X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the forum

I'm a 78 year old female living in Orcutt Ca. I'm in stage 4 and have been on dialysis since Feb 2018. 3 days per week for 3 hours each day. I enjoy reading everyone's stories on the forum. It helps!

Here are the final three stages of CKD:

Stage 3 is characterized by moderate kidney damage with GFR between 30 and 60 ml/min/1.73 square meters. If the damage is halted at this stage, the patient will need to be monitored for possible complications such as cardiovascular disease; however, it’s unlikely that renal replacement therapy will be required.

Stage 4 shows severe renal function reduction, GFR between 15 and 30 ml/min/1.73 square meters. Renal replacement therapy is likely to be necessary.

In CKD stage 5, GFR drops below 15 ml/min/1.73 square meters and the kidneys are effectively nonfunctional. Renal replacement therapy is absolutely necessary; the patient will almost certainly die without it.

As noted above, dialysis/renal replacement therapy becomes necessary in Stage 5 CKD. It is likely to become necessary when a patient reaches Stage 4.

I did not commence HHD training and with it hemodialysis, until my GFR was 9, Stage 5. Even then, I had no physical symptoms of kidney failure, was producing adequate volumes of urine, and could very well have delayed the start of hemodialysis for up to 3 - 4 months.

I had committed to begin HHD training some 3 months prior. I was far better off starting hemodialysis sooner than later when symptoms may have reached the point where dialysis was necessary and an HHD training position may not have been available.

Comment

Working...
    X