X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gfr plunge

In January and March my GFR was 75. In October after a blood test it was 45. My GP followed up with the 24 hour urine test and it was 25. He just gave me the phone number to a nephrologist via a secretary. It took 6 weeks to get in and he did not seem concerned, just ordered more tests. All I have read says a drop of 5 in a month or 10 in a year is very serious.

Can anyone shed light on why they were unconcerned? I do not see the nephrologist again until 12/3.

Wow that was quite a drop. I would say you should be real concerned. At 25 you are in stage 4 kidney disease. They should be talking about plans for dialysis at this point. At least discussing it. I would be asking a lot of serious questions when you go. If you are dropping that fast it is very serious. If he doesn't tell you why he is not concerned or why it is dropping so quickly I would be looking for a new doctor.(quickly) Maybe even look for one now while you are waiting. It takes some time to get into the nephrologists. I would not leave that doctor without major answers. Good Luck at keep us posted. Hopefully the answers will be good answers.

Comment

Originally posted by KIngBuba View Post
      In January and March my GFR was 75. In October after a blood test it was 45. My GP followed up with the 24 hour urine test and it was 25. He just gave me the phone number to a nephrologist via a secretary. It took 6 weeks to get in and he did not seem concerned, just ordered more tests. All I have read says a drop of 5 in a month or 10 in a year is very serious.

Can anyone shed light on why they were unconcerned? I do not see the nephrologist again until 12/3.
      The reason the nephrologist is not concerned? Because he/she is not the one who might be needing dialysis and a kidney transplant.. You will/might be though. A drop of that much eGFR is quite serious, your kidneys are having serious problems, time to get a second and 3rd opinion.

Also a lot depends on your creatinine clearance. If it is still below 2 then you might have an acute kidney problem (short term) if the creatinine clearance is above 3 then you probably have Chronic Kidney Disease. The only way to fix End Stage Renal Disease Stage 5 is through dialysis or a kidney transplant. Good luck in the future.
      Last edited by Loganwon; 11-26-2015, 11:32 PM.

Comment

This doctor asked ME what caused the sudden drop. Right then I thought about finding another doctor but the wait is ten weeks. He said he thought it was an acute event, but from all I have read, those are very serious too. I am so mad at my GP right now. The nephrologist practice he recommended had an even longer wait.

You mentioned the creatinine. When the gfr was 45 the creatinine was 2.64. Ten days later the 24 hour urine test showed the gfr drop to 25.

I seem to have some symptoms but, I have recurrent cervical spine stenosis that is causing radicular pain. Some mornings the pain is so bad that I have to lie there until I can stand it to get up to get a pain pill. So the itching that wakes you clawing could be the opioids. The numbness in my hands could be the spine. The loss of appetite and weight could be from the pain.

I was very scared at first, but now it is anger. I have fought high blood pressure all year. In January it was 180+ over 120+, which in some cases is an emergency. Now, it is too low. I almost passed out one night so we checked it, 64/47. The next night I did pass out and hit the floor. The nephrologist was worried about the low blood pressure and cut one of my 3 BP meds.

I can only guess the test results are literally unbelievable. So, we are running the tests again, blood, urinalysis, and ultrasound. So why believe them this time?

Comment

I have found that older nephrologists tend to wait before suggesting people go on dialysis, while the younger nephrologist start people on dialysis sooner.. Doing dialysis gives your kidneys a chance to heal and prolongs any remaining kidney function longer. I wish I had started on dialysis 3 months earlier than I did. Also dialysis is not the end of your life, I still plan on dying at 105 years old, probably with someone else's kidney inside of me, but still dying at an old age!

Also I hate to hear people talk like they will never die, News Flash - we are all going to die someday, it is the quality of your life that matters most not just the quantity. Have a Great Christmas Season and God Bless everyone on this site!

Comment

Death is just a transition to the next phase and I am prepared! In fact, before my two surgeries last year, the pain was so bad I prayed to die regularly.

Still, I do not want to be in pain. Also, if I am going soon I do not want to leave my family with a lot of debt. The treatment for ckd can be quite expensive. It looks like PD is cheaper than HD.

I know they will want me to stick around, but I need the diagnosis to be able to ale plans. I will NOT have another spine surgery if it is ckd!

Comment

I was taking 10 BP pills a day before dialysis, now my blood pressure is on the low side with out any pills. Dialysis will really drop your bp, when your blood is clean your hurt does not have to work nearly as hard. Also I had a lot of pain in general and after starting dialysis most of my pains went away. I think my lactic acid balance was way out of wack because my kidneys had stopped working, now my kidneys work again just not as much as they should, my GFR is back to 25.

I want to keep my residual kidney function high so I do the peritoneal dialysis and together with my kidneys working at 1/4 as much as they should my general health is excellent except for my bad kidneys. Good luck in the future.

Comment

Well, my GFR has risen to 49. The doctor has no reason for why it took a dive or if it will continue to rise, but hopes it will. He is still concerned over my low blood pressure.

We have cut the evening Lisinopril out and restricted my morning one to when my BP is over 120. So far I have not had one in the morning yet. He said we would have to be careful about the metoprolol.

I have been having a lot of light headed episodes lately. I check my BP and it is low each time. At the first of the year it was so high it was in the "dangerous" range.

This getting old stuff is not easy.

Comment

Working...
                X