slow down the heart!) but you were right about milk being high in phos.
                  Thanks Patricia I stand corrected. I did meant Potassium. I typed the wrong word. I will be more careful. But good to know all the numbers.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Oh, I don't know the numbers off the top of my head, I have a pamplet

                    AAKP Nutrition Counter: A Reference For The Kidney Patient (English)

                    Nutritional values for standard portions of more than 300 commonly used foods.

                    Sales price: $1.50
                    (I got mine free at a seminar) www.aakp.org

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      ps/ I gave this info to my dialysis center, but I don't think they ordered any :-(

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by patricia0805 View Post
                        ps/ I gave this info to my dialysis center, but I don't think they ordered any :-(
                        That would be a great help for everyone. Thanks for sharing. I am looking it up right away.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Don't worry so much...

                          Thanks Patricia for sharing. And as for you 1scaredycat, I can only warn you that if you spend this much time worrying about the minutia in detail you will drive yourself batsh-- nuts before you even start dialysis. I have been on pd for 3 yrs 5 months and I only now really have been closely monitoring dietary details. Month in month out, my numbers are all on target and the only months I do have slight hiccups (usually phosphorus but never <6.5) is when I try to follow the diet details strictly. As for my abnormal tests, I switched to a sugar free raspberry punch that had boatloads of hidden phosphorus. Moderation, healthy, and variety is how I get by. My nurse gets mad at me because she says I restrict my diet too much, but it works and according to my labs most ER docs and specialists can't even tell I am on dialysis unless they check my creatinine.My point is, do what works for you and don't be afraid to be adventurous doing what works for you...
                          Last edited by richolquin; 09-09-2015, 12:28 AM. Reason: sp.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            on a strict renal diet and lots , I mean lot's, of water, my GFR went from 29 to 40 in one year.. The diet is extremely important. also, water is. your friend. A GFR can go up and down according to how you eat and drink. Also what pills you take. Never take any drug metabolized in the kidneys. usually over the counter will state if it's metabolized in liver or kidneys. it takes getting used to but limit most your drinks to water. Do NOT use salt. Eat lean protines.Research kidney friendly foods. Even as we have CKD you still can improve your function by being on a strict kidney diet. Hope this helps.

                            Comment

                            Back to Top
                            Working...
                            X