Meal plan has eggs almost every breakfast - Welcome to the myDaVita Kidney Disease and Dialysis Forums

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meal plan has eggs almost every breakfast

Page Title Module
Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meal plan has eggs almost every breakfast

My Davita eating plan has eggs at breakfast almost every morning? I don't normally eat protein at breakfast except that found in milk. Why is it so important to have protein at breakfast? I know eggs are a real good way to get protein. Just asking?

Hi there!

I know the diet plan can seem kind of restrictive, especially when it's suggesting to eat the same thing everyday.

However, you can pick and choose what you'd like to eat as long as your indgesting the right amount of nutrients.

Things like protein and calcium will help with recovery, strength, and bone density, but we have to be careful to limit other nutrients such as phosphorus and potassium. Since our bodies no longer expell excess through the process of urination, over consumption of foods high in phosphorus and/or potassium could have a negative affect on our bones and heart.

Below is a link all about protien and it's relationship to Kidney failure patients. I hope this helps!

https://www.davita.com/kidney-diseas...disease/e/5302

Comment

Thank you! I have never been one to eat a protein at breakfast. Years ago my urologist had told me I was spilling protein in my urine and to just subtract one of my protein choices per day. So at breakfast I usually used milk for my protein source and never had eggs, or meat; if I had cheese I would not have milk. I'm not much of a egg eater, but I know it is one of the best protein foods you can have. I am going to try some of the egg recipes with added peppers and such and see if it is more palatable to me.

Comment

I am an egg beaters fan since the chlororestrol has been removed from the yolk. I can always embellish my morning scrambled eggs with whatever is lurking in the fridge as a leftover; if not, then there is whey protein that can be stirred in. And, of course, there is the universal spice called catsup. This type of diet is really ironic --- on the lead up through stages 2, 3, and 5, you are told all about excessive protein in your urine and now that you are on dialysis, we're supposed to maximize our protein intake.

Comment

Originally posted by corgimom View Post
          Thank you! I have never been one to eat a protein at breakfast. Years ago my urologist had told me I was spilling protein in my urine and to just subtract one of my protein choices per day. So at breakfast I usually used milk for my protein source and never had eggs, or meat; if I had cheese I would not have milk. I'm not much of a egg eater, but I know it is one of the best protein foods you can have. I am going to try some of the egg recipes with added peppers and such and see if it is more palatable to me.
          You're welcome!

I remember the days when the doctor's were telling me to limit my protien intake, too. Then, once I reached end stage, everything changed and I had to ramp up my protein intake.

You can definitely use whey protein powder in a shake if that makes things easier for you. My dietitian recommended EAS brand because it's lower in phosphorus and potassium compared to some other brands. There is also already prepared meal replacement shakes if you're in a rush called, Nepro.

These are designed specifically to provide all the nutrition a dialysis patients needs in a single meal. However, Nepro can be pricey and the taste isn't for everyone, but it's an option haha.

Be well, friend!
          Last edited by PMendez86; 01-18-2017, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Yes I have been told my protein is spilling over in to my urine, but then my dr. had me do another blood test and this one didn't show any protein spilling. so my daughter asked him can she have protein every day, like a hamburger every day and he said yes. So there are so many conflicting statements that I am afraid to eat almost anything. I am down to 99.5 this morning. I just keep dropping weight. I feel just lost. I am suppose to fly to Seattle on this coming Wed. sept 20, where my daughter is a wonderful cook, but I don't think she will know what to fix except she does a lot of grilled veggies and everything she fixes is good. If I can only get up the energy to go.

Comment

Working...
            X