I need help clarifying what I can and cannot eat - Welcome to the myDaVita Kidney Disease and Dialysis Forums

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need help clarifying what I can and cannot eat

Page Title Module
Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need help clarifying what I can and cannot eat

The dietician from my urologist'ss office told me that I should not eat dairy of any kind, nuts, chocolate, winter squash, no whole grains (like quinoa) and a whole raft of other things.She set my calorie intake at 1600 per day, with a limit of 5 oz of protein a day.

I have been looking at the recipes on the DaVita site and many of them do have dairy (like in CHEESE, my favorite food) and I've even seen nuts show up.

On her recommendation, though, I must admit that I have lost 47 pounds in just a few months, but now I am having trouble MAINTAINING my weight and I just don't want to lose any more.

Can someone advise me how to maintain my current weight (113 at 5'3")? What foods can I increase?

Hi there!

The kidney diet can be tricky to navigate. All of the foods you mentioned are pretty high in phosphorus or potassium which are restricted when one is on dialysis.

I've been on dialysis for 9 years and I've found that there's really nothing that is strictly forbidden (meaning you're gonna fall off the wagon if you have a piece of chocolate), but there are foods, like the ones you mentioned, that need to be restricted depending on the severity of your kidney disease.

For instance, if you're on hemodialysis (like myself) you would want to limit your intake of sodium, phosphorus, and potassium. On the other hand you want to increase your intake of protein and calcium to help with recovery and bone density.

Also, there are other variables that can affect your recommended diet like whether or not you have diabetes or hypertension.

Everyone is unique and adjustments to our diets should be made in accordance with our regular lab results and after consulting our dietitians.

I wish I could be of more help, but if there's anything I can do please feel free to reach out.

Comment

Do you have a renal dietitian? They can be very helpful. Usually nephrologists have one on staff and/or can recommend you one. They can help you with your choices of food and give you an eating plan with foods you do like to eat, calories to maintain your wait, etc. I had emailed Davita how I could lower my calories on the food tracker. They have me at 2,000 calories non-dialysis plan, but I don't need anything above 1,500 calories because I have weight to lose. If I hear of something I'll let you know.

Comment

How much potassium in oatmeal.

Comment

Originally posted by alanhanson View Post
          I just checked and it looks like it's about 143mg of potassium per (1) cup of oatmeal, but that number will vary depending on the brand and I believe even the type of oatmeal (for example: rolled, steal cut, or instant/quick oats).

Comment

https://www.nephinc.com/food-lists.html

I just found this link and it has some pretty good information about foods that high, moderate, and low in regards to phosphorus, potassium, and sodium. Hope you find this helpful!

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by alanhanson View Post
              Hi there! Here's a kidney-friendly recipe from DaVita.com that has the nutritional content as well: https://www.davita.com/recipes/break...lus-egg/r/7154. It's best if you talk with your local dietitian to determine if it fits properly with your kidney diet.

Have a great weekend!

Comment

I know the Davita diet is high in calories and what I do to lower it is to not use the substitution menu and do I search for a particular food to arrange the proper calories,mine is about 1600 calories. I do this for 7 days so my menu is planned in advance. I then check the information to see if the amounts of everything I need is correct.

Comment

I am new to all of this and it is very confusing, to say the least! I am trying to navigate through what I can. I am stage 3 cdk and my doctor didn't tell me to follow a diet, but if I wanted to, to watch the phosphorus. In all my research, i have found that 800 to 1000 mg is what i should do. This site has the most to help me follow. I don't have protein in my urine so he said i can just do the low phosphorus, if i wanted. i don't know if i should follow a diet very strictly, but i am trying to follow the best i can, when i am home. we travel a lot so i can just use my judgment. i am pretty food savvy so that helps. i figure i will be better off if i follow something. Plus, I have had lapband. That really helps with the portion control. Any help?

Comment

Originally posted by dkg0316 View Post
                    I am new to all of this and it is very confusing, to say the least! I am trying to navigate through what I can. I am stage 3 cdk and my doctor didn't tell me to follow a diet, but if I wanted to, to watch the phosphorus. In all my research, i have found that 800 to 1000 mg is what i should do. This site has the most to help me follow. I don't have protein in my urine so he said i can just do the low phosphorus, if i wanted. i don't know if i should follow a diet very strictly, but i am trying to follow the best i can, when i am home. we travel a lot so i can just use my judgment. i am pretty food savvy so that helps. i figure i will be better off if i follow something. Plus, I have had lapband. That really helps with the portion control. Any help?
                    Hi dkg0316, thanks for reaching out! Everyone's diet needs vary so it's best to follow the advice of your local care team. You could also meet with a local dietitian to see what they recommend.

Once you have a better handle on the nutritional guidelines you should be following, you could try using the DaVita Diet Helper: http://bit.ly/2hLeEZz. It helps you plan and track kidney-friendly meals that adhere to those daily limits. It also has a Dining Out feature which you may find helpful as you travel!

Comment

Use plant base protein if ur on dialysis let damaging to the body meat kills the kidneys fast plants dont ove gone back vegetarian i feel better than before wwwwholefooddiet

Comment

I'm new to all of this and very confused abt the food I can eat. For 5 yrs I've lived with diabetes and all I hear is no carbs, now I'm hearing eat carbs.
                        I hav stage 3 ckd and i want to stop it. So if any can help please let me know.

Comment

First of all, you can't "stop it". Secondly, being diabetic, you still need to limit your carbs, no matter what. Talk with a dietitian.

Comment

A little over a year ago my husband found out he was in renal failure - he was hospitalized and is now catheterizing himself. His Dr. said his kidneys are functioning at 40% and that he will eventually need to have dialysis. He is 67. We really have receive no information on diet and lately he's been complaining of back pain. I've been attributing it to us moving to a new home, packing, lifting, etc. But I'm beginning to think it's more than that. He drinks alcohol (wine) and seems to be drinking more lately. I told him this morning he needed to stop for a few days to see if his pain improves. He mentioned this morning that sometimes his urine is foamy. Not really sure what to do with this - so I'm glad I found this site ... Do you think I should insist he see his kidney Dr. -- I think he has an appt. in a few months. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Cindrelly View Post
                              I'm new to all of this and very confused abt the food I can eat. For 5 yrs I've lived with diabetes and all I hear is no carbs, now I'm hearing eat carbs.
                              I hav stage 3 ckd and i want to stop it. So if any can help please let me know.
                              Hi Cindrelly, welcome to myDaVita! Adjusting to a kidney-friendly diet can definitely be overwhelming and confusing, you're not alone! Have you had a chance to meet with a local renal dietitian? They'd be a great resource to discuss your specific diet questions as everyone's needs are different.

Comment

Working...
                              X