What do you want to know about home dialysis? - Welcome to the myDaVita Kidney Disease and Dialysis Forums
Close Mobile Navigation

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you want to know about home dialysis?

Page Title Module
Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you want to know about home dialysis?

What questions do you have about home dialysis? Ask them here and DaVita nurse, Michelle Cassin, will respond throughout the week!

Michelle, I am fixing to have a abdominal catheter installed on Tuesday. I have not received any information concerning what takes place after the port is installed. I take it that the Cardio Surgeon or Nephrologist will let me know what happens next is that correct? I have quite a few questions. One is a relatively simple one. I typically get up during the night to urinate at least twice prior to getting up at 0430 AM on work days. How will having the PD affect that issue? Is there a machine that removes & replaces the distillate in my abdomen? What will determine how long I am on dialysis at night?

Comment

Dean54M thank you for reaching out. I would encourage you to
      Connect with the PD RN at you dialysis clinic on Monday who may be able to provide you with pre op instruction and PD catheter marking to ensure proper placement typically above or below belt line. You want to address constipation before and after surgery to avoid issues with catheter patency. Make sure you have a post op appointment with the PD clinic so you can have sterile dressing changes performed, monitor healing and schedule PD training. Urination at night may decrease depending on your dialysis regimen, fluid intake and overall fluid status. Get rest this weekend, reach out with questions and be sure to connect with your dialysis team.
      Michelle Cassin RN CPDN
      Nashua NH

Comment

MIchelle I did end up stopping by the Davita clinic that I will be receiving my training from to find out more information about a week after my catheter was installed in my abdomen. My Nephrologist Nurse had already called the clinic and the PD Nurse was going to contact me so it worked out real well. They changed my dressing as you stated and set me up for my 1st intake session. I did go to the intake session & as the Nurse said test drove my catheter. Everything worked as it was supposed to so I am looking forward to my 1st full blown training session. I will post on these forums with questions & comments as I progress in my journey with PD. By the way in my original meeting with the 2 PD nurses I mentioned about some of the items I had read about on the forums over the past couple of years &swerve happy to hear I had done some homework. So kudos to these forums.

Comment

Dean54M That is great news We are here to support your journey and happy to answer any questions you may have moving forward. Please don't hesitate to reach out in the future.

Comment

Just wanted to update the forum for any new PD patients like myself. The Davita Clinic that I am doing my training with has been great. The PD Nurse Gail is very patient and does a fantastic job of helping me feel comfortable in my training sessions. She is extremely thorough and very encouraging. I believe having a positive attitude has been conducive to absorbing the information Gail is teaching me. I appreciate the information I have gotten from reading these forums. It has been very helpful in having a head start on my training. Thanks to all who share their experiences.

Comment

Hi Dean54M, thank you so much for sharing!

Comment

My husband is considering in home dialysis. He is concerned because he loves his cats. Would we have to give the cats away?

Comment

Great question josteffy. From one pet lover to another your husband does not need to give away his cats. We absolutely recommend that pets be kept out of treatment area because they can increase infection risk. Cats specifically love the warmth generated from cycler and the movement of the lines and we do see cases of peritonitis related to feline organisms. Just ensure your husband can close door at night if on cycler or perform CAPD during day in a room that is not accessible to the cats. Thanks for sending your question and good luck on your journey as a caregiver. We appreciate all you do.
                  Michelle Cassin RN
                  Nashua NH

Comment

My father is new to dialysis and we are considering home dialysis. I would like to be trained to do his dialysis and be his caregiver. How can we do this.

Comment

Vickie61 I would suggest you attend an appointment with your father's nephrologist and discuss next steps. Typically the nephrologist will help your father with the plan to initiate home dialysis. Depending on what stage of kidney disease your father is in, he may still require surgery to place his permanent access. Once your father has discussed dialysis options with his nephrologist he will then have his access placed. Once his access is placed a training schedule will likely be set up with a home dialysis RN. You would attend the training sessions provided by the PD or HHD RN in the facility until your father is ready to begin dialyzing at home. If you can attend the next nephrology appointment together you should be able to get more detail on timing and next steps. Good luck on your journey towards home dialysis.

Michelle Cassin RN
                      Nashua NH

Comment

what if you do not have a care person

Comment

Hi cfbearden1 in general, care partners are required for specific types of home dialysis and strongly recommended for others. If you are interested in home therapies and you don't have a care partner I would recommend discussing home dialysis options with your nephrologist. Thank you for your question. McassinDaVitaRN

Comment

Hi.
                            SO many questions. We just got the news that we are on the cusp of stage 5, still stage 4. Dr wants to jump in to have fistula surgery right away. We learned about home dialysis and MUCH prefer that.
                            Is that okay for a diabetic?
                            If dialysis isn’t starting yet (“could be next week, could be within the year, we don’t know. Definitely in less than a year) can we hit pause and not get the catheter or fistula for a while?
                            I keep reading a lot about a catheter not being a good plan and a fistula is better, but isn’t that just for in center use? WE don’t want to be in a center if we don’t have to be, and the Dr agreed (but it seems like he isn’t telling us these things- we are stumbling around and finding them ourselves).
                            Can a diabetic be a candidate for a transplant?

Stumbling around in the dark…or on internet research overload. Thanks.

Comment

I'm hoping to start Home dialysis because Hemo is making me so sick. Do people feel better on home dialysis?

Comment

Working...
                              X