X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pain in abdomin

I have been on PD for a 3 weeks now I have been experiancing some uncomfortable lower stomach pain they switch me to alternating bags 1.5 and 2.5 but its still there
    Has anyone else had this happen to them and what did you find was the problem
    thanks for listening

Re: Pain in abdomin

Originally posted by David View Post
    I have been on PD for a 3 weeks now I have been experiancing some uncomfortable lower stomach pain they switch me to alternating bags 1.5 and 2.5 but its still there
    thanks for listening
    It is a similar discomfort too for me, When i was performing dailaizes manually for the first time. I have no disformfort at all. But wnen i started on the machine i felt yucky also and very bloated. Maybe the manual way is another option available out there.

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
      thanks for listening
      David,

When you recieve the pain, it it whie you are draining and more towards the end of the drain?
      Sometimes the cathetar will suck up against the wall when the fluid is being removed. How bad is the pain?
      NxStage - Since April - 06
      Facebook: Dialysis Discussion Uncensored

Comment

I have some cramping when I am filling up, more so on the cycler but I find a better position and that usually helps. When I was on manuals I would get "drain pain" at the end of the drain, you can close the connector a little and that will help it not be so bad.
        Please explain when you get the pain more and maybe somone can help.
        [I]Learning to dance in the rain....

Peritoneal dialysis 1 yr.
        GFR 12
        On Transplant list 2 yrs.
        On hold now for 6 mths. due to heart problem corrected with stents.

Comment

I have been on dialysis for about 2 months now. I started with manual PD. Now I am on the cycler at night. I too had pain occasionally with the manual PD and usually my drain would completely stop when the pain started. The first two nights on the cycler was torture. Everytime it would start to drain I would be in tremendous pain. They kept thinking something was wrong with my cath. but could not find anything with the tests. Now that I am a month into the machine, I think I am beginning to learn how to manage the pain. I have learned that if I lay on my left side (the side my cath is on) it helps some during drain. The doctor has instructed me to add heprin to my bags when I feel it is necessary. I think it is going to work. Night before last I started hurting on 3rd drain. Last night I added heprin and was in pain for first two drains, but then it subsided for the rest of dialysis. Maybe the heprin kicked in.

I have mixed emotions. I hate that anyone else is going through what I am going through. But on the other hand it helps to know that I am not alone. So lets just hang in there together and make the best of our situation.

Comment

been on pd machine for a week now and ready to give it up Drain pain is like giving birth to an elephant. is drain pain common on pd or am i doing something wrong. i feel yucky in the morning after and stomach cramping throughout the day just hate to hook up again and repeat the cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by debby55 View Post
              been on pd machine for a week now and ready to give it up Drain pain is like giving birth to an elephant. is drain pain common on pd or am i doing something wrong. i feel yucky in the morning after and stomach cramping throughout the day just hate to hook up again and repeat the cycle.
              Sorry to hear that you're having so much trouble. Keep working with your nurse and doctor the figure out the source. Some have found relief by leaving a little fluid in - called "tidal PD" but your doc and nurse will know what to do. In addition to these forums, you can also get help in the dedicated Home Dialysis Groups. At the top of this webpage, go to "Groups" and choose Home Dialysis. There's a group called Peritoneal Dialysis Newcomers that might be able to provide some insight from their own experience. Wishing you luck and a speedy solution...

Comment

I"ve been on the cycler since March and have drain pain evey night, they told me different things to try, but nothing seems to work except crimping the catherer tube for a few minutes at a time, just to break up the pain. I am taking xanax to help me sleep thru the pain, but now it's stopped working and i do not want to rely on sleep meds to help. It's so frustrating and sometimes i think i'll just do fistula, but there are too many restrictions that way. Just live with it i guess :/

Comment

I'm so glad to have found this forum, but sad to know so many others have pd pain like me. I've been doing pd for about 6 months now. I had extreme pain while on the machine right from the start, so they had me switch to manual exchanges. The drain pain has slowly sub-sided over time, but I still occasionally have fill pain. My main complaint is that I often have pain and discomfort at random times during the day - not while being hooked up. I have burning pain in my stomach and in my intestines as. It's not peritonitis and doesn't seem to be triggered by specific foods. My doctor and nurse act like they've never heard of anyone with these symptoms while on pd. I'm very frustrated with them.

Comment

I have been on PD with a cycler and some manual exchanges for over a year and a half. During the first year I had occasional incomplete drains and pain in the groin area when the drain cycles were finishing. Over time the pain became less frequent, less severe, and has now almost totally gone away. Likewise, draining problems are also much less of a problem. Of course my experience is anecdotal but may give some hope to others who are just starting out. I have been fortunate so far in using the cycler just once every third day. Some PD nurses said I would not have had the pain and drain problems if I needed the cycler more often. I am not sure who is right about that.

Comment

I have been on home PD with manual exchanges for about a month. When I started PD I had pain in my right shoulder after the first exchange (using 2.5%). I thought that this might be due to air getting into my peritoneum. The pain did not go away and got worse - going into my neck, back, and sides. My rib cage hurt when inhaling. I finally decided that the pain was due to fluid build-up. I started using the 4.5% bags ( two a day) and the pain went away. I still get some pain and need to use the 4.5% about one a day. I had a PET test done to see what type of membrane I have - haven't gotten the results back yet - but I bet it will show that my membrane doesn't remove fluids well.

Comment

Yes, same pain on both manual PD, in draining and filling, and drain pain on the cycler, which I have been on for past three nights. From other posts this seems to be fairly common. It has also happens randomly during the day, much like the gut pain of a stomach virus. PD nurse says my catheter operates very quickly. I could slow down fluid on manual and it would ease off. Not so on cycler, but lying on left side seems to improve things while draining. I too am being awakened by pinching and pain of drains during the night (four). PD nurse and doctor have suggested tidal cycles which leave some fluid in after each drain. I hope to be switched to this in the coming week after KV/t tests are complete. I end final cycle with a small amount of fluid left in for the day, and when that begins to absorb, I have the gut pain. Nurse says some people are more sensitive and it improves with time. It is a trade off. For me, the night-time cycler is so much better than the previous schedule of manual PD every four hours.

Comment

drain pain is like having a monster claw out your innerds. the nurse offered percocent but I didn't want to do rx pain killers. so she gave me tramadol and it does absolutely nothing. NSAIDS have destroyed my kidneys. I wake up screaming at least two times a night (4 cycles) and I disturbe the rest of the household which is not fair. so I am going to ask for Percocet. how do you people feel about this. I have also heard about putting the machine on tidal. I have been taking stool softners and laxatives so this is not a problem. i'm glad i'm not the only problem w this .

thanx for reading. Cyn

Comment

I get drain pain when it is at the end (I do manual for about 2 weeks now). At the end is no big deal, means it is over and I just stop. Now I have been getting it on the fill for about the first 1/2 of bag. Found if I stand up it does not hurt.

Comment

I had a lot of pain at first on the cycler. Nurse programmed it to tidal program. Also I found that once I hook up, If I sit on a stool that has about 4 inch cushion on it and sit kind of curled over, and legs apart, the pain isn't as bad and sometimes goes away completely. That's been my saving grace. Think you really just have to try different positions, even stopping the machine, standing and trying different positions and turning back on. I'm so glad to find something that works for me! The drain was torture.

Comment

Working...
                              X