X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leg Cramps

I'm wondering if anyone out there suffers from leg/foot cramps. I am stage 3/4 and not currently on dialysis. This happens to me just about every night (sometimes during the day) and the pain is excruciating to the point of tears. I've tried just about everything for this. My nephrologist advised me to drink 4 oz of tonic water before bed which worked for awhile, then stopped. I also drink Gatorade or G2 during the day to try to battle this but am still having issues. Any help would be appreciated from anyone who has experienced this. Thanks!
    Type 1 Diabetes-1982 (currently on insulin pump therapy)
    Acute Renal Failure due to experimental drug(Aminoguanidine)-1996
    CKD Stage 4

"In the middle of difficulty, lies opportunity." Albert Einstein
    We must go through the storm to appreciate the sunshine!

Last night was probably my first night realizing the pain in my knee and also traveling down my leg, could be illness related. I miraculously found a position while laying in bed that alleviated the majority of pain. Dont know how or why, and dont care. I almost got up to take some Tylenol but figured if I start now, it will never end. Better to be tolerant perhaps? I wonder why Tonic water was advised to you?

Comment

Hi sugarless18 and n2wind2000, welcome to myDaVita! My name is Kelsey, I'm the community manager here . I found some information on cramps, particularly leg cramps, on the DaVita website: https://www.davita.com/kidney-diseas...disease/e/4663. Cramps are common for those with kidney disease. As always, it's best to speak with your local doctor or dietitian for your specific concerns and questions but I hope this article can provide a bit of help for you both!

Please feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions regarding the tools or resources offered here! I hope you both have a great day. Thank you!

Comment

n2wind2000 and KelseyAtDavita--thanks so much for your responses. N2wind2000--tonic water has quinine in it which is helpful in treating leg cramps. KelseyAtDavita--thatnks for the information on leg cramps. Pretty much what I've been doing to try to remedy these things to no avail though. Appreciate the feedback guys!
        Type 1 Diabetes-1982 (currently on insulin pump therapy)
        Acute Renal Failure due to experimental drug(Aminoguanidine)-1996
        CKD Stage 4

"In the middle of difficulty, lies opportunity." Albert Einstein
        We must go through the storm to appreciate the sunshine!

Comment

Originally posted by sugarless18 View Post
          n2wind2000 and KelseyAtDavita--thanks so much for your responses. N2wind2000--tonic water has quinine in it which is helpful in treating leg cramps. KelseyAtDavita--thatnks for the information on leg cramps. Pretty much what I've been doing to try to remedy these things to no avail though. Appreciate the feedback guys!
          You're welcome! Always remember the myDaVita community is here for you!

Comment

Hi Sugarless18. I'm new on this site and have stage 5 CKD not yet on dialysis. I have had feet cramps for several years and I take homeopathic magnesium phosphate pilules which does seem to help.My blood tests show my magnesium count is on the low side of normal. Also tell your doctor if you try this method.

Comment

Originally posted by sugarless18 View Post
              I'm wondering if anyone out there suffers from leg/foot cramps. I am stage 3/4 and not currently on dialysis. This happens to me just about every night (sometimes during the day) and the pain is excruciating to the point of tears. I've tried just about everything for this. My nephrologist advised me to drink 4 oz of tonic water before bed which worked for awhile, then stopped. I also drink Gatorade or G2 during the day to try to battle this but am still having issues. Any help would be appreciated from anyone who has experienced this. Thanks!

I have bad leg cramps, foot cramps, inner thigh cramps, you name it! If it's below the waist, it's cramped up before! lol Seriously, I've asked my doctor and he, too, tells me to drink lots of water which I certainly do (like 100 oz per day), but what I found that really works for me is...potassium!!

Potassium vitamin supplement or get a script from you doctor! Take it at night and it will help your cramps!! Plz let me know how this works out for you.

Comment

Hi sugarless18, I have the same problem withe leg crampsbut I was told I should not take Potasium suppliments with kidney problems.
                I did however do an herbal cleanse that made a huge difference.I hade no kidney pain no leg pain and no cramps anymore!! The cleance is called
                Renaltrex made by Global Healing Center. You should try it is amazing!!

Comment

What has worked for me is 500 mg of Magnesium daily in pill form. The results are amazing! I will ocassionally get leg cramps but no where near as severe in intensity or as often as I used to. I was getting leg cramps on an almost daily basis and now I can't even count the number of times on one hand in the last few months. I was just telling my nephrologist about it today and she said that she recommends it but people never really tell her about it. She was very happy to hear my results.
                  Darlene
                  Pre-dialysis, polycistic kidneys, stage 3

Comment

Yellow Mustard helps. I keep a bottle in my bag so I have it during dialysis.

Comment

my phosphorous blood levels are high like 5.2 . i take low phosphorous diet ; also take renvela 3 tabs with each meal,. Renvela is phospphorous binder . please help me , if anyone has some suggestions

Comment

Originally posted by LKAM View Post
                        my phosphorous blood levels are high like 5.2 . i take low phosphorous diet ; also take renvela 3 tabs with each meal,. Renvela is phospphorous binder . please help me , if anyone has some suggestions
                        Hi LKAM, have you spoken to your local dietitian? They'll be able to address your specific diet as everyone's needs are different. Have a great day!

Comment

I'm new here but I've had kidney disease since I was 11 years old (when the doctors first diagnosed me with IgA neuropathy.) I just had a second kidney biopsy a couple weeks ago and didn't get any great news. So I'm making major lifestyle changes (exercising, low sodium/phosphorus diet, removing harmful foods from my diet, etc..) I read somewhere that I need to limit my fluid intake as to not let my kidneys work too much. I drink all kinds of stuff since water bores me but I need to know about how much fluid http://unitedstatesmapz.com/free-uni...f-america-map/
                          http://unitedstatesmapz.com/printabl...p-with-states/

Comment

Pickle juice worked for me until I had to go on a low salt diet.

Comment

I would like to try this Renal Tree, but so far, my P.A. Dr. has not even suggested I see a Nephrologist. He told me to eat anything. And even though the first test showed protein in my urine, the second one didn't so he says eat a hamburger every day if I want. BUT I ate a Reuben sandwich and ended up with bubbles in my urine. Also people talk about losing weight trying this RenalTrex and I would try it but I am losing weight every day, down now to 99.5 lbs. I went to a Kidney smart Class and was told someone would call me, someone like a Dietician. NO ONE has called me from there. Sometimes I feel like people figure hey you are 91, you're going to die soon anyway, why waste our time.

Comment

Working...
                              X