Is phosphorus restricted for all with CKD or just those on dialysis? - Welcome to the myDaVita Kidney Disease and Dialysis Forums
Close Mobile Navigation

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is phosphorus restricted for all with CKD or just those on dialysis?

Page Title Module
Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is phosphorus restricted for all with CKD or just those on dialysis?

I've never seen phosphorus on my blood tests but am reading it is bad for a renal diet. When I read further it says because dialysis can't remove it all from the blood so does that mean unless your on dialysis you don't need to be concerned? I'm stage 3 and my potassium is mid range for a normal person so assume I can keep eating foods with it until my numbers are no longer good.

As I understand it, ANYONE with CKD should be concerned about the phosphorus in their diet. I believe bad leg cramps are one of the symptoms of having too much in your system. Ask your nephrologist to check your phosphorus level the next time you need lab work done

Comment

I am CKD level 3 and am phosphorus and sodium restricted.

Comment

Whether you're on dialysis or not, I believe you're supposed to be trying to balance phosphorus --for most, that's going to be restricting it. But on very low protein diets it could be too low.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/food-and-...s/faq-20058408

https://www.davita.com/kidney-diseas...disease/e/5306

https://www.davita.com/kidney-diseas...y-diet/e/10253

The trouble, though, is that good nutrient info regarding phosphorus is notoriously hard to find

https://www.davita.com/kidney-diseas...trol-it/e/5322

I spend lots of time trying to dig out phosphorus info and update my food tracking. One of the easiest (but still not great) places is Self Magazine's interface to the USDA nutrient database,

http://nutritiondata.self.com/tools/nutrient-search

Single item search is on the upper right. In terms of modern search capabilities, it's pretty weak; requires a precise match with a keyword in their title to find something. Still, it's the best I can find that has even a semblance of trustworthy data.

Green Beans example:
        http://nutritiondata.self.com/foods-...000000000.html

select Beans, snap, green, cooked, boiled, drained, without salt
        http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/2342/2

Comment

Originally posted by elizwlsn View Post
          I've never seen phosphorus on my blood tests but am reading it is bad for a renal diet. When I read further it says because dialysis can't remove it all from the blood so does that mean unless your on dialysis you don't need to be concerned? I'm stage 3 and my potassium is mid range for a normal person so assume I can keep eating foods with it until my numbers are no longer good.

My thought, if you're in stage 3, I would cut back on the phosphates, no sense in making your kidneys work harder at this point. I would cut back, talk to your doctor to find out for sure what your daily intake limit should be. Better safe then sorry.

Comment

Re the phosphorus. Probably the bulk of what we were getting pre diagnosis is in the processed foods, the colas. If you read the labels, there's a staggering amount of inorganic phosphorus ( I think that' what they call it) meaning not naturally derived from whole food. I would hazard a guess if we just cut out the bulk of processed food, the large amounts of meat and dairy, we should be in a much better place, before we even start counting what we're eating. For me, how I will handle it, is to keep an eye on the blood phosphorus and potassium. That's what a dietician would do, I think.

Comment

BTW My last phosphorus was normal high, but the PCT (something to do with thyroid and phosphorus, IDK how) was high. It's hard to understand all of this, and even harder to micromanage these levels through diet. But we have to try

Comment

I agree, you should have been told to watch the phosphorus. They told me at stage 3. I also agree with erkyl77, you NEED to get your intake limets from your Dr. We don't all have the same diet or intake limets, we are limited but some more than others. I have a lot of limets because of my health, so I don't have the same limets others with stage 4 with GFR 24 have. Until then I would do my best to hunt down resources, there is a great site on the internet, eatthismuch.com. . it's awesome! The book Nutrition Almanac has been a great help also. When you come up with a meal just make a bunch and freeze some in individual containers as meals. Yes, time to start watching the phosphorus, potassium, protein, etc.but know your limets so you don't make yourself sick. Don't use other peoples medication OR their diets unless it's OK with your Dr.

Comment

By the wy, my potassium is in normal rage also, I work hard at keeping it there, but I'll remind you I am stage 4 with a gfr of 24. Take this serious hun. Not the end of the world, just watch what you eat. Be thankful you can eat, some people are fed liquid thru a tube. We don't have it so bad. Every once in a while i have a small portion of my favorit food, at Christma i had a piece of Happy Birthday Jesus cake! Take care.

Comment

Originally posted by imama23 View Post
                    I agree, you should have been told to watch the phosphorus. They told me at stage 3. I also agree with erkyl77, you NEED to get your intake limets from your Dr. We don't all have the same diet or intake limets, we are limited but some more than others. I have a lot of limets because of my health, so I don't have the same limets others with stage 4 with GFR 24 have. Until then I would do my best to hunt down resources, there is a great site on the internet, eatthismuch.com. . it's awesome! The book Nutrition Almanac has been a great help also. When you come up with a meal just make a bunch and freeze some in individual containers as meals. Yes, time to start watching the phosphorus, potassium, protein, etc.but know your limets so you don't make yourself sick. Don't use other peoples medication OR their diets unless it's OK with your Dr.
                    OK, what is a "limet"?

Comment

Hey dac0214, you are the reason I joined here. I figured if you could be honest in what you say without getting kicked off then maybe I had a chance of being allowed to stay also,lol. Love your posts!

When I speak of limets i'm talking about intake limets. What we are each allowed to have daily. My sodium intake I'm allowed to have is 1,500 daily.. My protein intake I am rallowed daily is 45 grams. I have some crazy limets I HOPE others in stage 4 with a gfr of 24 don't have. Not everyone has the same diet, I'm really sorry for not making this clear enough.

Comment

Everyone is different. It all depends on many things. It's BEST to ask your Health Care Team including you doctor

Comment

As all stated before we should limit phosphorus I have also read that high levels in our bodies can cause brittle bones! Another reason to limit how much we ingest.

Comment

I wouldn't go full on the dialysis diet, but by stage 2 I would say, cut back, take it easy on your kidneys. My doctor at the time told me; don't drink in excess, limit red meat, and don't smoke. Smoking is really hard on your kidneys. You can live your whole life very well in stage 3 without ever needing a transplant or dialysis so don't stress, because high blood certainly is hell on your kidneys too, that and diabetes The surest way to end up on dialysis is to ignore these very treatable conditions..
                            I would say in terms of diet, maybe don't overload on the "big ones" those that are high in both phosphorous and potassium such as; oranges, bananas, avocados and potatoes. Here are some high phos foods, but take note, plant-based phosphorus is not absorbed by the body as much as animal-based; so watch your cheese and meat.
                            • Soybeans
                            • Flaxseeds
                            • Lentils
                            • Navy beans
                            • Oats
                            • Pinto beans
                            • Quinoa
                            • Swiss cheese
                            • Sardines
                            • Dried peas

Comment

Just remember, not getting enough is just as bad as getting too much. Don't take other peoples meds OR diets.

Comment

Working...
                              X