how do you organize? - Welcome to the myDaVita Kidney Disease and Dialysis Forums

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

how do you organize?

Page Title Module
Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do you organize?

My husband just got his port placed yesterday. I have been reading about the many supplies. I have no problems with keeping sterile room clean. I am interested on how to set everything up in my home and it still look like a home and not a shipping ware house. lol plus maybe some advice on how to organize his area where he will not have problems finding or getting to what he needs. Thanks!!!

Originally posted by Barry46 View Post
    My husband just got his port placed yesterday. I have been reading about the many supplies. I have no problems with keeping sterile room clean. I am interested on how to set everything up in my home and it still look like a home and not a shipping ware house. lol plus maybe some advice on how to organize his area where he will not have problems finding or getting to what he needs. Thanks!!!
    You do mean he is starting Peritoneal Dialysis, correct? The first shipment is the largest and it is not that big, imagine a square about 4 feet by 4 feet and 5 feet high. Basically a pallet of supplies, by pallet I mean the wooden things that you see at Home Depot, Costco, etc...

Just do what you have to at first to get started and things will fall into place as too what you need where. It really is not that big of a difference unless you live in a very small house or apt. PD is so freeing, after you get trained, about 5 days, at which time you actually do the PD you start on a manual until you get your cycler. I got mine in 3 days. It takes about 10 minutes to set up, you connect yourself, go to sleep, and 8.5 hours later you are done, unhook your self, throw away the used supplies and the rest of the day is all yours. Good Luck.

Comment

Thank you! Yes it is pd dialysis. We do live in an apartment, but I think it will be big enough for that amount of supplies!

Comment

Originally posted by Barry46 View Post
        Thank you! Yes it is pd dialysis. We do live in an apartment, but I think it will be big enough for that amount of supplies!
        It will seem like a lot at first, but the only boxes that can't be condensed are the ones with the actual liquids inside. The medical supplies, masks, caps, etc come in bigger boxes than they need to be kept or stored in, don't worry you will like PD, it is a wonderful system, just remember that you can't do PD forever, 5 to 8 years is the average then the peritoneal membrane wears out, actually it becomes thicker over time. The higher amount of solution you use wears it out faster. In other words the 4.5 is worse for you than the 2.5 or 1.5 solutions are. Also getting peritonitis is very bad because it scars the membrane, so be careful about keeping things sterile. Good luck.

Comment

We bought an entertainment centre, lots of storage for all medical supplies plus the cycler sits on the TV shelf with adequate room for dialysis solution bags. After clean-up in the morning, close the doors and you would never know a dialysis patient slept in the room. Storage of boxes however is another matter, we've repurposed what was supposed to be a sunroom/play area for grandchildren. Delivery truck driver loves it as he only has a short distance to walk to stack boxes against wall. I now say that our decor theme is "Baxter"

Comment

My Baxter driver has it easy also, through one door and drop em off. It really is not that big of a deal.

Comment

HHD supplies take up even less space, provided you are using NxStage's Pureflow SL to produce and store the dialysate. The NxStage System 1 Cycler sits on top of the PureFlow SL, which is 30" long by 20" wide by 30" tall. The cycler adds another 20" in height.

Roughly two weeks of treatment supplies can be kept on two shelves and a small footprint of floor in a closet. Bulk supplies of cartridges, dialysate SAK's, water purification PAK's, pre-mixed dialysate (travel and back up in the event of PureFlow SL failure) and treatment supplies are kept in our basement.

A typical monthly supply delivery from NxStage consists of 5 cases of SAK's (2 SAK's per case, 2 treatments per SAK) and 4 cases of cartridges (6 cartridges per case, 1 cartridge per treatment). The bulkiest supply item from the HHD clinic is a case (14 ea. 1 liter bags) of IV Saline for priming the NxStage System 1 cycler cartridge and lines. A single 1 liter bag of saline is required for each treatment. The balance of HHD clinic supplies include: alcohol pads, gauze pads, 10 cc syringes, band aids, paper tape, Chux, and 15 gage dialysis needles. The supply quantities of these items limit the monthly requirement to mostly gauze pads and needles. The other items are replenished every 2 to 4 months and take up very little space. All of this "inventory" is rotated and used on a first in, first out basis, which drives the practice of preventing excessive supply quantities.

Comment

thank yall for the advice!! We will get our first delivery on the 18th!

Comment

You got me thinking. I am wondering if the dialysate that I use for Peritoneal dialysis could be made by the NxStage Pureflow SL also. I will have to call the company and ask them. Why? Because the so called Social Workers and Dieticians that work for Davita are next to worthless. I have emailed these "people" that are supposed to work for Davita and they rarely get back to you. The Dieticians have never gotten back to me with any answers.

Comment

5-8 years on PD only. I was under the impression it could last 15-20 years

Comment

Thank you Loganwon &stumper54 for your very detailed answers. As a caregiver to an almost on dialysis husband, finding clear answers to questions is practically impossible. I find that other patients are more likely to understand what you need to know, and to take the time to respond. Mostly what you get from Da Vita etc. Is a pat answer , and they say go ask a dietician or your nephrologist or whatever. Understandable that everyone is different, but I have been looking for 2 years foe info onwhat foods a person in different stages of. Kidney disease should eat ,and it is all so generalized. I can't find a dietician that specializes in kidney disease, his nephrologist is useless to talk to unless he's prescribing meds. No info whatsoever. Anyway, thank you for giving a detailed answer to someone's question. It helps everyone who reads it!! 😊

Comment

great info you guys thats so much

Comment

Working...
                        X