Slow down progresson of ckd - Welcome to the myDaVita Kidney Disease and Dialysis Forums
Close Mobile Navigation

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slow down progresson of ckd

Page Title Module
Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow down progresson of ckd

I am stage 3b ckd and trying to do all I can to slow down further progression. Have been reading research studies from NIH and other reputable places but can t find information on the length of time people are maintaining their level at diagnosis, except for one study recommending t3-4 supplementation for patients with pre hypothyroid conditions (high tsh). According to their chart, gfr went up by as much as 25%, peaking in year 3 and then back down to the starting level in year 5. Does anyone have any other information on this? I ve seen absolutely nothing relating to expected rates of degeneration, etc.

That is because we are all different. Some people stay at the same stage for years and some go down hill quick.

Comment

I am new to this was just diagnosed. Can your GFR go up? Does that mean you no longer have CKD? Mine was 46 last month and it is 70 this month. Do not understand

Comment

I'm no Dr but sounds like you had acute kidney disease, not chronic.

Comment

I have the same problem Dea16. I can't get my doctor to even give me a ballpark figure on life expectancy. I just got diagnosed two weeks ago with Stage 3B (136 GFR) and I am trying to figure out if I should retire. I\m 65 and a high school teacher. I still love my job, but I don't want to be in a position where I call in sick every other week. That would not be fair to the kids..How much time I have left is a big factor. My kidney doctor will only say "Some people live a long time." I asked him what a long time was. Was it five years? Ten years? He just shrugged and said "yeah."

Comment

Please help - My husbancd's Creatinine and Bun are muich too high - What can we do to lower his numbers in both - he also has foam part of the time in his urine - what causes that? And how can it be prevented and corrected. Thanks so much. We did get his Potassium and Glucose down to a good number with a diet but I need recipes and diet suggestions. Thanks again. Margaret Nutter

Comment

regarding longevity people are living to around 85 - 90 these days. Theres a guy in my clinic who is 95 and another who is 22. Your kidneys go on you mostly because of high blood pressure, diabetes, and genetics I am told.. It's built in obsolescence like a light bulb. It lasts so long then the light goes out. don't worry about it. You can prolong your life but only for so long. In my case i have been on dialysis for 5 months and i am going to try not to worry about it. When my time comes it comes. In the meantime i will be grateful for the time I have. .I wish you all happiness and inner peace.

Comment

Originally posted by Nutty777 View Post
                Please help - My husbancd's Creatinine and Bun are muich too high - What can we do to lower his numbers in both - he also has foam part of the time in his urine - what causes that? And how can it be prevented and corrected. Thanks so much. We did get his Potassium and Glucose down to a good number with a diet but I need recipes and diet suggestions. Thanks again. Margaret Nutter

You don't say how high the numbers are, but please look around the site and check out the recipes and suggestions to limit/reduce phosphorous, potassium & protein, also which are the best anti-oxidant foods (some are, cabbage, cauliflower, berries). The DaVita site has such great information to help manage our CKD. Take advantage of the resources here.

Comment

We’ve changed my husbands diet to under 2g daily K & Na, protein under 70g and keeping the phosphorus “down” per his doc. his numbers dropped by .2 and 10 points down within a week. His protein levels in his urine are the best they’ve ever been since his dx about 10 years ago. No more foaming urine. recently he dropped to stage 4 from years of 3 because of insurance issues and losing our docs and now finally he went to doc- his CDK was exacerbated by uncolntrolled HTN... so def check with your doc and find out where you should keep those dialy. I wish we had been told to do that earlier...we were told keep the Na down for his HTN, but if only we’d known sooner..... but, here we are and now we’ll deal with it. We just meet with our DaVita person today and she’s awesome! Your nephrologist is always the definitive answer... and if he/she doesn’t answer then.... well, the doc should.... and the resources here are awesome..i love the tracker!! Just made my life so much easier!!!

Comment

Originally posted by della80755 View Post
                    I have the same problem Dea16. I can't get my doctor to even give me a ballpark figure on life expectancy. I just got diagnosed two weeks ago with Stage 3B (136 GFR) and I am trying to figure out if I should retire. I\m 65 and a high school teacher. I still love my job, but I don't want to be in a position where I call in sick every other week. That would not be fair to the kids..How much time I have left is a big factor. My kidney doctor will only say "Some people live a long time." I asked him what a long time was. Was it five years? Ten years? He just shrugged and said "yeah."
                    Hello Della, I ve been doing research and still can t find a definitive answer, I guess the stage and development of CKD are really specific to the individual and have to be treated that way (ideally). But, from what I ve been reading, if your condition is not acute, you should be able to have an active life with your GFR for quite a few years. According to one scientific article published in AMS (Archives of Medical Science) on August 1, 2016 about a study conducted with 90 CKD patients over 60, GFR remained more or less stable over a five-year period and even improved with T4 supplementation. Diet really does play an important factor, although some nephrologists are not very well educated on it.. I can vouch for this myself after slipping from my strict, self-imposed regimen from gfr 46 to 38 -- my nephrologist was lacsadaisical and said "no restrictions" and "enjoy yourself while you can".. I think she s a firm believer in dialysis or maybe just practical .. whatever the reason, I am back on my stricter diet and slowly improving.. although losing weight is a problem with my TSH, which tends to be close to the upper limit. So, what I am thinking and want to believe is that you do have something to say about controlling the progression with diet and exercise. Also, if you enjoy your work, why quit it? Unless you find it to be too stressful, of course. Pleasant music might help a bit there. In any case, all the best for you, Dea

Comment

Have been finding a lot on herbs that can help improve kidney function .. meringa leaves, marschmallow root, dandelion root, ginger, turmeric, parsley and others.. recommended by Chinese medicine and homeopaths in Europe, Australia and the USA. There is also a study on the positive effects of dandelion tea for the colon, liver and kidneys. It s a bit bitter but tastes ok mixed with some pineapple juice.

Comment

At my first appt with a nephrologist (She is a top notch Dr at San Antonio Military Medical Center) she told me we are born with more kidney function than we need and that I can live a long time with the kidney function I have. (Egfr usually somewhere in the 50s range) How long I assume, Is up to me and how well I take care of myself.. Lots of liquids, low sodium and potassium, moderate proteins and fats. I did get a kidney infection earlier this year, but was told it would not affect my kidney function overall. Hope this helps.

Comment

My sister was diagnosed with kidney disease and her doctor told her she had up to 10 years to live at the time. She follows her diet very carefully and it has now been 20 years for her. She just was diagnosed at stage 4 recently! He thought that she got her disease from scar tissue from many urinary tract infections when she was younger!
                          Last edited by Matthew26; 08-10-2018, 02:15 PM.

Comment

If you have CKD even stage 5, you can still work. On the net look you "Chronic Kidney Disease and working". It should give you all the information you want. In addition, the length of time you have before End Stage Renal Disease (ESRD), depends on how you take care of yourself and what you eat and drink. Suggestion, speak with you Nephrologist regarding visiting a dietician for the proper diet for your stage.

Comment

Working...
                            X