Close Mobile Navigation

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Home Hemo Training - BikerChick...for you!

Page Title Module
Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Hemo Training - BikerChick...for you!

I decided to go for Home Hemo for several reasons:

3 1/2 hrs in a chair was boring. And it ate up my day (11am to 2:30). And I didn't feel like doing much else afterward.

It's gentler on the bod. (I feel no different after I'm done.

Fluid restrictions (not yet for me, but I would imagine eventually) are less as you dialyze
    more often.

Potassium restrictions are a little more flexible for same reason as above. Altho I don't go around eating bananas and potatoes (I do use 1/2 banana for Protein smoothie)

I can fit it in my schedule. I can do it in my PJ's.

My time went from 3 1/2 hrs to 1 3/4 on Home Hemo (I have residual kidney function).

I like being in control.

I considered PD, but the thought of all that fluid in my gut did not thrill be. I am very active in sports and working out so PD would take away from that.

Downside of Home Hemo.

Does it really save "time". Nope, not yet. I'm a beginner - it takes alittle longer to set up. (Maybe 1/2 hour). Getting the blunts into the buttonholes sometimes takes longer, just because I am a beginner.

There are supplies that need to be stored. And ordered.

I go to the clinic (where I was trained) at least once a month. Doctor, the same.
    (This was all done in the center before). (Not really a big deal, but I am retired).

Doing dialysis more often (5x a week).

I'll add more later - it's early and I am not into writing/computers much.

I'll say that training was intense. But we certainly had some great times. (super fun nurses did the training).

Cindy

Re: Home Hemo Training - BikerChick...for you!

Thank you for some good first hand information that will help others in making their dialysis modality decisions.
    To the stars through difficulty!

Comment

TrikkeChickk,

congratulations! Your finally taking your life back and certainly you will enjoy the comfort of your own home. The biggest benefit is that you can now take advantage of more frequent dialysis which will give you extra years of life. Along the way you will gain so much experience and even more energy to do things. Many people who are doing 6x per week dialysis such as I am let go of blood pressure meds and binders like Renagel, took about 3 months for me for that to happen.

If you have further questions feel free to let us know or send me an IM ...

Once again, congrats switching to home dialysis...

Originally posted by TrikkeChickk View Post
      I decided to go for Home Hemo for several reasons:

3 1/2 hrs in a chair was boring. And it ate up my day (11am to 2:30). And I didn't feel like doing much else afterward.

It's gentler on the bod. (I feel no different after I'm done.

Fluid restrictions (not yet for me, but I would imagine eventually) are less as you dialyze
      more often.

Potassium restrictions are a little more flexible for same reason as above. Altho I don't go around eating bananas and potatoes (I do use 1/2 banana for Protein smoothie)

I can fit it in my schedule. I can do it in my PJ's.

My time went from 3 1/2 hrs to 1 3/4 on Home Hemo (I have residual kidney function).

I like being in control.

I considered PD, but the thought of all that fluid in my gut did not thrill be. I am very active in sports and working out so PD would take away from that.

Downside of Home Hemo.

Does it really save "time". Nope, not yet. I'm a beginner - it takes alittle longer to set up. (Maybe 1/2 hour). Getting the blunts into the buttonholes sometimes takes longer, just because I am a beginner.

There are supplies that need to be stored. And ordered.

I go to the clinic (where I was trained) at least once a month. Doctor, the same.
      (This was all done in the center before). (Not really a big deal, but I am retired).

Doing dialysis more often (5x a week).

I'll add more later - it's early and I am not into writing/computers much.

I'll say that training was intense. But we certainly had some great times. (super fun nurses did the training).

Cindy
      My Blog Site
      Http://www.dailyhemo.org
      sigpic

Comment

Wow...this surely makes me feel like starting dialysis now!!!

Some of my worries aren't exactly over, but I am feeling a lot better after talking to some people here. I did finally get in touch with my vascular surgeon and it appears that the AV fistula in my left arm is what they are shooting for. I really need to chill when it comes to all this stuff. But again, the FEAR is always there nawling at my pant's legs.

My NxStage representative gave me an invitation to the Open House of the new Davita training facility over near my house. So, instead of driving all the way over to the other side of town which would have been close to 28 miles one way, I will only be 13 miles one way. The new Davita center is for HOME training patients only. No clinic. And so, this is where I will be going when I start. At least this is my HOPE.

Now, the question to Cindy here - how did your training go? I know you said you started at a clinic. I will be starting my dialysis at the home training facility. Just wondering how it goes the first day..but I guess you can't answer that one.

The interesting thing about this whole experience - CKD - is the fact that I eat basically anything I want and my numbers show perfect for potassium, phosphorus, PTH, sodium, hemocrit, etc. I don't eat junk and am strict with my diet, most of the time, but I just don't understand my situation. I hear from so many of you that you basically eat nothing, are malnourished and have a hard time with your other numbers.

But believe me, this post as well as others has made me feel so much better about approaching dialysis and getting my head on straight. Thank you so much for your post. Please keep me posted on how you do with this...I have hope now....

Comment

Thank heavens you are feeling better about the situation, Bikerchick. I was starting to feel like I was beating my head against a wall!! Thank you, Cindy, thank you, thank you!!

Comment

Home Hemo training was actually, well, fun! I had great nurses and one tech training me.
            The tech (kelly) started out at an In Center Clinic as a tech...than, oops, she went into kidney failure (due to lupus) but had no idea it was coming. So, w/home hemo, she works full time (4days/week - 10 hrs) and does most of the training. Davita made a good choice w/her - what an inspiration.

Of course, going thru training is exhausting - your training one on one. The first few days they put you on D and explaining what they are doing. Then you gradually start setting up your machine yourself. You are given explicit step-by-step instructions on paper how to do this. The nurse will be establishing button holes for you.

The biggest step is doing your buttonholes yourself. The last week I was put in "isolation"
            (a separate room, but not far away) to do everything myself.

We had alot of laughs, and loudly congratulating our comrades when they "stuck" themselves. There were 3 of us.

It takes about 5 weeks, on average of training.

More to come - it's early....

Cindy

Comment

Chefnancy - yes, I'm a stubborn one when it comes to understanding all that is to come. But you can't explain to someone how to rid yourself of the FEAR. Believe me, I am surprised how well I am handling this and how far I have come (thanks to you and others). But like I stated in another post - it's giving yourself over to dialysis that is the FEAR. I have no more FEAR - I have HOPE and FAITH in this system. I am going in head first and have a little bit more faith that this will work out.

Cindy - well, it sounds easy enough. I would think that if you can get over the needle pricks and the pain of doing it every day for five weeks, it should be a piece of cake once you get home. The only FEAR I have is them sticking me the first time and thereafter.

I thought you would me amused by this story - I had pre-op stuff to do for the vascular surgeon. I had to have blood work - went to the clinic and would you believe they stuck me in five different areas on my right arm and still couldn't get blood to flow. Finally, they stuck me in my leg. Like I told you guys before - I have a dry arm. Hope that doesn't happen when they go to put the fistula together and then can't get blood out of it!

Thanks again for your post. One other question Cindy if you don't mind answering - how old are you? I'm 44 and am wondering if age is a factor in how well home hemo works.

Comment

I am not Cindy, but I have heard of people as old as 78 doing home hemo.

Comment

BC, I will be 60 in June.

As for your blood test numbers:

When you start training, besides the "how to" training, they will be giving you blood tests to see how effective dialysis is. I started out at 2 1/2 hours on the machine, but now I am down to 1 3/4 hr as I have residual kidney function. Also, they will try to determine your dry weight.

I have 1/2 banana in a smoothie everyday. Daily Home Hemo does control your K+ since you do it so often. Also, fluid restrictions are a bit less for the same reason. Since I still pee, I have no restrictions.

Oh yeah, I cheat in a controlled manner, I have 2 oz of toasted raw almonds 3x/week with my wine spritzer. I just measure out the almonds and take phoslo. Have perfect #'s.
                  Also, wine is fine. Alcohol is one of the few "foods" that has no forbidden stuff.

At my center, the nurses established a buttonhole for me. No pain in sticking myself, but still takes longer than setting up the machine. Has alot to do w/being home now, I think.
                  I had no problems at the clinic.

Comment

Bikerchick, I know your next fear is going to be how much it hurts to get stuck while establishing your buttonholes. The answer is to ask for EMLA cream (a prescription item). You put it on about an hour before your appointment and cover it with a non-occlusive bandage (Saran wrap). It numbs the skin so it doesn't hurt very much to get stuck. Once the buttonholes are established there should be no pain.

Comment

Ok friends, I was reading these posts about home hemo dialysis. First off I don't have a fistual I have grafts and AV graft in my upper left arm. I would need to learn about how to stick myself with the 15 gage butterflys and I would be at the house by myself I can see where this is going already. Not good to be alone doing this. I would need someone to be there incase one needle pulled out and i was sleeping or something weird and then the right hand sometimes gets the shakes in it when I am eating and the food spills off the spoon and so I am afraid that the hand would really shake. And does the dialysis center loan or rent the dialysis machine to you and do you replace the filter after every session or do you clean the filter or send it out to be cleaned. but if you are going to use it every day maybe you have a back up filter. That would be wonderful if I could get to do that at home and then I could travel more. I could just take it with me in the motorhome and then do it every night "Do it every night" that sounds like something else. My wife has had ovarian cancer. She is almost declared to be free of the cancer. she just does the chemo every ten weeks just to be on the safe side and and she takes these pills that kills her estrogen but she doesn't feel badly for it Thank the Lord. and so guess what folks? I don't want to go there. I don't want to be telling the world what we are not doing. but I feel good about it. I feel at peace about it. I am so thankful that I have my loving wife at my side, my sweet heart. My best friend. My confidant for the past almost 43 years our wedding anniversary is coming up in July. We were married July 2, 1966. I was in the Army. the US Army and I had one more year to serve and after the wedding the very next day I took her to Fort Bragg , North Carolina where we spent a year in married Bliss and I served my country one more year with my wife at my side far far away from Family and friends and we made it on our own. We lived in a 35 foot trailer off the Army base. Ok I am off the subject. sorry moderator. It won't happen again. promise. But this is about surviving with cancer and Kidney failure. Hers and mine and we are coming together. this is bringing us together like nothing else before. She is my caregiver while I am fighting the issues of the things that kidney failure bring and I am her care giver when she is fighting the issues of the things that cancer brings. loss of hair. she is bald. Her wonderful hair is gone. no eyebrows no eye lashes. but I love her even more that is just the surface things. And when we are in the kitchen and happen to be standing close. I reach out and put my arm around her and pat her on the shoulder and whisper a few I love you's in her ear and when we are in the bed I reach out and put my arm on her shoulder and I say "thank you God for letting me keep my wife for a few more years. I would be so lonely with out her" Maybe on another post I will tell you all about her fight with cancer and we thought that she wasn't going to make i†.

Wendell

Comment

What a wonderful story, Wendell. I enjoyed reading it. We had a few similarities there. My hubby and I married in 1969, I was 17 and he was 22. We will celebrate 40 years together this June.

When we first got married we also lived in a 35' trailer that was only 8' wide! Lived there just over 2 years. LOL! When it got cold the cat's water dish would freeze--inside the trailer! LOL One morning we woke up, had run out of fuel oil, the water heater under the sink had frozen and burst and there was a sheet of ice from one end of the trailer to the other! LOL! Those were the days! We didn't have a tv for the first 6 months and I've always said, "But we didn't even know it." LOL! Wonderful carefree days. Our daughter was born 2 weeks after our 10th anniversary after several years of fertility drugs, so we had many years for just us and I wouldn't trade them for anything.

Lots of good times and hardships through the years. Several times we've been told we wouldn't make it, but the docs don't know everything, for sure! And God is the One who is in control! Amen? How He has blessed us!
                        My Writings

Comment

Wendell & Cassie, love hearing your wonderful stories.
                          ~ddarling~

Comment

orthofeet can provide you nice and branded shoes with good quality

Comment

Working...
                            X