Another newbie to PD - Welcome to the myDaVita Kidney Disease and Dialysis Forums

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another newbie to PD

Page Title Module
Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you for your reply - I did not know that was my GFR - same as the %. Now I know. I will be checking all the information I can about PD.

Comment

Great answer to Brian! As I have only begun this journey, I had no idea about the CAPD requirement before I start the nightly treatment - my doctor only told me that the PD was my best option and that it would be done at night. I too am working and wonder how I will handle the CAPD requirements - did you have to take off time for that??

Comment

Hello everybody,
        Sorry to hear about your situation I'm currently going through all of it myself this is my second day of Pd and in that time I've done 8 bag exchanges been plunged with heprin had a leak in the valve at the exchange place my first time doing it on my own at home had to go back in this morning had it replaced and pumped ful of antibiotics and after all that with the freedom and so far not feel to bad I would say Pd the way to go plus it's healthier for you ask yourself this would you rather your kidneys work seven days a week or three days a week to three hours in that day does the rest of the time the toxins build back up your potassium stays elevated to hold fluid and you run the risk of further complications

Comment

You are the first person who I think is responding to something I wrote - I am truly desperate to contact someone who is doing the PD treatments at this time so I can get more questions answered. So - Mmm97800: if you have time, please give me a clearer picture how you ended up on PD and how much training was involved. I requested information for NXSTAGE and they sent me information about home dialysis - with the port stuck in your arm to filter the blood at home, not the PD treatment. I am still waiting to find out more about this process and welcome anything you can tell me.

Comment

Hi, MJHAIDER! Good for you for doing your research and trying to find the best modality option for you. If you contact Guest Services, they will be able to discuss PD with you and get you the answers you need. They can be reached at 1-800-400-8331.

Comment

Hi I'm Linda and just recently started PD on Monday ..I have to admit I was very nervous about doing it becaus I didn't know what to expect, but it wasn't as scarey as I thought at all..my GFR is 8 , and I thought for sure I would have a transplant before I'd ever have to have dialysis but it didn't work out that way for me at least not now.. I thought I was crazy when I couldn't even walk from one room to another..I was never sick my whole life and for this to happen really shocked me...but it could be worse..I'm a God person so I have a lot of faith ...don't be afraid...PD is an easier and gentle way to clean ur body of all its toxins..although it removes the bad toxins it also removes some of ur protein so make sure to eat enough things with protein..once u start The staff will send in a dietician to discuss what u should do to keep u healthy..u will be surprised as I was at the things u will be able to eat that u didn't before..watch ur intake of potassium and phosphorus that is the key of staying on a good path..don't be afraid u will do great ..today I will be doing PD at home manually at first so in the event of a hurricane we can still take care of ourselves...then once we hook up at night our lives will change...have faith...I'm here if u need me ...be well..

Comment

Hi I'm Linda and just recently started PD on Monday ..I have to admit I was very nervous about doing it becaus I didn't know what to expect, but it wasn't as scarey as I thought at all..my GFR is 8 , and I thought for sure I would have a transplant before I'd ever have to have dialysis but it didn't work out that way for me at least not now.. I thought I was crazy when I couldn't even walk from one room to another..I was never sick my whole life and for this to happen really shocked me...but it could be worse..I'm a God person so I have a lot of faith ...don't be afraid...PD is an easier and gentle way to clean ur body of all its toxins..although it removes the bad toxins it also removes some of ur protein so make sure to eat enough things with protein..once u start The staff will send in a dietician to discuss what u should do to keep u healthy..u will be surprised as I was at the things u will be able to eat that u didn't before..watch ur intake of potassium and phosphorus that is the key of staying on a good path..don't be afraid u will do great ..today I will be doing PD at home manually at first so in the event of a hurricane we can still take care of ourselves...then once we hook up at night our lives will change...have faith...I'm here if u need me ...be well..

Comment

I'm learning PD but I'm not sure if I should do it manually in the day or use the machine at night. Also I have cats that I couldn't bare to give up. Can they be in the room after I hook up if I do it at night? I would appreciate feedback.

Comment

I would enjoy the during the day but keep them out of your room at night...they will adjust, I have 5 cats. They are disease carries with their little catbox feet so I keep them out of my bedroom. I also have a plant in there that doesn't get eaten!

Comment

I work all day so I don't have the option of enjoying them. I'm supposed to try and live a normal life. Right now I feel like I have to give up the most important things.

Comment

Hi Coastie,

I am from Great Neck, so I know your dilemma with short summers.
                        I was able to shower within 2 weeks installed to allow it to heal properly. You just need to make sure it is secured so you don't pull it.
                        The training for PD and the actual treatment procedures are easy. You just have to be careful to maintain cleanliness during the therapy.
                        Baxter is usually the company that brings your supplies. You can order them by phone or online. Once you meet your delivery guy, it usually is the same one, so you build that relationship with him. As far as swimming. you cannot take baths or go in a Jacuzzi. The swimming pool you use needs to be well chlorinated. I was doing in-center Hemo 3 times a week and then switched to PD. I am very happy I did. Good luck Buddy.

Comment

I started PD while I sleep Jan.14th-ish. Had the catheter place the day after Christmas. I have had a really rough time of it ever since. I got peritonitis and some kind of "bug" and gerd that all had to be treated Then while treating the peritonitis I got extremely dehydrated, B/P dropped below 100 for both #'s, I couldn't stand or walk w/out passing out. My potassium was really.low. Had to have a saline "drip" to get fluid back on me....I absolutely felt so bad I did not know if I was going to make it. I couldn't eat or hardly drink-didn't want to. Couldn't keep anything on my stomach (either way). I was scared. Antibiotics for almost 2mo My doc saw me and was very concerned. PD is good in some ways and it is nice to have someone that can be your support, but there are times I feel like I want to go back to hemo....If anyone is considering it, atleast try it and see...the least you can say is you tired. You have to have space for the supplies. I get a shipment every 2wks. and I keep up w/everything I need for PD DIALYSIS. We'll see how I feel after I reach the 1yr mark. I just feel so tired all the time. In some aspects certain parts of my health are better(the kidney part), but in other areas, my health has gone down. I hope things will change for the better soon.
                          Last edited by jcvan56; 09-03-2015, 09:59 PM. Reason: misspelled words.

Comment

jcvan56-I am a big believer in second opionions. My husband had a port put in 4 weeks ago and it has been smooth sailing. I realize everyone is different and no two scenarios are they same but getting another nephrologist to look at your situation and working with a dietician are the key to success. My husband is 53 years old and a police officer, he has been able to go back to work within 2 weeks of PD. He feels more energetic, he is eating MUCH better and his "cloudiness" of thought is gone!

I wish you the very best!

Comment

My GFR is 16%. I'm scheduled to have a fistula surgically created in one month just in case I need hemo dialysis. I plan to do PD, most likely using the cycler at night so I can continue working. My biggest issue right now is that I just bought a hot tub for arthritic therapy. I'm reading a lot about not being able to get in hot tubs. This really is upsetting me. I hurt so bad as I gave arthritis in my knees, ankles back and neck. My knees and back are the worst. Does anyone have a hot tub? Only me and my husband would be using it.

Comment

Hi mglockerman that is a great question. You should discuss PD catheter placement with your nephrologist and surgeon. PD catheters can be placed high on the abdomen and upper chest which may allow you to eventually enter your hot tub. Unfortunately submerging your exit site in water is never recommended so you should ask about the placement options. Some women will have PD Catheter placed in upper mid chest so its under bra area. That may be a great option for you. Good luck and reach out with questions at any time. MichelleDaVitaRN

Comment

Working...
                                X