Completely stressed over what to eat - Welcome to the myDaVita Kidney Disease and Dialysis Forums
Close Mobile Navigation

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Completely stressed over what to eat

Page Title Module
Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Completely stressed over what to eat

I am so frustrated with my diet. I cannot eat enough calories without going over limits on one thing or the other. I can even get up to 1000 calories and though I need to lose weight which I have been doing I feel I am not nourishing my body enough. I should at least be eating 1200 calories. I only eat meat once a day so lunch is a big problem. Everything with protein has too much pot, sodium or carbs. my insurance does not cover a dietician. A lot of vegtables have pot. also as does fruit. I see people on here who eat only vegs. and fruit and wonder how they get protein and calories. I'm also confused about what to drink. The water in our area is not good. A lot of people here buy bottled water but again we can't have that. Any advice would be welcome!

Are you on dialysis? If so, there should be a dietitian at your center that you can ask. My dietitian got me started on a very low phosphorus protein supplement called Liqui-cel which I purchase on Amazon. It has 16g of protein per 2 tbsp serving. I usually just dump it over a glass of crushed ice and drink it as the ice melts.
    As for fruits and veggies- I stick to berries, apples, and salad. My diet may be a bit boring, but it allows me to stay in the guidelines that have been set for me.

Good luck- and keep posting here!!

Comment

Thanks for the advise. I am not on dialysis working hard to keep gfr stabilized. I am at stage4 gfr of 27. Does anyone know what Essence insurance covers in the way of nutritional advise? I know they cover medical nutritional therapy but it seems to be related to the kinds of meds you take. Thanks again!

Comment

sorry typo meant advice.

Comment

I can relate to the quandary over what to eat! I got to where I was having a high-protein bar for a meal, which gave me the protein, but nothing else. (I am on dialysis: home PD) I realized I wasn't eating right, not getting all the other nutrients. So I decided to actually fix 3 meals a day. ;-) It isn't easy but I stick with low potassium foods and limit portion size, which isn't hard since I don't have much of an appetite anyway. I still may have a protein bar instead of, or in addition to, the meat. But "real food" is much better I'm sure.
          Maureen, thanks for the tip on the Liqui-cel for protein. The whey stuff is high in both phosphorus and potassium, and eventually tastes yucky! I use it in a "smoothie" of high-protein non-dairy milk (10gm./cup) and berries. Sounds like Liqui-cel might taste a lot better.

Comment

P.S. By my time it's only 10:29 a.m. (PDT) Where on earth is it 5:27 p.m.???

Comment

Hi, i'm at 4 also. I stopped eating all processed foods, dairy, I do eat eggs for protein, whites. Only boars head turkey (organic), no skin for protein or fish. fruit, greens etc. I drink 1/2 my body weight in water...per oz...i got a brita water filter system, my water is horrible! I don't like plastic! No milk, i use coconut milk...i do allow myself 1/2 for my coffee good luck!

Comment

How much coffee do you allow yourself. I drank coffee all my life and It is one of the hardest things I reduced in my diet.

Comment

Where are you getting your info on what to eat. So far I've only found a list of "15 best foods" for kidney problems. And how do you find out how much phosphates a food item has (reading labels doesn't show amount of phosphorus on foods) I'm overwhelmed.

Comment

I'm just learning too but wanted to reply to the "how do I find out how much phosphorus?" The Davita Diet Helper will give you the amount of phosphorus on a lot of foods.

Comment

Vegetables are good. Figure many different ways to cook them. Roasted, barbequed, boiled, souped. Salmon & Tuna are good. Make a sandwich. Mayo, onions, 2 oz salmon. Save leftover salmon for a salmon salad..

New Recipe: Similar to Tom Kai Soup.

Saute,
                      1/2 onion,
                      1/2 cup celery,
                      1/2 cup cabbage,
                      4 oz bamboo shoots canned & rinsed,
                      gai Lan or baby bok choy, around 1 C.
                      Add 2 cups of low sodium of low sodium vegetable broth or other broth if non vegetarian.
                      red pepper flakes to your taste, around 1 tsp.
                      Then add 2 Cups fresh bean sprouts and
                      one can of Coconut cream or milk. (not coconut water),
                      medium heat until soup is hot and vegetables are tender.
                      Add pepper to taste

You can eat the whole lot or 2 meals as it makes 2 large bowls.

You can add a small amount of stir fried chicken if you are not vegetarian.

Comment

Working...
                      X