Help, I NEED ADVICE! - Welcome to the myDaVita Kidney Disease and Dialysis Forums

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help, I NEED ADVICE!

Page Title Module
Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help, I NEED ADVICE!

Hello there,
    I am 32 yrs old with a eGFR of 18.5. I have PKD, and have gone from 100% function to my current condition within the last 15 months; the sudden onset was due to being pregnant. Currently I am unemployed due to a gallbladder issue that is now resolved. I'm an accountant who normally works full time in very demanding positions. It has been brought to my attention this week that I will need to have a fistula put in ASAP as a way to be proactive. I am also currently looking for a job. My question is, Is it possible to work while on dialysis? My husband is worried that working will be too much. I've even thought about taking a part time position and pursuing my masters degree instead of working full time. I need some perspective! Will I feel better after beginning dialysis or will I feel worse? Help!!! Also I am leaning towards doing at home hemo.
    Help!
    Dani

Hello my name is Donna. I have been on dialysis for 10 years now. In the beginning I worked, but I ha alot of other issues. The main thing is you need to follow what your body says. You can work and do dialysis, but some days your body says no. Going on dialysis willl save your life you really have no choice. Some people work, so don't. Some do dialysis at home. You should talk to the social worker. The hardest part of dialysis is how much time of your life it consumes. 3 days a week - 3-4 hours on the machine. when i was still working I choose the first **** 6-10:30 then I switch to a 3:30 shift cause it was easier to go to work then do the machine. the real question is can you find a job who allow for you to have flex time. I was on my job for over 24 years and at some point it became hard to fully do my job and miss so much time. In the beginning i did home dialysis and I was able to work.

One thing -nobody is able to tell you how you are going to feel. We may all have kidney disease, but other may have diabetes, heart disease, liver disease or cancer etc so we all feel different. Control you water intake and they will need to pull less fluids and after treatment you should feel ok.

I will pray for you. Its emotionally hard when you deal with a life changing event - this will be one.

Comment

I've been on dialysis now for 2.5 years, and I work full-time in manufacturing. I'd suggest that you not try working more than 40 hours a week. Even at that level, between work and dialysis, you'll have little time otherwise. Working part-time AND going to graduate school AND doing dialysis might end up being too much.

Comment

Working...
      X