Having pets while on CAPD - Welcome to the myDaVita Kidney Disease and Dialysis Forums

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Having pets while on CAPD

Page Title Module
Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having pets while on CAPD

Q: Can I have pets while on CAPD?
    A: I am a dog lover so I can absolutely appreciate the desire to have a pet and keep the ones you have. Typically when your PD RN performs the initial home visit an assessment of the treatment area will be performed. One of the goals for the home visit is to ensure CAPD exchanges can be performed in an optimal space to avoid infection or contamination. Cats tend to be very curious about the CAPD lines and equipment and Cats also carry organisms that have caused Peritonitis in humans. Peritonitis from cats (usually caused by Pasturella multocida) or other domestic animals has been reported in PD patients. The most important reminder is to keep pets out of treatment area and not to leave pets unsupervised around supplies utilized to perform CAPD. Pets are important members of the family so let your dialysis team know if you have them and they can work with you to ensure you remain infection free and your pets stay happy!

Michelle Cassin RN CPDN
    Nashua NH
    Last edited by cassinreed01; 11-30-2015, 08:37 AM. Reason: Add signature

What exactly do they look for when visiting your home for PD? Carpeted rooms,dust level,animals, access to water/bathrooms/power ect? Just wondering for the future.

Comment

Originally posted by 1scaredycat View Post
      What exactly do they look for when visiting your home for PD? Carpeted rooms,dust level,animals, access to water/bathrooms/power ect? Just wondering for the future.
      Some of the things they look for depend on what type of Peritoneal Dialysis you are doing. If you use a cycler then there has to be a nightstand to hold the cycler and bags of solution. Plus an available power source. If you do manual PD; can you move around your house with an IV pole (stairs, etc...).

A sterile environment is of the utmost importance. You should not have pets in the room you do your exchanges. You should also follow every step they teach you for hooking up to the PD catheter and unhooking from the PD catheter to do your exchanges. Also you have to have access to a drain to discharge the used solution when using a cycler. You also have to know how to do both manual and cycler in case of a power blackout.

Also PD requires you to have room to store 40 medium size boxes of supplies. The boxes of solution weigh about 35 - 40 lbs and the cycler weighs about 35 lbs itself. You also have boxes of tape, masks, wipes, and tubing. Peritonitis is a serious and very painful infection, that you want to avoid at all costs. If you get peritonitis you will have to have the PD catheter removed and go back to Hemodialysis for a few months while the new PD catheter is placed and allowed to heal.

Lastly you will want to have an Arterial Venous Catheter (fistula) placed inside your arm. Any placement of catheters must be done in a hospital by a vascular surgeon. A fistula allows you to go to other clinics to do dialysis while you travel. A fistula takes about 6 months to mature before it can be used. You can take your cycler and solutions with you on an airplane and the airline has to fly them for you for free.

For me PD is just buying me time waiting for my kidney transplant. Some people can stay on PD for years, others for only a few months. Mostly it depends on how well your Peritoneal Membrane can filter out the waste products. After awhile your membrane thickens and it will not work anymore. Then you have to go back on Hemodialysis. Getting Peritonitis also damages the membrane and shortens the amount of time you can use PD. Anyway once you hit End Stage Renal Disease, the only real fix is a kidney transplant and most people have to wait years on the list to get one, unless you know a living donor that is a match for you.

Having stage 3 CKD is heading towards stage 5, it is usually just a matter of time, stage 3 basically means your kidneys are damaged, diet can prolong going to stage 5, however you should start planning for the worst and pray for the best outcome. Good luck in the future.
      Last edited by Loganwon; 11-30-2015, 10:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X