Scared and new to all of this - Welcome to the myDaVita Kidney Disease and Dialysis Forums

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scared and new to all of this

Page Title Module
Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scared and new to all of this

Anyone wanna Introduced themselves and share?
    Last edited by Rachelgrazioli; 09-19-2016, 02:29 AM.

I just read that the MRDR scale can only be used for acute renal failure and NOT stable chronic kidney disease. So I would assume that since you are in stage 2 you do not use the MRDR scale. What you can and can't eat depends on your blood work. There are kidney friendly foods and not so friendly foods. In stage 2 you usually are not limited. But here are a few things. Cut out all added salt. No bananas,tomatoes,potatoes and no dark soda. Here on the Davita site there are lists of kidney friendly foods you can eat. If you have any more questions feel free to message me. If you start eating right now you may never progress to stage 5. If you don't exercise start now. If you smoke or drink STOP. Anything you can do to be healthier now is the time. Take Care.

Comment

I am reaching out to first post I saw. I' m a 37 yr old male from sf. From my short story you can see I am new to this. I came home 2 days ago. I been all over the Internet. While finding $600 discounts by learning I can possibly use Tums, I found this resourceful page. I'm sacred to eat too and I like to pig out. Just venting and saying hello.

Comment

nojustj- thanks for replying. Can you explain the tums thing?
        Last edited by Rachelgrazioli; 09-19-2016, 02:31 AM.

Comment

I am at stage 2 and will get some blood work done in the next 3 weeks in a clinic,they help more then my Dr. My potassium is very high and Iron is low at my last visit. I lowered the amount of potassium in my diet and added Iron pills to it. I also had to add extra salt to raise my blood pressure. It is 75/55.I use the Davita diet without their menu plan and substitutions. I go to their recipe sites to get the correct amount of calories 1500, and plan my menu for 4-5 days at a time.

Comment

Hi, rachelgrazioli! My name is Mary (poozy1238), I am almost 78, and I was diagnosed about 9 years ago when my doc discovered my right kidney had shriveled up and flown the coop and my left kidney function was slightly impaired. My GFR was 33. I immediately put myself on the renal diet, even though the nephrologist had not suggested that, and I believe that had a lot to do with the fact that my GFR stayed stable until about a year ago, when it dropped to 29. I use davita.com's awesome recipes and made myself my own cookbook with them. On the days I feel good, I cook a pot of soup/stew/roast, etc., in my slow cooker or stock pot, always enough for at least 4 meals, so I don't have to fix something from scratch every day. This has been a tremendous help. Although I also have a couple other medical problems, I try to live as normal a life as possible. The fatigue and lack of stamina, combined with frequent severe stomach problems, makes that difficult, but I strongly believe that we who struggle with CKD must keep positive attitudes and live our lives to the fullest possible extent we can. My #1 suggestion, however, is that, if you do not have a strong relationship with God, you develop one now! I personally could not get through this without the Lord. In Him I have strength and hope and joy. I pray you will get to know Him if you do not yet. Blessings on you; I wish you the very best!

Comment

My doctor started me on Veltassa to help lower my potassium. Don't know if this will work for you in helping you reduce your levels, but you might want to ask. It is a new drug that has been approved for potassium reduction.

Comment

Hello I have been here a little while. My story is I took lithium for 20 years for bi-polar. Damaged my kidneys (chronically) Screwed up my parathyroid. My gfr has stayed in the 55 - 60 range for a long time. They classify me as stage 3B. I do watch what I eat, but admit I am not strict as I should be. I have micro cysts on kidneys, protein and blood in urine. I have flank pain. My weight has gone up and down over the years. Right now it's on the up side and my Dr is telling me to watch my diet and lose weight, so I have been here more often using the diet helper. I smoked for 27 years I quit in 2013 for my kidneys and I use to drink allot. I quit that to. My labs have been really wacked a time or two. When i say wacked I mean all kinds of abnormal stuff.

The tums trick lowers phosphorus, It works like a binder. Salt is not my friend lol I have crazy high blood pressure and I am on 3 medications to keep it under control. Getting God can do wonders and thank goodness I have my religion in my life. Most of my meds that I take are reduced, lower than therapeutic because of my kidneys. They help with my bipolar but they don't help allot. Potassium has been so high it's given me heart trouble. One time I kept having muscle spasms and was eating bananas everyday. Just about killed me. ( this was awhile back before i was so educated about my kidneys) Since that little incident I have smarted up about things lol but of course don't know everything so if you have any advice for me, I'll be pleased to learn it.

shysha
                Last edited by shysha; 01-29-2017, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Does itching go with this disease. I really know nothing about this and may have something else causing my itch. If anyone can help me please post. All info and help appreciated.

Comment

Check your lab report...if you are high in phosphorus it will cause itching big time. You must learn what your body will tolerate. (Its a full time job)

Comment

Going to Nephrologist next week. GFR is 35, need to loose 50 lbs. I have had a few kidney stones. Need to learn everything I can.

Comment

Hi I'm 48 year old female stage 4. I just wanted to say hello. Also I want to confirm diet has a huge part in helping your kidneys. If you get serious you can raise your GFR. I started at 15. At one point I was able to raise that to 40! I've since slid back down and boy can I feel it!! If you do a strict diet and continue on it you may never see the other stages. Drink lots of water. Stay away from dark vegetables , cut out soda, excess sugar, over the counter and some meds if you can do it safely. Then your GFR is likely to rise or be stable and not drop. You wouldn't believe how much diet can effect your kidneys. Best wishes.

Comment

Hi! Here to help....

I am 67 years old and had CKD all my life but last year had ca of the right kidney and it totally had to be removed. I was told to get my fistula 3 months before surgery since they were certain I would need dialysis within days. That was a year ago...I have. Been cancer free for a year and am on the transplant list. I am going for my repeat MRI and Ct scan and if ok I will get a transplant next week. My GFR has been 10-12 all year and I have remained OFF dialysis all this time. The Docs are all shocked, thought I would never last this long..any GFR 14 or below is considered end stage renal failure. I am a retired RN and I researched for hours. I use the Divita diet planner however I use this as my daily goals: sodium 1500, potassium 1000, phosphorus 1000, and most important protein below 60gms . Portions and wieghts are the key to this but this is working for me..it takes a lot to stick to it but eventually you learn what not to eat ..do lots of reading on the disease. Kidney buzz.com is a great resource...if your GFR is 14 or less get on the transplant list, I am hoping that I will have positive results this week and will be able to get mine. It is better to get a transplant when you have not got dialysis..good luck..high potassium very dangerous... since I stuck to this diet I am off all my meds except vit D and thyroid med..my blood presssure came way down so no bp meds and I lost weight too...it's hard but the alternative is worst...think about it..

Comment

Hi how are you coping

Comment

My gift is35 now but has dropped10 points in the last year. I'm 63 so I find it intimidating. Good luck with the transplant I will keep you in my prayers.

Comment

Working...
                              X