X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blood Pressure Meds?

I recently (February of this year) was diagnosed with CKD level 4. my GFR at the moment is around 28/29, which I know is border line. One of the things this did, was to get me serious about losing my weight. Which I have been doing, 70 of the total 80 I want to lose is already gone. I am currently not on any Blood Pressure meds, and would really like to keep it that way. I know that both my GP and Nephrologist will recommend that I go onto the BP meds to "Save my kidneys" from further damage. But, and I may be cynical here, I believe it was the 10 years of BP meds that caused this issue. Since I am in my 50's, and have been on BP meds for 10 years. I have neve been a smoker or a drinker. So the only two "catchall's" for what caused the CKD in me are 1) genetics or 2) the BP medication. My question is, do I NEED to be on BP meds if I am controlling it through exercise? I know I may not be able to keep up the pace, but in the short term, would like to.

I recently went to the Nephrologist for the first time and he immediately took me off lisinopril and metformin. He believes those meds were responsible for my gfr going down 10 pts in six months. I've only been off them for 3 days now and already feel much better. My BP reading when I went to him was 106 over 56 and I was getting dizzy everytime I bent over. My blood sugar is a little lower than normal now. I also lost 63lbs. He is very hopeful my grf will go up now. He did put me on a low dose of a different kind of blood pressure med. I am getting labs and a ultrasound next week so praying for better results. Keep me updated about your condition, My gfr at last ck was 27.

Comment

mograndmother, lisinopril gave me problems also plus a real bad cough. i was also taken off metformin since my nephrologist said that was the cause for my declining egfr and i was put on insulin. egfr is down to 19 from 49 a year ago.

Comment

I have been fighting high blood pressure as long as I can remember, and it is my nephrologist who picked out the right combination of pills I have to take to get it down from 190's/90's to a more reasonable 130's/70's. On occasion I will have a 96/47 day and then I feel awful too. I am in stage 4 and only have one kidney. My gfr last month was 24 and has been that way for over a year. Mograndmother there is different doses of each medication, so maybe you could tolerate a lower dose if he put you on meds? It's something to think about. I congratulate you on your weight loss! That's something to be proud of. Good luck to you.

Comment

anyone that develops a cough with lisinopril should tell their md asap and have md change med.

Comment

Originally posted by Henryago View Post
            anyone that develops a cough with lisinopril should tell their md asap and have md change med.
            A dry cough is the #1 side effect of not only Lisinoril, but of all ACE inhibitors.

Comment

NSAIDS and Metformin = Death Sentence.

Comment

Working...
              X