X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 33 years old with stage 3b CKD

Hi, I posted in the introductions forum but I thought I should elaborate here a bit.

I feel awful. My kidneys hurt, I'm worn out, and I generally feel about 20 years older than I am. My last GFR was 37, with a Creatinine of 1.76, but I just got tested again today and am waiting for the results. I see my nephrologist on Monday, hopefully they'll have some answers for me. Whatever is causing this seems to be progressing very quickly, and I don't know how long I'll have before dialysis is a necessity. My husband is very anxious, my doctors have been talking to me with a pitying tone in their voices, and I'm starting to worry.

I'm new to CKD, in that it wasn't detected until I was fairly far along, but I do have a history of IgAN, though it seemingly cleared up in my late teens. I don't know if this is related to that, or not, but it does give me some insight into what's going on. Still, I have more questions than answers, and I don't know quite what to expect. But I know that even at stage 3b, I shouldn't be feeling this bad, so I'm concerned that since my last test I've degraded even further. I've been hydrating, staying away from too much protein and potassium, and basically doing everything that the doctors have recommended, but I'm still in rough shape.

So, does anyone know anything that might make me feel better? Either physically or at least emotionally.

In my opinion the best thing we can do as soon as possible is work with work with a renal dietitian Develop an eating plan that will possibly help your blood work and lower your GFR. That has been my approach. It is not easy but if your able to develop an RDI based on your blood work you can keep track of what you eat and the amount you eat and try to stay within that amount. I try to regulate my protein, potassium, phosphorus and sodium to be reasonably close to my RDI (Required Daily Intake) I am in a truly great area for health care but I find there is a serious lack of Renal Dietitians If you can find one to help you it is certainly a plus..

Comment

Diet all the way, don't forget the exercise. If you diet properly, some of the pain may go away. Also, try heating pads and light massage. I'm 30 years old in stage 3a. The best thing we can do is stay active and diet properly. Stay away from alcohol at all costs. That is what caused my hypertension that lead to my condition.

Comment

Stay away from salt substitutes , like Mrs dash, etc., don't take anything for pain without asking your Dr, some are very harmful to kidneys. I am only allowed Tylenol, by my nephrologists. Keep track of your lab reports so you can see where you need help and discuss it with your Dr. You can usually get your hard copy from the lab the day after you have blood draws. Ask your Dr what else you can do to improve your health and lesson the symptoms. I was weak and in pain, daily. Was given iron and vit D. What a difference it made! So it could be something minor that has you feeling so bad. I went from gfr of 47 to gfr 22 within a year, so yea that happens sometimes. Just keep in mind that you don't have to get to gfr15 before going on a donor list. When you hit 20gfr ask if you can be put on the list. I have looked into transplant and was offered kidneys but I figured I would accept a cadaver kidney instead. Changed my mind I will choose palliative and hospice instead so the young people can have the kidneys. Just get on that list as soon as possible. Take short walks all day to keep swelling of the feet and legs down. I am lost when it comes to the emotional aspect of it, never suffer from depression or anxiety since I have had chronic pain all my life, so I just keep pushing forward, and adress the problems as they come at me. I really don't have time to think about feelings, I mainly try and work on my symptoms. Enjoy what I can and deal with the rest. Keep seeking for answers.

Comment

Working...
        X