Extremely frustrated with my insurance company - Welcome to the myDaVita Kidney Disease and Dialysis Forums

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Extremely frustrated with my insurance company

Page Title Module
Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extremely frustrated with my insurance company

Yesterday I spent almost two hours online on my insurance company's website trying to find out how much, if any, of dialysis they would pay. I went to every site and even did a couple of "chats" with people who referred me to a site that had absolutely NOTHING to do with kidney dialysis. I'm ready to pull out what little hair I have because I don't want to know at the last minute that they won't pay anything. No where on the website does it even mention kidney dialysis, so I'm assuming they aren't going to pay anything. I live on Social Security, so how am I going to manage paying for dialysis? Just venting and I thank you for listening!

I forgot to mention that most of the time I was given a phone number to call. However, 5 years ago I had a layrngectomy so there is no chance I can make a phone call. I told them all that and they gave me yet another site to check that had nothing to do with dialysis.

Comment

Originally posted by cpi3per1 View Post
      Yesterday I spent almost two hours online on my insurance company's website trying to find out how much, if any, of dialysis they would pay. I went to every site and even did a couple of "chats" with people who referred me to a site that had absolutely NOTHING to do with kidney dialysis. I'm ready to pull out what little hair I have because I don't want to know at the last minute that they won't pay anything. No where on the website does it even mention kidney dialysis, so I'm assuming they aren't going to pay anything. I live on Social Security, so how am I going to manage paying for dialysis? Just venting and I thank you for listening!
      I am so sorry that the insurance company’s website and chat reps are unable to answer your questions. Sometimes reps are reluctant to give a definitive answer for fear giving information for a benefit not clearly defined.

If the dialysis benefit is not clearly stated but is covered, it MAY fall under outpatient services benefit for hemodialysis done in the center and home health benefit if done at home. Both types of dialysis would usually require precertification.

The insurance coordinator will be able to help you.
      Last edited by Georgia124; 10-20-2017, 04:56 PM. Reason: Edited to delete extraneous comments not needed due to subsequent information

Comment

At nearly every dialysis center, there is an insurance coordinator; this person can get the info you need.

Comment

Originally posted by dac0214 View Post
          At nearly every dialysis center, there is an insurance coordinator; this person can get the info you need.
          That is wonderful news!

I misread the statement on the "Paying for Dialysis" page ["DaVita social work and insurance counseling services are only offered to patients treating at DaVita dialysis facilities."]

I erroneously thought they did not get involved until dialysis begins.

Comment

Thank you all for your helpful comments. I just wanted to know ahead of time if I was covered so I didn't get a slap in the face on the day I start dialysis. I am happy to inform all of you that while I was looking in a drawer for something else, I ran across an insurance book I saved from a couple of years ago. Kidney dialysis IS covered by my insurance. Thank you all for taking the time to answer. Chris

Comment

Working...
            X