It is possible to reverse Chronic Kidney Disease - Welcome to the myDaVita Kidney Disease and Dialysis Forums

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

It is possible to reverse Chronic Kidney Disease

Page Title Module
Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It is possible to reverse Chronic Kidney Disease

I just wanted to tell my story about reversing kidney disease. On January 26th of this year I was diagnosed with Stage 3A Chronic Kidney Disease with an eGFR of 49. As soon as I received that diagnoses I began researching everything I could about CKD. I found this website and read many other articles on different websites about CKD and found out as much as I could about it. I read and was told that you cannot reverse CKD but you could slow its progression. I was a person that ate frozen dinners 99% of the time because I was never one to cook for myself. I didn't know how to cook and never had to do it before. After reading about things you have to go through if you reach stage 4 and get close to dialysis I decided to make a radical change in my lifestyle and I started walking a minimum of 4 miles a day around 5-6 days a week. Before that the doctor always told me that I need to exercise and cut down my salt intake and sugars because I had high blood pressure and high cholesterol. I was never one to take anything seriously about my health and just shrugged it off and kept eating the way I always had and never exercising. When I finally decided to make a change in my lifestyle I started cooking for myself and just follow the directions on all the different recipes on this website and I actually started making some pretty delicious tasting meals! That was a definite shock to me and my brother-in-law that has diabetes also loved the different things that I was making.

I stopped eating all types of junk food and ate only things that I found and learned about on this website. I found a nephrologist and on 3/23/18 had a blood test and was told my eGFR was now 52 and I was doing good and did not have to be seen for another 4 months. He also said I had lost over 20 lbs. and to keep doing whatever I was doing because it seems to be helping. Well I kept on with my new diet and exercising and on 4/3/18 went to my primary care physician and had him take a blood test so I could find out how the dieting and exercising was working for my blood pressure and high cholesterol. The assistant at my doctor’s office called me to tell me my new results of the blood test and asked me what I was doing because whatever it was she said to keep doing it because there were huge improvements in my health! My blood pressure and high cholesterol were now in the normal range. The most shocking thing she told me was that now my eGFR was at 60 and instead of Stage 3A CKD, I was at Stage 2 CKD. Here is exactly what the results of the new blood test results said. "Patient was previously in CKD stage 3a, eGFR is now above 60 and outside the scope of the program."

All of the changes I had made had actually reversed my CKD and I had been told and read in articles that it could not be done! I believe that through my Mom's prayers and shear willpower, things had radically changed in my health! Now on 4/29/18 and 59 years old I went from 190 lbs. in January 2018 to 161 lbs. today. I feel so much healthier and joined a gym and started weight training. Unfortunately I can no longer walk like I was because of a hip problem I developed from walking so much on hard pavement but have replaced that with indoor cycling for my cardio. I'm sorry if this story was long but I just had to tell my story to let everyone know that with shear willpower and prayer anything is possible!!

Glad to hear it. I was a stage 4. When I found out I immediately went to a nutritionist. I lost 20lbs.After my next visit it was discovered I dropped to stage 3.I ve been doing less than a 1000 mg a day. Keep up the good work.

Comment

That's really great to hear. The only reason I told my story was to try and give other people encouragement. When I read that if I didn't improve my lifestyle and stop the damage to my kidneys I would spend hours daily on dialysis it scared me into a radical change. It's really nice to hear that other people have experienced the same success!! Next step for you is stage 2!!!! I learned quite a bit from my nutritionist and have taken that information to heart and made even more changes to nutrition. Good luck and keep up the great work!

Comment

That is very reassuring that Kidney disease can be controlled through proper diet. My dad was on Hemo-dialysis at a Davita dialysis center in the Redding California area. I heard about his treatment there. He never complained about being there. I think it was normal for his wife to complain about having to go to the clinic for 3-4 hour visits and also pack a lunch which was necessary due to the weakened state of the individual after going through dialysis. I know Hemodialysis is hard on the body. He stayed on Hemo dialysis at the clinic over a year and he was there 3 times each week. He then went to Peritoneal Dialysis for almost 2 years , which was performed at home which is conducted every night. Dad always looked tired from not getting a good nights sleep because the dialysis was performed at night which included being hooked up to stomach tubes and you cannot move sleeping positions. He also had the treatment constant from hook ups during the day and I think that was to continue getting rid of bodily toxins. The procedure as it was performed to my Dad may limit quality of life through limiting living life. He started lacking exercise which was normal walking which can be debilitating because always hooked up and un-hooked up from dialysis procedure. Not to scare anyone,( I think the treatment is personal in what dialysis treatment that you want to use and is necessary. Hemo can be done at home too). Dad was stage 4. All that Dad said was that at home dialysis was what was best with no further explanation. With that, I hope that you make the best decision regarding your own care. You do have choices and what makes you feel best. Dad even had to quit taking showers and that makes most people feel not quite awake and with it with what is normal each day to live a quality life. He had turned 80. He also had to take a pain medication which could affect stable mobility.He had always been active and lived a full life and he did socialize often outside of his home. He was not convalescent but when an individual has stress and pressure put onto them they will have other health problems. My dad was always in control of his life. He was on dialysis a little over 4 years and then he went into the hospital with Pneumonia. After about a month in the hospital and having surgery performed to have tubes placed to drain the fluid from his lungs so that he could breath easier he mended up and seemed well and had no infections. His life depended on dialysis. His voice always sounded strong when I had spoken to him which was often. His wife decided to have him taken off dialysis with no further explanation other than he was unable to rehabilitate when the rehabilitation was to take place. I hope this description can help you and those involved in what a dialysis patient goes through and making decisions. Thanks for listening.
        Last edited by isbn1010; 05-10-2018, 06:00 PM.

Comment

This response for the edit was for accuracy purposes.

Comment

What an inspiring post! At almost 65, female with only right kidney, I too am striving Hard through radical diet change, weight loss, and have to work harder on the exercise..at the moment I'm more like a couch potato except doing a lot of gardening.

If there is Anyone who'd like to join me I'd be happy to have a partner for support and to give support. Currently my gfr is 29, and creatinine level is 1.8. Previously, 3 months ago when I was really making an effort to change my diet and lifestyle, my creatinine level was 2.1. My goal/hope is to get back to stage 3.

Changes I've made, due to one kidney I don't drink as much water as some would. I'm 5'1" and now have gone down from 133 to 124/125. I'm drinking a combination of 20 oz of cranberry juice and filtered water, at least 20 oz of plain water, and 8 oz of almond milk. For protein I eat a "palm size" of cage free chicken, same with fish and cage free eggs. Two protein a day, no dairy except for yogurt that is "alive". Fruits and vegetables are the staple. No processed foods.

I'm lucky that I don't have a problem with blood pressure, my problem is with my stomach/digestion/acid reflux. I took prilosec for Years and discovered after my cancer that was The Worst med, next to advil, motrin, tylenol etc. So now I'm on Zantac twice a day...sometimes it works sometimes not. I do have a problem with vomiting, have gone to hospital for fluids...Hours Later...now instead I weigh myself, what ever pounds I've lost I slowly drink that amount of fluids, including pedilite for my electrolytes balance...if that isn't right I get leg cramps.

Comment

Your story is inspiring I was just diagnosed and felt depressed for a few weeks I want to follow diet and lose weight to improve my health! thanks. My creatinine level is 1.8, high cholestrol over 200 and high sugars too, I am 133 lbs, 5 ft, and over 60. Have been a diabetic since 2002. I started the dietition's meal plan and hope to see some changes. I hope to show these changes in a few months!!

Comment

hi sar….good for you and the changes. it's funny, I found this book at the library by chance, and it's given me so much, hummm can't think of a word...opening my eyes to life. "The Power of Meaning (crafting a life that matters).Since I started to read the book, I realized now my son is grown and gone I've floundered for a couple of years. Tomorrow will be one week that I added walking 2 times around my block. Isolation is just as bad for health!!! I found I could go for days and not talk to anyone...not good. Small steps, great faith can move mountains! Best of luck to you!

Comment

I am still trying to get my head around all the changes, I am trying very hard to keep what function I have. Your story give me hope that my function might become better too. Congratulations on the improved labs and keep up the good work staying as healthy as possible.

Comment

I am in stage 3B of kidney disease. My GFR dropped 13% in one year. I have always been allergic too many foods all my life and have never been a vegetarian. I am having a hard time adapting to the idea that I am mainly going to have to eat vegetables and fruit and have to adapt my diet once again. I don't eat canned, processed food or GMO's. How much meat is it okay to eat on a weekly basis? I am not overweight and exercise at least 4 times a week that includes cardio and lifting weights and Pilates.

Comment

TL...sorry to read about your drop in one year...scary...happened to me too, I went from 3a to level 4. from what I've found on the web, age, weight, sex determines 'everything' you eat. for me, cause my gfr dropped so much and I've only got one kidney I've asked for a referral to ckd nutritionist. I don't see in your post anything about dairy...or nuts....lots of protein in them...I stopped most dairy from my diet, especially cheese, I suggest you google ckd and protein intake, then type in specifics for you...male/felmale weight etc. good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by granroney View Post
                        I am still trying to get my head around all the changes, I am trying very hard to keep what function I have. Your story give me hope that my function might become better too. Congratulations on the improved labs and keep up the good work staying as healthy as possible.
                        Can u help me i have stage2 kidney disease u got a facebook so we ca talk

Comment

Working...
                        X