Kidney diet with diabetes and gout - Welcome to the myDaVita Kidney Disease and Dialysis Forums

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kidney diet with diabetes and gout

Page Title Module
Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kidney diet with diabetes and gout

I am just getting started on Kidney diet concerns. I have had hypertension since high school and diabetes since age 50. Recently diagnosed with gout. Putting all the dietary guidelines and restrictions together does not help my diminishing appetite. Age 70 and overweight. Any suggestions.

Hi smoser47, have you tried the DaVita Diet Helper? It may help you better keep track of your dietary restrictions and plan kidney-friendly meals that meet your nutritional goals: http://bit.ly/2ae6Vi2. Let me know if you have any questions on how to use it!

Comment

My partner was diagnosed with 3rd stage renal failure about 3 years ago. He's diabetic, had open heart surgery, but we have managed to keep his numbers up and no talk of dialysis so far. His gout has recently become worse and worse, is this a normal part of kidney failure or is this aside from that. I find it hard to figure out diet with all the complications. Anyone else have similar issues that can share secrets?

Comment

Originally posted by pjrichard View Post
        My partner was diagnosed with 3rd stage renal failure about 3 years ago. He's diabetic, had open heart surgery, but we have managed to keep his numbers up and no talk of dialysis so far. His gout has recently become worse and worse, is this a normal part of kidney failure or is this aside from that. I find it hard to figure out diet with all the complications. Anyone else have similar issues that can share secrets?
        Hi pjrichard, thank you for reaching out. Have you tried using the DaVita Diet Helper yet: http://bit.ly/2hLeEZz? It helps plan and track kidney-friendly meals that would adhere to your partner's nutritional goals. There is also an option to only plan meals that are both diabetes-and kidney-friendly. Let us know if you have any further questions but I hope that helps!

Comment

I use to have gout all the time. The Dr. Had me on vit.E. did my research and found out most vit e are made from fish. Stopped the vit. e ,quit eating fish and started on allpurinol. No more gout

Comment

Hi,

I am very late to this discussion, but it applies to me as well. Type 1 diabetes for nearly 50 years, about stage 3 CKD, and now have to deal with both too high potassium as well as gout. I am on Uloric, as I could not tolerate allopurinol. I still have bouts of gout, which I hope is just the uric acid levels fluctuating DOWNwards - we'll see!

You did not say if you were any meds for your gout - ?

Also, I am trying to do SOME exercise, anything, just to keep my joints in general from stiffening up. Even if it's not a full workout at the gym, (and it never is,) at LEAST a walk with the dogs, for example.

I can't help with appetite, other than to say that when I followed the diet advice for kidneys/gout/etc. more carefully, the numbers shoed that my kidney function did improve. And I noticed my appetite lately is more ravenous than it has been for a while - ! But I too don't need that, need to LOSE weight!! 😏

Comment

I am worried because my parathyroid hormone is high as well as creatine levels I am stage 4 anyone have this problem?

Comment

Working...
              X