Kidney diet for diabetics - Welcome to the myDaVita Kidney Disease and Dialysis Forums

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kidney diet for diabetics

Page Title Module
Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what is your GFR? what have you changed to get better numbers?pam

Comment

angel, i too have diabetes and stage 3 CKD. I gave up bread,pasta,rice chips,chocolate. it is not easy. hang in there and let me know how you are doing

Comment

I am type 2 and have been controlling my diabetes with diet & exercise. As a type 2 (or type 1) we are basically allergic to carbs and I gave them up about eleven years ago. My carb intake per day is 30g or less and keeping my b.g. controlled has benefited my stage 3 CKD, my gfr goes from 55 to >60 and creatinine is .83 at present. I agree it isn't a perfect world trying to eat for both ailments, but keeping my diabetes controlled just seems to aid the CKD. Following a lot of the tips on this forum (re potassium and phosphorous, among others) has been helpful also.

I'm still trying to perfect the protein intake, which is a bit of a challenge when on a low carb moderate fat program. I find the low carb websites to be a large help when looking for recipes.
        Last edited by waterwoman; 07-24-2014, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by student62 View Post
          This is not so much a reply, as it is a question. What happens when you eat too many carbs, does your GFR go lower, and does it stay there? Just in the last 3 months we have been following my renal labs closely as my creatinine had spiked at 2.3. It is now down to 1.7 and seems to be holding steady, but I worry that with my diabetes not being well controlled, that it may start climbing again.
          I've had the same problem with trying to determine what an appropriate diet would be for a dialysis patient. Generally, I default to whatever the dietitians in the clinic recommend, but have also found that http://www.dialysistechniciansalary.org/ provides some useful information on the topic. Many of the larger national dialysis organization also have accounts on pinterest where they include information about recipes that are acceptable for dialysis patients. I agree that it can be very difficult to determine what to eat when lab values fluctuate.

Comment

I am working with a dietician who is helping me a great deal. I use the davita diet helper under tools. There are recipes and meal plans, if you know your potassium, phosphate, carb, pro, sodium, and calorie restrictions. There are also recipes on Kidney.org. I hope these help all of you as they have helped me.

Comment

Originally posted by neilrogovin View Post
              angel, i too have diabetes and stage 3 CKD. I gave up bread,pasta,rice chips,chocolate. it is not easy. hang in there and let me know how you are doing

Limiting the foods you like when in CKD is the saddest part but it's worth it in the end. Good renal diet can help in to fast track kidney health!

Comment

I'm in the same boat as so many others. I have diabetes and kidney failure. I've been reading and reading and reading everything I can find online as well as seeing nutritionists, dieticians, doctors and it is really confusing. To me, it is confusing because there seems to be so many conflicting 'lists' of what a person like me can, and can't eat. I finally realized that the cause of the confusion is the fact that we are each different. There is no "ok for everyone' type of diet like I was used to doing when trying to lose weight (Weight Watchers, Atkins, etc. etc. where they give everyone the same plan). Our numbers are different, our stages are different....so diet becomes a very individualized thing. Recipes that are ok for me might not be ok for you. My diet won't be exactly like someone else's diet.

But there are some foods that seem to be ok for almost everyone and I've been trying to focus on those for my own meal planning. Davita has an article that has some general information.
                http://www.davita.com/kidney-disease...disease/e/5328

As I learned about my own lab results/numbers and started to focus on them and what they will allow in my diet, I begin to gather recipes that will be ok for me. But everyone also needs to continue to have lab work done periodically because numbers will change.

I've tried to be very, very basic in my recipe search and there are some here on Davita under the "The Kidney diet > Recipe Exchange" forum that perhaps others can use. I have additional health issues that make doing things difficult at times so the recipes I gather are as simple, easy, quick, and fast as I can find. 'Cooking' a full course meal is just too difficult many times for me.

Comment

Originally posted by ewintr44 View Post
                  I'm in the same boat as so many others. I have diabetes and kidney failure. I've been reading and reading and reading everything I can find online as well as seeing nutritionists, dieticians, doctors and it is really confusing. To me, it is confusing because there seems to be so many conflicting 'lists' of what a person like me can, and can't eat. I finally realized that the cause of the confusion is the fact that we are each different. There is no "ok for everyone' type of diet like I was used to doing when trying to lose weight (Weight Watchers, Atkins, etc. etc. where they give everyone the same plan). Our numbers are different, our stages are different....so diet becomes a very individualized thing. Recipes that are ok for me might not be ok for you. My diet won't be exactly like someone else's diet.

But there are some foods that seem to be ok for almost everyone and I've been trying to focus on those for my own meal planning. Davita has an article that has some general information.
                  http://www.davita.com/kidney-disease...disease/e/5328

As I learned about my own lab results/numbers and started to focus on them and what they will allow in my diet, I begin to gather recipes that will be ok for me. But everyone also needs to continue to have lab work done periodically because numbers will change.

I've tried to be very, very basic in my recipe search and there are some here on Davita under the "The Kidney diet > Recipe Exchange" forum that perhaps others can use. I have additional health issues that make doing things difficult at times so the recipes I gather are as simple, easy, quick, and fast as I can find. 'Cooking' a full course meal is just too difficult many times for me.

Have you tried to go over this site http://goo.gl/Ep8fD8 ? It's a good one for people searching for a kidney diet tips.

Comment

You can find information in this article http://www.davita.com/kidney-disease...disease/e/5328
                    Quality Urgent Care San Antonio

Comment

I agree. Having both problems at the same time. They do contradict one another. I'm struggling with the same thing. I know this is an old post. I would a book to read and follow that could Me understand how to prepare the food. Help please.Where do you find out more information. Thank you very much.

Comment

Originally posted by HAMPTON263 View Post
                        I agree. Having both problems at the same time. They do contradict one another. I'm struggling with the same thing. I know this is an old post. I would a book to read and follow that could Me understand how to prepare the food. Help please.Where do you find out more information. Thank you very much.
                        Hi HAMPTON263, thank you for reaching out. DaVita.com has a ton of helpful kidney-diet recipes and articles. Here's a good place to start: https://www.davita.com/recipes/. Hope this helps, thank you!

Comment

Hi - My name is Holly, aka diabetic bunny, and I've recently joined DaVita. I have both type 2 diabetes and stage 3b CKD. I've had diabetes for over 22 years and the kidney problems were brought to my attention last year. I totally agree with everyone who's confused about what to eat and not eat. Having high potassium is not helping either. I feel like if I restrict myself to everything I'm suppose to - I'd be eating air. I have an appointment with a dietitian next week, but since she works at an Endocrinologist office, I'm hoping she knows about kidney disease and high potassium. (pretty sure she will) I'm excited to be in this forum. I have questions and a lot of people don't have the answers to the multiple issues.

Comment

I am in the same boat. I have been feeling terrible since giving up my dietary staples of dairy, whole grains and super greens! My sugars were so good, but now it is a crap shoot as to what the numbers will be from day to day. This site is the best I have found, and I am going to follow the exact diet for a week to see what happens.....
                            Last edited by Im50biteme; 04-22-2016, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Im50biteme View Post
                              I am in the same boat. I have been feeling terrible since giving up my dietary staples of dairy, whole grains and super greens! My sugars were so good, but now it is a crap shoot as to what the numbers will be from day to day. This site is the best I have found, and I am going to follow the exact diet for a week to see what happens.....
                              Hi there, welcome to myDaVita! Have you tried using the DaVita Diet Helper yet? It helps you plan and track kidney-friendly meals based on your personal nutritional goals and targets. Give it a try here: https://www.davita.com/mydavita/diet-helper. Please feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions!

Comment

Originally posted by Ribbit57 View Post
                                can you tell me the book you are reading? I have both Type 2 Diabetes and stage four kidney disease. I am trying to understand how to eat well for both diseases. I am finding it difficult because the two diets contradict each other. For example, you are told to eat whole grains for diabetes and white bread and white rice for the kidney diet. Thanks!
                                Hello. I'm in the very same boat. I find myself being very nauseated, frustrated, and feeling sick all the time. The renal dietitian would only say what could be good, and just use moderation. I have Stage 3, and Type 2 Diabetes. One thing says eat white rice, and the other says brown. It's like whatever helps Diabetes, kills the kidneys, and visa versa. Am I just doomed to either go on dialysis, or just starve to death. This has been SO DISCOURAGING.... I'm trying hard not to hate my heritage... I walk around the grocery store not knowing WHAT to get. Everything I see, I remember that I can't have it for one of the diseases. Sounds like a death sentence..... just being honest about my feelings.

I need to know WHAT I CAN eat, and HOW MUCH OF IT...... Three dietitians have taken the money, and NOT given me ANYTHING conclusive.

Comment

Working...
                                X