X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hemoglobin of 6

My 31 yr old daughter told me she would not let me take her to the ER. The family doctor on call called w her blood test results from yesterday saying to take her to the ER because her hemoglobin was 5.9. She says no. She hasn't done her PD exchange since last night at 6 PM. I just am at a loss.

Hi Erin,
    Does your daughter live with you? Does she do CAPD? If so, I'm assuming that she has currently skipped about four manual exchanges? If her hemoglobin is only 5.9, she must be feeling very poorly... How long has she been dealing with kidney failure? Has she previously dealt with depression, or received treatment for depression? Is there anyone else in your household, family or life that could support you to convince your daughter to look after herself/make the choice to continue her treatment? I apologize for responding to your post with nothing but a bunch of questions, I'm just not certain what to offer, as a means of advice/support, without knowing some of the basics... (i.e. the reason she hasn't done an exchange since 6 pm, last evening...is she "calling it quits" on treatment? is she just so depleted that she can't bring herself to conduct the exchanges?)
    Ultimately, I suppose there is little that you can do to force her to accept help or to do what's best for her health, but I can't say that, as a parent, I wouldn't still try...whether I physically put her in the vehicle and took her there, called an ambulance or just made her life so miserable with my pushing/hassling that she'd go just to shut me up/make me stop... I know those aren't the most helpful suggestions nor, I'm certain, might they be very successful. I hope, for her own sake - and yours, that she gets help for whatever the underlying issue is and continues her treatments so that she could feel better.

Comment

In Florida you could "Baker Act" her for trying to kill herself. Each State has a different law on the books for holding someone for 72 hours. They would force her to do her treatments or sedate her and then do the dialysis. Clearly she is not thinking straight. Hopefully this situation resolves itself quickly, good luck in the future.

Comment

call an ambulance and take her life is to short to die from not helping your self.

Comment

Not very helpful replys!!!
          I am on CCPD and have a consistent Hgb of 7, and I am able to preform ADLs independently ( slowly yes ).
          Now if your daughter is CCPD , then she has missed a few exchanges( 4+), but that is not a likly cause of a low Hgb. Since her Dr. is concerned enough to send her to the ER, then further evaluation is in order as well as multiple transfusions.
          ---pushing her/harrassing her to go will make things worse between patient & care giver
          ---72 hour hold, good way to loose her from your life
          ---ambulance, unnecessary except for LOC
          What I would do is GUILT her into going by asking if she had her DNR or other advance directives made out along w/ her last will and Testement. Gook Luck

Comment

Originally posted by Loganwon View Post
            In Florida you could "Baker Act" her for trying to kill herself. Each State has a different law on the books for holding someone for 72 hours. They would force her to do her treatments or sedate her and then do the dialysis. Clearly she is not thinking straight. Hopefully this situation resolves itself quickly, good luck in the future.
            I believe in most states with ESRD you have the right to stop treatment even if it ends your life. She is in legal terms dying not trying to kill herself. I may be wrong though.

Comment

@ErinKelly318..I am sorry she is having such a hard time. It sounds like she could possibly be denial. I agree with jsmith2005. Ask her if she has her will and medical directives. Ask her if she has said goodbye to all the people she loves. Yes she may be depressed enough to give up many are. Most people still would not hurt the ones they love so I say try the guilt route. I hope she turns around.

Comment

Working...
              X