Stage 2 CKD - But What is the cause? - Welcome to the myDaVita Kidney Disease and Dialysis Forums
Close Mobile Navigation

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stage 2 CKD - But What is the cause?

Page Title Module
Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stage 2 CKD - But What is the cause?

My eGFR is 60. Depending on the lab I can be stage 2 or stage 3, lately I have been 2.

What is bothering me is that there is no identifiable reason for what is causing my kidney problems.

No family history of CKD. I am at a healthy weight, non-smoker, non hypertensive, and not diabetic. All my labs are perfect except for renal function. I do not use drugs of any kind except three medications prescribed by my doctor and they are not cleared renally.

Any thoughts on this?? My doctors explanation is that it must have been caused by some ibuprofen I took after a car accident three years ago. I feel like my kidneys should have regained better function by now.

Second opinion?

Comment

I went through 3 days of imaging, testing and blood draws before they found the cause for my CKD. It was the metformin I was taking, I have several comorbidities so my body reacts different to meds. I was told never again was I to take anything over the counter without asking my Dr, except Tylenol. A lot of meds go and attack the kidneys, yes motrin is one of them. I wouldn't suggest anyone stop taking their meds but I would suggest keeping an eye on them. I would also suggest getting hard copies of your lab reports so you can track your results. My gfr is 23.

Comment

Originally posted by imama23 View Post
        I went through 3 days of imaging, testing and blood draws before they found the cause for my CKD. It was the metformin I was taking, I have several comorbidities so my body reacts different to meds. I was told never again was I to take anything over the counter without asking my Dr, except Tylenol. A lot of meds go and attack the kidneys, yes motrin is one of them. I wouldn't suggest anyone stop taking their meds but I would suggest keeping an eye on them. I would also suggest getting hard copies of your lab reports so you can track your results. My gfr is 23.
        It was the Metformin??? I thought that keeping blood sugar level was good, but I do remember my doctor wanted to reduce mine, and we tried stopping it and replace w/ something else which didn't work at all.

Comment

Yes, it was e Metformin so I was taken off all my diabetic meds and put on insulin. It's not just metformin, there are meds that go straight for your kidneys. Then there are meds that react different with some people but not others. In my case, not all, metformin worked against me.

Comment

I don't think you listed your age. That also is a factor.

Comment

Totally agree with lowrain. Age is huge factor. A healthy 65 year old will have lower numbers than a healthy 40 year old . our numbers go down as we age but that doesn't mean a person will ever get to the point of needing dialysis.

Comment

Thanks for info on Metformin and ckd.

Comment

Because I had no medical history to speak of until shortly before being dxd, my CKD is attributed to either diabetes, trauma from emergency surgery or possible heavy dependence on Ibuprofen when I was younger. It really doesn't matter how I acquired it, I have it and have to deal with it.

Comment

Working...
                  X