Aeronesp vs. Epogen - Welcome to the myDaVita Kidney Disease and Dialysis Forums

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aeronesp vs. Epogen

Page Title Module
Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aeronesp vs. Epogen

Recently my Davita center announced the corporation had entered into a deal of some kind that resulted in giving us Aeronesp instead of Epogen in the machines for those who need help keeping their hemoglobin at normal level. I had been getting epogen for almost 4 years with very little problem. My hgb remain steady between 11-12. However, within 2 weeks of the switch to aeronesp my hgb has been steadily dropping. The first drop was from 11.2 to 9.6. Then to 8.1. Then 7.9 and now 7.5. I have had extensive conversations with the clinical director and lead nurse that my concern is that the switch has caused this to happen. I've been told emphatically that this cannot be and that aeronesp is supposed to be much better (and coincidentally cheaper) than epogen and that no one else has had this problem. However, I was told "off the record" that 2 other patients have had the same thing happen after the switch. They've done other tests to rule out internal bleeding and other potential reasons for the continuing drop in my hgb but have come up empty. I am currently doing IVIG to help lower the antibodies in my blood in order to have a successful transplant, but if my hgb continues to drop I will need a blood transfusion which will only introduce more antibodies into my blood and negate months of IVIG desensitization treatment. Not only that, but I'm currently active status on the transplant list, but if I should get "the call" now with my level so low, they will not do a transplant. My hgb has to be at least 10 to have surgery. All of this and I haven't even mentioned how awful I feel every single day due to such a low hgb. I am weak, severely fatigued, short of breath, lightheaded, have a constant nagging headache and just overall feel sick every single day. I feel the center is doing very little in trying to find out what the issue is so I can get back on my feet. I feel the answer is staring them in the face and that is I need to go back on epogen, but they won't even entertain the thought and continue to look for other reasons. I mean it's just too coincidental as far as timing to NOT consider that the switch has something to do with this. I honestly feel like the money is speaking louder than me and my health problems. Has anybody else had an issue with going from epogen to aeronesp?

I have been getting Epo for about a year. Your dr is the one who can change to Epo. They are using the other to max. Profits
    Gary

Comment

I'm currently active status on the transplant list, but if I should get "the call" now with my level so low, they will not do a transplant. My hgb has to be at least 10 to have surgery. All of this and I haven't even mentioned how awful I feel every single day due to such a low hgb. I am weak, severely fatigued, short of breath, lightheaded, have a constant nagging headache and just overall feel sick every single day. I feel the center is doing very little in trying to find out what the issue is so I can get back on my feet. I feel the answer is staring them in the face and that is I need to go back on epogen, but they won't even entertain the thought and continue to look for other reasons http://printablecalendartemplates.co...dar-templates/
      http://printablecalendartemplates.co...dar-templates/

Comment

Working...
      X